Spousal visa and qualifying bank account

I'm moving from Mexico to Khon Kaen in a few weeks - after I get a 'normal' 90 day NonO from the consulate here. We'll be in Bangkok for a week or two before going to KK. My wife wants me to start getting everything in order as soon as we arrive which includes opening a bank account in my name only.Question: which banks allow that - she tells me Bangkok Bank doesn;t. And if I open an account in a Bangkok branch of some bank when I need to get a letter from them verifying funds on deposit to immigration can I do so in any branch of that bank or do I have to go back to the branch where the account was opened?

Thanks

Best to open an acct. near the Immigration office serving your area. Then it is easy to travel back there if Immigration doesn't like your bank letter etc. Once you have the acct. open, there is very little need for you to go to your home branch. Routine business can be done at any branch.

• Like 1

You need to open a bank account in Khon Kaen other wise you will be facing a fee every time you use ATM in another provence.

Also the immigration letter may well have to be obtained from the branch you opened the account.

Try SCB or Kasikorn branches in BigC they are used to dealing with foreigners.

Edited by Eclipse

Yep,

Now most of the banks will ask you a work permit / 1 year visa + certificate in order to open a bank account, but sometimes eventually you get lucky and they just don't.

I opened a Kasikorn one a few years ago in a tesco lotus on tourist visa but time changes and now they just check more often, but what ubonjoe said is interesting, didn't know you could use a Thai as "reference".

Yep,

Now most of the banks will ask you a work permit / 1 year visa + certificate in order to open a bank account, but sometimes eventually you get lucky and they just don't.

I opened a Kasikorn one a few years ago in a tesco lotus on tourist visa but time changes and now they just check more often, but what ubonjoe said is interesting, didn't know you could use a Thai as "reference".

From this page on Bangkok Bank website. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

• "Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive"

I would call it official since it appears on their website.

Oh nervermind, i just saw it :

All you will need to provide
is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, a reference letter from your embassy,
your home bank or a person acceptable
to the bank.

I like the "acceptable" term, pretty wild :D

Oh nervermind, i just saw it :

All you will need to provide
is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, a reference letter from your embassy,
your home bank or a person acceptable
to the bank.

I like the "acceptable" term, pretty wild biggrin.png

I removed your unneeded post with the images. Acceptable is defined in the post where I quoted what is on the website.

I posted the link to the banks website so that people could be aware of the options.

Don't know if it makes a difference but I was 56 when I opened a Term Deposit @ Bangkok bank. The following year I changed to KrungThai. Term deposits are accepted at Jomtien (Pattaya) but check with your local immigration office first as I have heard previously some wont accept Term Deposits.

Why to bother with the immigration.

If you have a 1 year visa, better register at your embassy ;

Can't tell for every embassy but for mine you can walk in anytime, register and get out with the certificate within 1hour + congratulation you will officially be registered as living in Thailand (unless than for some dark reasons you don't want them to know that ..)

Yep, but being able to open an account by using a Thai as reference is really cool (never heard of that before) ;

Is that something like official or it's more like a gesture of good will, at the bank's discretion ?

Different branches can and do make up their own rules. There is a thread already specifically for opening bank: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/260738-opening-a-new-bank-account-in-thailand/page-32#entry10187812

the last 3-5 pages will likely be most relevant, although you can read the whole thing if you want to kilk time. Persistence is the key, Do not panic/overthink it.

Remember also you can use an affidavit of 40k THB monthly income notarized by your embassy as financial proof for marriage extension. The notary cost varies but is usually $50 USD. I think uk embassy is like $80 USD. Just for 1 signature.

The bank account is still a good idea anyway. Let us know how it works out.

Woupsi i misread again about the letter for the immigration ;)

Anyway the advise is still good, to open a bank account by your name if you don't proceed as per Ubonjoe's advice, it's easiest to register at your embassy and get the certificate there instead of having to go to the immigration.

+ If you want to start things 100% clear you should register there, you'll be registered as expat living in TH, can have your passport with your TH address, obtain certificate easily and if you need to do some paperwork for Mexico (like a few months ago i had to do a power of attorney for my country), it's easier and cheaper if you are registered.

" you'll be registered as expat living in TH, can have your passport with your TH address"

Which countries passports include an address with the more usual bio data included on the "picture page" and in the chip of "biometric" passports ?

my and my wife's passport, issued by the German Embassy Bangkok, contains a chip with all information stated on the first two pages plus prints of both index fingers.

in 2018 retina identification will be added. stated address city/town only, street and house number is not included but available on ID card on demand.

• Like 1

End of last year I opened an account at the Khon Kaen branch of Bangkok Bank. Opened on a tourist visa waiver only (in fact they only looked at the passport number and photo - didn't check visa). It was the branch on the main street in KK (next to a big hotel - Charoen or something?). The bank official spoke excellent English and was very efficient - I was in and out in 20 minutes - new ATM card in hand..

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE -We arrived 3 March and on the 4th tried to open an account at the Thai Farmer's Bank [Kasikorn Bank] branch at Siam Paragon. We chose this branch based on research my wife had done on various "Thai wife" forums. We had my Passport, her ID card and copies of our Marriage certificate and her house book. The copies didn't fly - they wanted originals. Called back to Issan and mother to have the house book sent down in a van overnight. It arrived in Bangkok at 4am this morning. Back to the bank and in 30 minutes had a bank book and ATM card. Customer service person said the letter for immigration could be printed out at any branch.