Marriage Visitor visa (UK)

I believe I'm fairly up-to-date with the requirements but there are still one or two things that may differ from the requirements for a General Visitor visa.

I have paid a £50 payment to the Registry in the UK to "book" a marriage date for August. I believe that receipt of this payment and email confirmation of the booking for giving notice of intent in April, and then having the ceremony in August will be enough to meet the requirements. I will enclose copies of all the emails regarding the arrangements. We will be returning to Thailand after giving notice and then returning to the UK in August for the actual marriage.

My fiancee is a citizen of Laos but has lived in Thailand for 5+ years on 30-day visa exempt stamps. Her current passport shows this (and she will have completed a border run the day before we apply for the visa) but as it's a fairly new passport it only shows about a year of entry stamps. Her old passport is unavailable.

As a Lao citizen in Thailand she is unable to work (other than being a full-time mother to our baby) or have a bank account, so she and our 11 month old son, who will be travelling with us but who has a UK passport, are entirely supported by me, and I will be sponsoring the trips to the UK. I have a full-time job/work permit/extension and my salary in Thailand and my UK savings will easily demonstrate that both trips can be paid for. Does it matter that she has no bank account, property or job? I own a small condo in Bangkok and rent a family house in Pattaya (on a one year, fairly informal contract). Do I need to provide evidence showing that my fiancee lives there, as this will be difficult because everything is in my name?

The notes on the UK visa page say not to enclose photos with the application. As we live as a family in Thailand and I support my family in cash, do I need to demonstrate our relationship in any other way, or is it enough that we have a child and have made arrangements to marry? I can provide copious photos of our entire 5 year relationship if necessary, but it seems these are no longer required or indeed wanted.

Any advice would be great, especially from anyone who has applied for this type of visa before.

The basic requirements for a marriage visit visa are pretty much the same as for a standard visit visa; i.e.

1. genuine reason for visit,
  2. visit is affordable,
  3. will be suitably accommodated during the visit and
  4. will leave the UK when or before the visa expires.

1) She has a genuine reason for the visit; your marriage.

Provide the receipt for the registry office ceremony plus the confirmation from them of your booking to give notice to show this.

2) You are providing the funds for the visit, so there is no need for your fiancée to have her own bank account. Obviously you need to provide evidence that you have the necessary funds.

3) You haven't mentioned accommodation, but presumably have that sorted. If staying with friends or relatives then a letter from them inviting you to stay and confirming that there is room for you both should suffice.

4) If the ECO accepts that your relationship is genuine then they will also accept that if you return then so will she.

You live together in Thailand and have a child; provide their birth certificate which hopefully names both of you as parents.

Provide whatever evidence you have that you live at the same address, such as letters addressed to each of you or you both jointly.

Provide evidence of your immigration status in Thailand as well as hers.

Provide evidence of where you live now and will be living on your return, if different.

You may find Marriage Visitor visa helpful.

Don't bother with photos; if the ECO feels the need for them then they will ask for them.

As with any visitor visa you need to provide evidence of reasons to return (amongst other things).

You need to show evidence of a settled life in Thailand. Your situation is likely to be as or more important than your fiancée's. She is dependent therefore you must show that you are likely to return to Thailand accompanied by your new wife!

Explain your situation fully, including the visa status of your wife. The ECO will be looking for indications that the visa might be misused.

I cannot see particular weaknesses in the application that might cause issues as long as things are fully explained. Details of your property and financial circumstances are likely to be the most important elements indicating likelihood of returning.

There is nothing to stop you putting a few photos at the back of the application should the ECO feel there is doubt regarding the relationship. I suspect a number of applicants thought a fully documented visual history of a relationship was in order and the ECO's became snowed under by holiday snaps!

Should be straight forward IMO!

There is a valid reason for the trip, it is affordable and there are sound reasons to return.

Just make sure you get the dates right! We had the registrar studying the calender to make sure my fiancee had been in the UK for enough days, OK by one day! Having a child together will confirm this is not a sham marriage!