No Alcohol sales in Phuket Monday for Buddhist holiday

webfact

No Alcohol sales in Phuket Monday for Buddhist holiday
The Phuket News

1455850050_1-org.jpg
All government offices will be closed this Monday (Feb 22) as Thais all across the country celebrate Makha Bucha day.

PHUKET: -- All government offices will be closed this Monday (Feb 22) as Thais all across the country celebrate Makha Bucha day. Bars and restaurants across the island will be forced to refrain from selling alcohol on this Buddhist holy day.

Makha Bucha Day is a Buddhist holiday, which takes place annually on the night of the full moon during the third lunar month of the year and this year it falls on Monday, February 22.

Makha Bucha Day marks the anniversary of the Buddha’s first major sermon. On the full moon of the third lunar month, seven months after the lord Buddha began his teachings when 1,250 monks came together, with no prior arrangement to hear Buddha preach, Buddha ordained these monks and passed to them the basic principles of Buddhism: To eschew all evil, to do only what is good, and to cleanse the mind, along with other teachings which marked a key event in the development of the religion.

It is a three days weekend for many across the country and in Phuket, most government offices will be shut down. The Phuket Immigration Office, the Land Transport Department and the Employment Office, all in Phuket Town, will be closed

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-alcohol-sales-in-phuket-monday-for-buddhist-holiday-56282.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-19

Upcoming alcohol ban for Makha Bucha Day
Phuket Gazette

mkk.jpeg
Makha Bucha Day sees many Buddhists in Thailand making merit and following the five Buddhist precepts for laymen. Photo: Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: A nationwide ban on the sale and purchase of alcohol will be in place for 24 hours on Monday out of respect for Makha Bucha Day.

“Letters will be sent to night entertainment business operators to inform them of the ban,” Peerayuth Karajedee, Phuket Provincial Police deputy commander, told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

“According to trading laws, entertainment venues cannot sell alcohol after 1am Monday, which means that the ban will run through until Tuesday morning.”

Anyone caught breaking the ban faces a prison sentence of up to six months, a 10,000-baht fine or both.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Upcoming-alcohol-ban-Makha-Bucha-Day/63191?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-19

I find it funny that even a newspaper only reminds about alcohol.

Always worth to mention that it is a public holiday and all gov. offices (incl. immigration) will be closed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You clearly can't "celebrate" as the celebration liquid is prohibited from sale.

Not necessarily, as everywhere it is clearly stated, that the SALE of alcohol is forbidden, not the CONSUMPTION.

Thank you, at last a sensible post. And I have no doubt your local mom & pop shop will be very happy to sell booze ...

You clearly can't "celebrate" as the celebration liquid is prohibited from sale.

Not necessarily, as everywhere it is clearly stated, that the SALE of alcohol is forbidden, not the CONSUMPTION.

Thank you, at last a sensible post. And I have no doubt your local mom & pop shop will be very happy to sell booze ...

...true, everybody sells booze or beer here all the time, and my Thai neighbours give a hoot about Buddhist holidays, they just drink in front of their houses whenever they like. I though will abstain from alcohol on the 22. as I don't drink alcohol Mondays and Tuesdays.

I'm just wondering, what do you Brit's do if all the bars are closed for one day ?

Do you fly to Vietnam or Malaysia for the day, and fly back, next the day ?

Speaking as a non Buddhist Brit. I personally respect the fact that Buddhist Thailand chooses to enforce this.

I like a glass or two of beer, and if I want one I grab one from my fridge at home.

So the answer to your disrespectful question is....no I personally do not.

so where are you from ? Eutopia?

The main tourists areas around Thailand should be exempt from these laws.

They should be classed as Special Economic Zones for this purpose. Late closing should also be allowed, to stop the corruption surrounding the 2am closing time.

Put a couple of Buddha Days close together and vacancy rates go up. Many tourists will not have a 10 day holiday here if 2 or more days are without nightlife in their holiday.