Krabi or Koh Samui?

Krabi is fairly cheap and very nice, not much nightlife really.

Samui is full of nightlife but it is not cheap anymore unless you go hunting around looking for cheap !!

Plus maybe worth checking up road accident death rates on samui if you are thinking of renting a bike !!blink.png

There's a pretty big difference between the two. Samui is a very large island with many different beaches. Each with it's own vibe. Want to party or want to chill, there's a beach for you there. It's a pretty crowded island.

Krabi is a province and a city. In Krabi province are some beaches like Railey and Ao Nang (also a city). Ao Nang is OK, but not a great beach, and has some nightlife. Railey has 2 sides to it. One is OK, but can disappear at high tide, the other side is basically a mangrove swamp and inhabited by lots of young backpackers. It's a pretty small area you get to via boat.

Krabi province has some nice islands nearby. And others not too far away. Phi Phi being one, Lanta, Kradan are others.

What type of nightlife are you looking for? If you want to hang with backpackers, Phi Phi is probably the place. Chewang is very lively with lots to do and seems to be attracting a younger crowd with some big party places right on the beach. Phi Phi might be a bit cheaper, but you can still find cheap places on Samui. A bit away from the beach though....

I think Krabi over Samui - Samui is a commercial holiday island.

Krabi has a bit of everything, the rock formations, local culture, good day trips, plenty of scope for travel, the mainland ( Ao nang, the city, Rai Leh ) and then island life - Ko lanta, the first two beaches are picture postcard.

Ao nang or phi phi if travelling to Krabi area. But Samui and Koh Tao are for the party animals ..

... and enjoy Krabi while it lasts.

For anyone planning on settling in Krabi, I wouldn't invest one single Satang on property there, until the PM's stupid idea of building a coal fired power station has been hit on the head and buried. Currently foreign consortiums are submitting tenders to build it.

You can find updates on the situation via groups on Facebook. Type in your search "No coal for Krabi"

This is serious for everyone in Thailand, and Krabi's future. They will need to cut through the coral to transport the coal in. With ships coming and going, Krabi as a beautiful resort is under serious threat, and will be a very unhealthy place to live.

Edited by TechnikaIII

Late March weather should be good both places, with lots of sun and (almost) no downpour.

I live at Samui, so will mainly know that area. To my knowledge the cheaper place will in general be Krabi, however you can find cheap accomodation at Samui and in Chaweng, as suggested in an earlier post, and affordable and good local restaurants, but in general Samui is considered up-priced, compared to other Thai destinations. Also transport to the island is more costly than to Krabi.

For nightlife there is no doubt in my mind, that's Chaweng on Samui – however if you are looking for "traditional" beer & lady bars, then Samui may disappoint you, as that number of events are decreasing; but I shall say that I don't know the bar-scene in Krabi, so cannot compare – Lamai is a bit more like what you normally expect with mainly beer bars. The Chaweng night life is concentrated about a younger – or young-in-mind – audience (OP did not stage an age) with beach parties, live music events and a number of tech-dance discos, a couple of them with two or three stages, each playing separate style, plenty of locals (ladies) attend the nightlife; and of course the Full Moon Party at neighboring Haad Rin on March 21st (you can there commute by speed boat from Samui).

Cheapest place: Krabi

Best nightlife: Samui (Chaweng)

Good weather: Both

biggrin.png

Samui is infinitely the better bet for you, with good weather, nightlife and the chance to see some proper unspoilt jungle when needing a change from drinking or clubbing in Chaweng or Lamai.

Beaches are good! Remember Krabi itself is on a river, not the sea, though there are beaches not that far away!