British PM David Cameron seeks new deal for membership at EU summit

webfact

British PM seeks new deal for membership at EU summit

606x341_324668.jpg

"'This is a make or break summit, I have no doubt,' European Council President Donald Tusk."

BRUSSELS: -- Britain’s prime minister is in Brussels for an EU summit and desperate to secure a new membership deal for his country. Just months away is a referendum that will decide whether Britain leaves the EU permanently and both David Cameron’s government and the voters are split on whether to leave or not. Leaders of the 28 nation bloc have described the summit as the best chance of preventing Britain leaving.

David Cameron wants to limit the benefits migrants can receive once they reach Britain but he’s facing resistance from Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. He also wants safeguards to protect London’s financial sector from decisions binding the 19 EU members using the Euro, for Britain to be excluded from “ever closer” union and for greater competition within the bloc.
Cameron wants to gain more concessions out of the EU and present it to British voters as a victory and, so he hopes, encourage them to vote to stay in the union.

“If we can get a good deal, I’ll take that deal but I will not take a deal that doesn’t meet what we need. I think it’s much more important to get this right than to do anything in a rush. But with good will, with hard work, we can get a better deal for Britain,” Cameron told reporters as he arrived for the summit.

European Council President Donald Tusk made it clear how just important renegotiating Britain’s membership is: “This is a make or break summit, I have no doubt,” he said.

However the migrant crisis is more important to most EU leaders attending the summit. Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras hopes he can reassure the bloc that Greece can cope with and document all the migrants arriving on its shores.

But four sceptical eastern European members have floated a fallback policy of ringfencing Greece to keep the migrants they expect to land there from proceeding through Macedonia and Bulgaria to other EU countries.

The massive arrival of refugees and migrants from Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East and North Africa has opened deep rifts within the EU, with members states often ignoring calls from Brussels to share the burden more evenly.

Although migrant arrivals from Turkey have fallen sharply in recent days, many EU members distrust Ankara and worry that the recent drop in arrivals may just be a winter lull.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-02-19

One can only hope that Cameron has the balls to stick to what he is saying and not be brow beaten by the other European leaders, his objective should be to look after the British people & if it means opting out of the EU so be it.

Cameron faces off with 27 EU leaders in 'battle for Britain'
By JILL LAWLESS and RAF CASERT

BRUSSELS (AP) — Prime Minister David Cameron faced off Thursday against the 27 other European Union leaders, telling them to grant his country a new deal to settle the festering issue of their relationship or face a possible divorce as soon as this summer.

Pressure mounted for a deal Friday at the end of a two-day summit, after initial talks dragged through the night and highlighted differences across the continent.

Cameron said he was "battling for Britain" at a Brussels summit - and for a less intrusive EU that would benefit other countries, too. But French President Francois Hollande warned that no individual leader should be allowed to stop closer European cooperation.

"It's the EU in question, not just one country in the EU," Hollande said as he arrived. "I want Britain to stay in the EU. But I hope most of all that Europe can advance, can be stronger."

Cameron is seeking changes to the U.K.-EU relationship that will let him urge Britons to vote "yes" to continued membership in a referendum that could come as early as June.

He told his fellow leaders that he needed a substantial deal that would be "credible for the British people." The British referendum on EU membership is bound to be hard-fought, since few issues in Britain have as much resonance as its relationship with the EU.

"The question of Britain's place in Europe has been allowed to fester for too long," Cameron said. He warned Britain would walk away if the deal was not good enough.

"If we can get a good deal, I will take that deal. But I will not take a deal that doesn't meet what we need," Cameron said.

The leaders discussed Britain's reform aims before a six-hour dinner meeting focusing on the migrant crisis. When the politicians finally dispersed at 2:30 a.m. (0130GMT), EU President Donald Tusk said they had "made some progress but a lot remains to be done" to secure a deal for the U.K.

A British official said gaps remained on key issues. Bilateral talks and negotiations by diplomats and lawyers continued through the night before the 28 leaders reconvene for breakfast Friday.

Britain, which has one of the strongest economies in Europe, has been a magnet for hundreds of thousands of workers from eastern EU nations who are seeking higher-paying jobs. Britain has no power to stop immigration from other EU nations, leading some in Britain to say that immigrants are taking their jobs. The EU immigrants can also claim unemployment, child care and other benefits in Britain, which Cameron's government says is straining the country's social services budget.

Since none of the 27 other leaders wants to see Britain leave, there is broad consensus, if not agreement, on a deal which Cameron says he needs to win the referendum. It would give Britain more powers to limit benefit payments to workers from other EU countries for several years - something Britain says will slow the pace of immigration. The draft deal also offers guarantees to countries, including Britain, that do not use the shared euro currency, and makes tweaks aimed at boosting competitiveness and giving national parliaments more power.

But differences remain on key details.

One European official said a main source of tension was the length of time Britain's limit on welfare benefits would last, with Cameron pushing for 10 years and Eastern European countries pushing for three or four. The official spoke on condition of anonymity, since the discussions were not public.

The lingering disputes belie the fact that the other member states cherish Britain as an economic and diplomatic giant in a struggling EU.

"I'm going into this debate with the position that we would like to do everything to create the conditions so that Great Britain can remain part of the European Union," German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.

Cameron argues for a "live and let live" union in which some countries move ever closer together while others remain semi-detached. That grates against the wishes of France, Germany and others who believe strongly in an "ever closer union" among as many members as possible.

Britain has long been a half-hearted member of the EU, staying out of both the euro currency and the passport-free Schengen travel zone. The perception of increasing Brussels meddling in affairs many Britons considered sovereign issues made the time ripe for a U.K. referendum.

Cameron said he would not stop other EU members striving for more unity, but insisted Britain should have ironclad guarantees that it could stay on the sidelines.

Cameron has lobbied relentlessly for months, visiting 20 EU nations and speaking to all the other leaders to bring the EU to the cusp of an agreement many had thought impossible. But even if he gets a deal, he will face loud opposition from anti-EU forces at home, including many members of his own Conservative Party.

U.K. Independence Party leader Nigel Farage, who wants Britain to leave the EU, said the changes Cameron was seeking were trivial.

"It's not worth a row of beans, whatever he gets," Farage said.

France's president, by contrast, warned against offering Britain too many concessions, saying that could cause other members to want special exceptions too. Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel insisted that the agreement come with a "self-destruct button" should Britons vote to leave the EU in a referendum, to avoid such contagion.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte argued for the importance of keeping Britain's free-market voice in the EU. "We need each other."

A British exit, he said, "would be bad news for the EU — but also for the UK. It would end up as a mid-sized economy somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean."
___

Angela Charlton and Lorne Cook in Brussels contributed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-19

I just don't get it. If Cameron, and the rest of the PC brigade are too scared to lead the country, they must resign immediately and let someone with more intestinal fortitude take over. It truly is mind boggling that so called politicians are too scared to do their jobs and instead just wish for the unelected bureaucracy to swallow up our sovereign nation. Continually trying to surrender our country to the Euro behemoth is pure treason. I note the Windsors are now also frightened and want the UK to be swallowed up by commies. Our ancestors are turning in their graves.

jaidam, on 19 Feb 2016 - 11:34, said:

I just don't get it. If Cameron, and the rest of the PC brigade are too scared to lead the country, they must resign immediately and let someone with more intestinal fortitude take over. It truly is mind boggling that so called politicians are too scared to do their jobs and instead just wish for the unelected bureaucracy to swallow up our sovereign nation. Continually trying to surrender our country to the Euro behemoth is pure treason. I note the Windsors are now also frightened and want the UK to be swallowed up by commies. Our ancestors are turning in their graves.

There is NO UK Politician capable of leading. That is why they hire advisors, special advisors and policy makers at a cost to the taxpayer of £ Millions per annum.

Cameron himself is not fit to lead a trip to the pub. Going home and leaving your child behind in the pub says it all.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18391663

Whatever deal Cameron comes home with will be spun into a great one by Conservative Central Office and the Tory press!

Britain won't be leaving the EU anytime soon, it would be disastrous for trade, and as the large corporations rule the country, through their puppets Cameron and Osbourne, their profits will be uppermost in decision making!

He knows there's no way the rest of the EU countries or the bureaucrats are ever going to bend to his wishes but he thinks he can fool the British public into thinking he's doing his best to get a good deal for Britain. Unfortunately he does fool a large proportion of the public as they're incapable of critical thought.

Once the referendum is sorted out I still think British people who moan about the EU all the time will still vote to stay in as they will reason "It's easier to go to Europe on holiday" etc.

The British have become spineless drones who will only talk about reality shows or soap operas. They really have become a shower of you know what.

I don't know what will happen in a referendum,all I know is once upon a time Britain was great, now ,its been watered down by millions of immigrants who don't care a jot about the country they live in and now ,we now follow instead of lead, we have no one who can do it any more

To all those who are reading this, and who want Britain to leave the EU, be carefull what you wish for.

The pound is already weakening because Britain might actually leave the EU. If Britain does actually leave, the pound might fall to about 40 baht per pound.
Surely, this is NOT what people want ?

To all those who are reading this, and who want Britain to leave the EU, be carefull what you wish for.

The pound is already weakening because Britain might actually leave the EU. If Britain does actually leave, the pound might fall to about 40 baht per pound.

99% of the british public don't worry about the £/thb exchange rate, and that figure would not drop much for any countries exchange rate, but they do worry about housing, schools, hospitals, jobs, crime, european immigration and the european court of human rights poking it nose in all the time with silly rulings.

I think the EU is a big concern to uk citizens, and staying in will not be a cake walk for our leader

99% of the british public don't worry about the £/thb exchange rate, and that figure would not drop much for any countries exchange rate, but they do worry about housing, schools, hospitals, jobs, crime, european immigration and the european court of human rights poking it nose in all the time with silly rulings.

I think the EU is a big concern to uk citizens, and staying in will not be a cake walk for our leader

The ECHR is my biggest worry - I fear that we will lose its protection and allow the nasty party to continue to undermine our freedoms and liberties. Anyone who thinks that the Tories will protect us should look at their snooper's charter, their constant attack on workers' rights, the collosal barriers they have put in place to access courts etc. The ECHR may not be perfect (although it is not to blame for many of the things that the Torygraph and the Mail claim it is), but I feel much happier knowing that it is preventing the Tories from further perverting our justice system to better serve their friends and donors.

99% of the red top reading underclass may be. They just don't get it.

90% of FTSE companies want remain in. Any idea why?

Read the FT or The Economist and find out

BTW we have the crappest pensions in Europe by opting out of the social chapter.

Right now, to hedge my bets, I plan to get residency in a Northerm European country. If UK wants to drift off over the Atlantic, I'm staying!

Cameron asked for very little and will get a tiny fraction of that. The EU has expanded far

to quickly to absorb the former Eastern Block countries who did not have the level

of living the original 9 had. Everyone is tribal and will vote there own self interest

first, there countries second, the country of Europe 3rd, and other countries in the

EU do not even register except for how it will effect them. Germany and France led

the charge doing back flips giving hundred of billions to Greece to keep them in the EU

and to save the Euro but window dressing to the UK. (even leaked memos outline

how a few crumbs will be conceded and then how they will be taken back). Europe is

contracting the rest of the worlds economies still growing. Why hitch your wagon to

them. There will still be trading. Continental Europe will want to trade with the UK and

vise a versa. Any tariffs would have reciprocity. Any trade deals have a template to

work from. Of course there would be short term volatility with currency but it would

quickly stabilize. Personally I see out as the logical choice that will open many doors

for trade, allow the UK to control both its boarders and the democratic will of the people.

Not unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. coffee1.gif

Britain proposed that child benefit be capped at the level appropriate to the standard of living in the member state where the child resides. But it is unclear how the measure would apply to EU nationals already working abroad and sending benefits to their home country.

Simple.

You get nothing.

NOBODY should be receiving benefits and sending them to their home Country.

Grouse, on 19 Feb 2016 - 19:29, said:
steve187, on 19 Feb 2016 - 18:28, said:
tonbridgebrit, on 19 Feb 2016 - 16:48, said:

99% of the red top reading underclass may be. They just don't get it.

90% of FTSE companies want remain in. Any idea why?

Read the FT or The Economist and find out

BTW we have the crappest pensions in Europe by opting out of the social chapter.

Right now, to hedge my bets, I plan to get residency in a Northerm European country. If UK wants to drift off over the Atlantic, I'm staying!

Fill your boots and get residency, be quick about it.

Governments act on behalf of the Citizens, not business.

A lesson that is going to be found out the hard way.

Leaving the EU will not make one jot of difference to the number of Eastern Europeans in the UK. The vast majority come to work, not to claim benefits - they earn 4-5x as in their home countries. They also come because British businesses want them. Anybody who has interacted with the hospitality industry in the UK will know that vast swathes of it are now run by Eastern Europeans. Not forgetting agricultural work, which is now almost exclusively done by immigrants. When I was on holiday in Karpaz, Poland, I saw newspaper adverts (in English) placed by UK employment agencies trying to recruit Poles. The new 'Living Wage' will make the UK even more attractive and suck in millions more. Cameron will not put a stop to it because his mates in business want it to happen. Moreover, many conservative backers are heavily invested in property in the UK and an ever-increasing population is driving up rents and property prices - generating huge profits for these individuals. Tinkering with benefits is only for the benefit of the Sun and Mail readers.

Also, do not confuse the EU with the EEA (European Economic Area) and the European Court of Human Rights - EHCR. The EU is not connected to the ECHR (Britain was a founder member - long before the EU existed). The debate is abotu membership of the EU, The ECHR is a seperate issue,. I also understand that there is no question of leaving the EEA - so UK companies would still have to comply with EEA regulations, tariffs, and meet their audit requirements etc.

For the average British person, stay or leave will make little difference - although I would predict a sharp fall in Sterling (banks are already putting in contingency against a fall to a £1=$1.20 exchange rate) and probably less inward investment by multinationals.

Whatever deal Cameron comes home with will be spun into a great one by Conservative Central Office and the Tory press!

Britain won't be leaving the EU anytime soon, it would be disastrous for trade, and as the large corporations rule the country, through their puppets Cameron and Osbourne, their profits will be uppermost in decision making!

Not only does The UK not have the gonads to leave the EU The thinking there is that if they do there is no insurances that Scotland will not leave The UK and England could not afford that economy wise.

Ahhh, the joys of a progressively socialistic, one EU government. Unfettered immigration diluting the most productive countries, so that the entire block of EU countries are uniformly mediocre.

That experiment didn't work in the CCCP or Maoist China. Won't work for the EU either. But power-junkie leadership just love that control. But can't say that the peasants haven't put their collective feet down before and brought out the pitchforks and guillotines.

Edited by Scott
OP edited out