Rules of the Thai deli counter (are there any?)

Jingthing

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy vacuum packed @ exactly 100gms. tastes the same and lasts longer. The stuff on the deli counter is not fresh and there is a greater risk of contamination from employees with undesirable personal habits or hygiene.

I like the deli counter product and the price is better as well.

Again, this is more a general question.

Is there a cultural thing here that you're just supposed to accept an over order at a Thai deli counter? They don't know to ask if it's OK before wrapping?

I'm really wondering.

Because even the first time I did rejected an over order and asked them fix it on the salmon I got the most piercing looks of hostility.

Edited by Jingthing

NO LOX FOR YOU !!

Or you could try making your own:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-own-lox/

Lox is not "smoked salmon" but rather cured un-smoked salmon.

Delicious !

Well that's a little nonsensical.

note: un-smoked salmon is actually called Salmon (it isn't swimming around smoked)

Smoked Salmon is cured Salmon by smoking it (to smoke fish or meat is to cure it - albeit it didn't know it was unwell)

Lox is cured Salmon by curing it with a salt rub or brine similar to gravlax

Went to Mcdonalds the other day ordered a burger and i could see through to the overweight worker preparing a burger and the sauce got on her hand so she licked it off her fingers and turned around just when she was placing the bun on the top and saw me looking.

Instantly she put on some gloves and wrapped it.

Luckily it went on the tray next to me .

If it was KFC i would understand as that is "finger lickin good".

Just now I was at the brand new Makro going towards Korat from Chok Chai. My Thai wife of 43 years bought a couple meat items that needed to be weighed to get the price sticker on it. She had the items push right next to the scale. A guy comes out from the back and was reaching for one of the items. A Thai man came up behind us and about knocked my wife down to hand his 15 items to the person to weight and she took his and did his first. I know enough Thai to ask when he became first when you see that we were already there. All I got was a half ass, hell with you smile. I wanted to walk away and just not buy the meat. The wife was OK with it.

This was not the first time in Thailand this has happened. In the Bank, in a photo shop where I was by myself and even though I was at the counter first, she took to Thais who just happened to walk in. I went off on her and had the whole family come out from the back. I needed the pictures but have not been back since.

TIT.

Try seing what you get when you ask an australian butcher for 450 gm of meat. He will give you 700. After an aprenticship and years in the trade I guarantee that he could judge to 10 gm..

It is just a silent form of up-selling . They know what is best for you .

Smoked Samon comes pre-sliced(usually)

How do you expect to receive an exact weight ? Do you expect the Deli staff to hack bits from a slice to make it meet your demand ? What happens to the wast you have caused ?

The slice should be weighed, priced and then trimmed to your requirement but charged at the same price as the untrimmed slice !

Scraps could probably not be sold and certainly not at the price asked for whole slices.

You obviously didn't read the OP.

It comes in slices.

They aren't large slices.

Of course I don't expect them to cut up existing slices. DUH!

I expect them to weigh the order as they're making it and the first slice that hits the number, a little under or over ... then WRAP IT UP.

When they present the wrapped over order they have ALWAYS been able to adjust it down by removing some slices.

So your post is meaningless in this case.

You're acting like I'm the unreasonable one.

That's total BS.

They give me over orders that weren't needing to be over orders, and then when I ask them to fix it, it gets nasty.

You refused the order because the fish came in contact with the butcher`s hand. What do you think happens in the back rooms the places we don`t see and where the food is prepared?

I doubt there are any stringent food hygiene regulations in Thailand. If there are, do you think the delis and restaurants abide by them? Oh look it touched my hand, better throw the whole lot in the bin, can`t serve our customers that.

If you think they are ripping you off with attitude, then what do you consider is the logical thing to do?

NO LOX FOR YOU !!

Or you could try making your own:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-own-lox/

Lox is not "smoked salmon" but rather cured un-smoked salmon.

Delicious !

Lox is the Jewish term for smoked salmon,it's the same thing!

Gravlox is cured unsmoked salmon. Btw Dean and Deluca had really good Gravlox but that was in SoHo. Curious if the Dean and Deluca in Bangkok carries it

You are mistaken !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lox

BoLOX!

I shop weekly at foodland for my deli products, the girls are always polite and friendly. They always ask me if over or under weight, some products they even slice it once or twice and ask what thickness would I like. They even short the bacon slices for me so I don't get the fatty slices.

How are your Thai language skills?

huh ? take your whiny ass back where it came from or learn the Thai language and brush up on your English . I do not know you but I want to strangle you till your eyes pop out ................

Have you thought about asking for 50 grams?

If your thai is good enough and you order light-hearted enough, they should make an effort to comply - - I try and be very specific, and they even sometimes will double check, using fingers or a slight cut to mark the amount... I am sure they do not want a problem but basic assumption here is probably to give more than wanted is better than less...

This is the most tragic story I've ever read on TV about someone suffering in Thailand. Surely there must be someone who can help this guy. So sad.

I reckon this could be one for Neverdie to tackle once he sorts his obese friend that is unable to clean his bottom.

If things are in pieces, Thais generally order by the piece. Seven tomatoes, nine apples, three pork chops, five slices of smoked salmon.

Imagine walking into a NY pizza shop and ordering 100g of pizza - get the picture? whistling.gif