Phuket orangutan ‘disappears’ ahead of police raid

snoop1130

Phuket orangutan ‘disappears’ ahead of police raid
Chutharat Plerin

post-249866-0-61572100-1455887336_thumb.

PHUKET: -- A 13-year-old orangutan that conservationists were fighting to free from Phuket Zoo has gone missing, confirmed Wildlife Friends of Thailand (WFFT).

“Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Division (NRECD) of the Royal Thai Police and Department of National Parks (DNP) agreed to investigate the case of Milo, agreeing to raid the zoo this morning,” Edwin Weik, the founder and director of WFFT, told the Phuket Gazette. “DNP regional wildlife office found that Milo was probably illegally being kept at the Phuket Zoo, as there was no orangutan legally registered at the location.”

Police officers arrived at the zoo this morning only to find that Milo was gone, said Mr Weik.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-orangutan-disappears-ahead-police-raid/63202?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-19

It was good of the police to broadcast what day and time they would be visiting the zoo, but it seems like the Orangutan had already made plans. It would be good if the authorities would also give expats notice of when they would be visiting you at home to see if you comply with immigration. I am normally out most of the time so they would have little chance of finding me at home.... I am fortunate that I do t need to work and spend my time traveling or doing sports.

It was good of the police to broadcast what day and time they would be visiting the zoo, but it seems like the Orangutan had already made plans. It would be good if the authorities would also give expats notice of when they would be visiting you at home to see if you comply with immigration. I am normally out most of the time so they would have little chance of finding me at home.... I am fortunate that I do t need to work and spend my time traveling or doing sports.

Where did you obtain this information.

What makes you believe the Police "broadcast" the day/time they intended to visit the zoo ?

What makes you believe the Police "broadcast" the day/time they intended to visit the zoo ?

Probably from this article from the day before: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896131-save-milo-online-petition-for-orangutan-at-phuket-zoo-sparks-probe/

Probably from this article from the day before: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896131-save-milo-online-petition-for-orangutan-at-phuket-zoo-sparks-probe/

I see no evidence of a "broadcast" intent by police to visit the zoo in that report or the links associated with it.

I see no evidence of a "broadcast" intent by police to visit the zoo in that report or the links associated with it.

I guess you read things differently than I. When there is news story about a probe the day before a visit by investigators was made, as seems to be the case a lot of times in the news around Phuket, I think they knew about the investigation and got rid of the orangutang before the "probe" began... After 11 years in Phuket, I've seen it happen too many times. But you can interpret the local news however you like....

Very very stupid zoo keeper. Also, it looks like he deliberately and knowingly broke the law and yet he will most likely never be changed with anything ... just like last time this happened in Phuket.

Edited by HerbalEd

Very very stupid zoo keeper. Also, it looks like he deliberately and knowingly broke the law and yet he will most likely never be changed with anything ... just like last time this happened in Phuket.

I agree with you, all we ever hear is the huff and puff of people in uniforms adorned with bars and medals threatening to uphold the law but it rarely ever comes to fruition especially in Phuket.

hope to the early warning system extends to bar raids too.