PM Prayut calls on Thai people to learn from past lessons to reform country

webfact

PM calls on Thai people to learn from past lessons to reform country

BANGKOK, 16 February 2016 (NNT) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha called on the Thai public to understand and learn from past lessons in order to reform the country.

The premier commented that if the people allowed corrupt activists or politicians to get elected, the country could not escape from a democratic trap.

He said all 70 million Thai citizens are dutifully bound to help solve the country’s problems by taking into account the interests of the nation.

He said the government has given priorities to the problems of the country for which a large sum of budget would be needed to solve. The government cannot fix them alone and need help from all the parties and people, he said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-16 footer_n.gif

Learn from lessons of the past, take into account the interests of the nation etc and does this include the role of the military and their readiness to take the country over every time a senior officer decides it's his turn to be PM ?

Incidentally isn't there a famous quote about the past and repeating it which is all too relevant here ?

Learn from the past is the suggestion? Honestly all things considered it's questionable if most Thai people have mastered thinking. Problem solving is out. Advancing educationally is out or at least questionable. Love of country is not visible... but me me me me me is; corruption is anti Thai well being. Sooooooooooooo learn from the past? lol Around here the main focus is on eating/drinking/taking a nap/ making love NOW. No yesterday/tomorrow .....

Learn from the past is the suggestion? Honestly all things considered it's questionable if most Thai people have mastered thinking. Problem solving is out. Advancing educationally is out or at least questionable. Love of country is not visible... but me me me me me is; corruption is anti Thai well being. Sooooooooooooo learn from the past? lol Around here the main focus is on eating/drinking/taking a nap/ making love NOW. No yesterday/tomorrow .....

Ignoring the racist elements of your post, I'd like to say many farang could learn from living in the NOW. Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level.

Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level.

Like the fish vendor that cut the Russians ear off?

Or the go go girls that beat up the Canadian teachers?

Or the boat captains that keep killing tourists in assorted ways?

Or the coach drivers that crash their coach then run off and hide?

If they really are so far above us foreigners 'spiritually' ....... why are there so many Thai prostitutes?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Ignoring the racist elements of your post, I'd like to say many farang could learn from living in the NOW. Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level.
Can you elaborate by providing just one good example?

Coups start far more problems than they solve. The good general is more in needj of reflection than the Thai people. He still thinks he knows best; funny and sad to watch. Wonder if he will sing for the attendees in California.

Don't forget his glove puppet.

Would that mean two of them performing at the same time ?

My first literal laugh out loud moment here in quite a while. Well done.

He said all 70 million Thai citizens are dutifully bound to help solve the country’s problems by taking into account the interests of the nation.

Governments created the problems for the citizens to solve...citizens can't solve the problems because government did not provide the tools and knowledge for problem solving...

expel those useless citizens, and government can govern itself, problems solved

Its not racist to speak the truth, Thais are not superior in their religion the fact is laughable.

I disagree. If I said something like black people can't swim well because they are less buoyant, I'd be inundated by cries of racism.

I never mentioned religion.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

He called upon the 70 million Thais to take their duty bound responsibility while his institution robbed them time and time again of their rights and build even higher walls in the charter to deprive them even more rights. Talk about a moron and his oxymoron.

"Thai public to understand and learn from past lessons" and "escape from a democratic trap".

I really starting to like this guy - everyday he seems to shoot himself in the foot. Sometimes I do think "OK, now it cannot get any more crazy" but then he comes up with these wonderfully idiotic statements.

Yep democracy is a trap - better to have a one-person rule. It reduces all these discussions, analysis, critique etc. that is so annoying in any democratic society. They have a happiness index of 100% in North Korea and they have avoided the democracy trap.

As for understanding and learning from the past....well with the current education that is not going to happen soon. How much history is actually taught in schools apart from rote learning the different kings?
With an apparently prominent Thai historian stating that you cannot analyse and research the last 50 years of Thai history, well that means you can't learn from the very many different military coups.

Then what did you mention. I must admit I waiting breathlessly for you to explain exactly how "Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level", because that's not my experience at all.

Or are you a troll?

Spirituality is what I mentioned. If you think this is religion then how on Earth could I begin to explain the reasons why Thais are very spiritual people, especially if you read these threads that are full of Thai-hating posters(yes hating).

I wonder how many of the temples you are surrounded by you have been to.

Ever done a meditation retreat here? People come from all over the world for these retreats. I guess you came for other reasons.

So Thais are well "above most of us" because some of them are "spiritual"? Forgive a raging atheist for calling BS on that.
My life has peace and a sense of purpose, I, however, would not consider myself "spiritual". Many of the Thais I know, who you would call spiritual, going to meditation retreats, temple "sleep overs" and all that other spiritual stuff do not seem to be any better for their spirituality. In fact I find a lack of purpose in life in most Thais I know quite frightening. "Purpose in life" in this sense means purpose for yourself and your family, setting yourself targets - not saving the whale or feeding street dogs. And I am an atheist too. My time in the monkhood many many years ago showed me what a scam Bhuddism is in Thailand - apologies to the few genuine practitioners both behind the robes and lay people.

And back on subject, the army needs to eff off out of politics and running the country. And the people in whose pay they are operating need to be made to pay for running the country as their personal company/bank/fiefdom. Monopolies need to be broken, prospective MPs with family links to big business need to be banned due to conflict of interest and a total lack of neutrality, colour coded media needs to be banned (or at least brought under control so that they can no longer use falsehoods to indoctrinate their listeners), defamation laws need to be revoked or amended so that they can no longer be used as a tool to silence critics, the law needs to be applied equally to all and sundry (drag the Redbull kid back to Thailand by his balls, don't simply slap that underage driver on the wrist for causing so many deaths - lock her up, etc.), be seen to actually use the law and be fair and the general public would soon be behind you (perhaps not the people with fancy number plates or "big" family names who stand to lose their untouchable status). That is just a few ideas. There are so many things that could be done.

Thai people (the vast majority) can easily learn from past lessons, but they are not given the opportunity to really do anything. It is those with the real power who do not want to reform the country. They like the current status quo.

Rant over.

""He said all 70 million Thai citizens are dutifully bound to help solve the countrys problems by taking into account the interests of the nation.""

But if they can't discuss or give constructive critism due to fear of being arrested then how are they duty bound?

Hey, Thailand. Here's a unique idea.

When other democratic countries are dissatisfied with their governments they vote them out at the next election.

Just a thought...

But...but...They are offering 1000bt for my vote, beside buying my paddy at 20000bt per tonne...and I can get into more debts...and...

Hey, Thailand. Here's a unique idea.

When other democratic countries are dissatisfied with their governments they vote them out at the next election.

Just a thought...

But...but...They are offering 1000bt for my vote, beside buying my paddy at 20000bt per tonne...and I can get into more debts...and...

How about take that 1000 Baht from the Dem and don't vote for them. Win win.