LED Light Bulbs

Ace of Pop

I've put one of these http://www.mynpe.com/mynpe/more.php?data=116450101022&quantity=1&c=class2 on the mains connector of all our LED and electronic fluorescent ballasts when I replaced dead units.

Sleeve the wires of course.

For 11 Baht and a few minutes work it has to be worth it.

116450101022.jpg

What does that do?

It's an MOV surge suppressor that clamps any spikes or surges over the rated value of the MOV selected. It has an extremely fast response time killing spikes before they can get to the device it is attached to. A video explaining it, just change the 1xx Volts to 2xx.

I just bought a quality power strip with them built into it for my media center.

post-566-0-89756800-1455597911_thumb.jpg

I've put one of these http://www.mynpe.com/mynpe/more.php?data=116450101022&quantity=1&c=class2 on the mains connector of all our LED and electronic fluorescent ballasts when I replaced dead units.

116450101022.jpg

What does that do?

It's an MOV surge suppressor that clamps any spikes or surges over the rated value of the MOV selected. It has an extremely fast response time killing spikes before they can get to the device it is attached to. A video explaining it, just change the 1xx Volts to 2xx.

I just bought a quality power strip with them built into it for my media center.

attachicon.gifapc.jpg

As I see it can handle 8000 A, which I think is a bit extreme, why isn't it sufficient to put just one of these where the mains enters the fuse box?

116450101022.jpg

What does that do?

attachicon.gifapc.jpg

Do you only need one MOV, or do you use several in series? Is there a 'whole house' or 'whole master breaker' MOV solution, besides grounding?

As I see it can handle 8000 A, which I think is a bit extreme, why isn't it sufficient to put just one of these where the mains enters the fuse box?

These are transient absorbers, that is they respond to short spikes and that 8000A is not continuous but for a short period usually in microseconds up to 2ms max. They respond usually in picoseconds to clamp the voltage. If the transient is quite long then they will fail, usually in the shorted position. They also have a finite life time which is usually accumulative.

BTW, you can put them on the mains entering the house but from the mains to the equipment has another length of wire that can in itself induce a spike so you still need one at the appliance.

What does that do?

I have an 80,000A unit at the supply incomer, then the 8,000 ones on all the aircon units (at the unit) and scattered around the electronic light fittings.

My PC has three of the 8,000A units in a home build traily as well as an AVR and UPS, both with surge protection built in.

In a location with the levels of lightning we get, and a mostly overhead distribution system, you can never have too many or too much transient absorption capability.

The big unit on the incomer takes the edge off the surge, but its clamp voltage is >420V, the smaller units with a lower clamp voltage finish off the remains.

Even with that lot, a direct hit on the LV supply lines will send everything into orbit sad.png

Thanks all ,when i see them in nearby shops I'll try them. I must avoid Home Pro , I buy things she wants.[emoji87]

I know what you mean, went in for some screws, came out with 30 Grand's worth of Samsung washer :(

Archived