Should Thailand have tighter gun control laws?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe Thailand needs tighter gun control laws?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Silly statement to start with,

matches start fire = ban matches

Riiiight. People get electrocuted, so we should shut down the generators. People get killed on scooters, ban two-wheeled vehicles.

Handguns are designed for one purpose only - to kill people. They are not designed for hunting or any other activity.

Where do you park your brain when you start typing?

I can only assume that my 'Lawn Darts' were originally designed 'to kill people' although we use them strictly for sport, although I could use them as weapons in the event of a home invasion if push came to shove.

The same logic applies to our firearms.

Edited by connda

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riiiight. People get electrocuted, so we should shut down the generators. People get killed on scooters, ban two-wheeled vehicles.

Handguns are designed for one purpose only - to kill people. They are not designed for hunting or any other activity.

Where do you park your brain when you start typing?

I can only assume that my 'Lawn Darts' were originally designed 'to kill people' although we use them strictly for sport, although I could use them as weapons in the event of a home invasion if push came to shove.

The same logic applies to our firearms.

I think your logic is back-to-front. Lawn darts were derived or 'dumbed down' from spears or arrows which were/could be used to kill people. On the other hand would you say personal firearms were derived from duelling pistols/flintlock rifles or paint-guns/ water pistols? Do you honestly believe that if you were to enter a busy shopping mall with 6 lawn darts you would be able inflict the same injuries in the same amount of time as with a handgun?

False premise, today's safety matches can't start a fire unless activated by someone, same as firearms - can't be discharged unless deliberately activated.

Generally those most guilty of breaking the law are career criminals, so tightening the laws is useless. We have a great example of tight gun laws in the UK where legitimate ownership is all bu impossible yet certain sectors of the population still do as they please with little threat of arrest and prosecution.

I am not sure if Thailand needs tighter gun control laws or not, but there is no doubt that Thailand is a dangerous country and for a lot of people a gun is necessary for their protection. Most people live in a Moo Bahn that is well guarded. Why are so many guards needed? Why such high walls? Why such tight security? Why so many CCTV cameras?

The few people whom I know that live outside a Moo Bahn or apartment with security all have guns and most have had to use them to ward off home invasions.

There is also the southern insurgency and I don't know that I would want to live in some of the affected areas and not have the ability to own a weapon for self defense.

The other situation is the absurd political situation which erupts far too frequently. Most people might not have needed to be armed in the past but who knows what the future holds?

Finally, do you trust the military? Do you trust the police to protect you in Thailand?

The Uk has some very serious gun laws that prohibit ownership of most guns and yet it doesn't stop people from being shot. It just means that only the bad guys and some of the police now have guns. Banning them doesn't work.

But the UK is considerably less than the USA and Thailand so it does do some good.

In my home country i never was an activist.

In Thailand, I am a digital activist!!!

I will hope they see this thread and we make a difference!!!!

Now we can sleep better.....we are the pioneers for change!!!!

Now I will go post on changes to the constitution of USA......i am sure they will see that on twitter!!!!

Make New law's does not have so much affect.

But just allow people to have a gun at home, like the law is now. Simple registration for a gun should be banned yes.

Rules of registration:

• at least 3 years experience at a shooting range.
  • A brain-check done by a un-corrupted hospital, get official documents of it.
  • .22 for the first 3 years of licence holder.
  • 3 more years experience before up to 9mm and up.
  • licence fee 80.000,- per year.
  • Not allow to carry a gun with you, or in the car/bike.

So now the government must order Police and Army to trace guns without proper papers. For every Gun they find they get a 10,000,- Bonus for the one who find one.

in 1 year and some people are rich !! and Illegal guns are gone.

Finished.

Next...!

Does Thailand have any gun control?

The recent murder suicide in Chiang Mai rather answers the question. They lady went to the car to retrieve her gun. No gun trajedy averted. When emotions run high as in this case a double trajedy no less. Guns make even the most humble person feel powerful its like and extension of their double inner personality we all have one. I did not vote as both questions should be implemented. I did not like the comparison made between Thailand and the USA. Something is lacking. As the world gets more polarized gun violence will increase. Sex and Greed does come at a price. Sadly the murder above was neither.

Edited by elgordo38

I'm having to assume (perhaps wrongly) that most of the gun violence is between rival criminal factions rather than being the kind of "free for all" you see in the USA. I was very surprised to read this report on gun violence in Thailand.

Texas just passed a law giving students the right to "carry" in a classroom. I wonder if gun handling is part of the cirriculum. Opps have to run another mall shooting in Michigan is in the news. Its on TV

Does Thailand have any gun control?

The recent murder suicide in Chiang Mai rather answers the question. They lady went to the car to retrieve her gun. No gun trajedy averted. When emotions run high as in this case a double trajedy no less. Guns make even the most humble person feel powerful its like and extension of their double inner personality we all have one. I did not vote as both questions should be implemented. I did not like the comparison made between Thailand and the USA. Something is lacking. As the world gets more polarized gun violence will increase. Sex and Greed does come at a price. Sadly the murder above was neither.

If the good people can not have guns then only the bad people will have them.The Thai lady had a gun but lost the fight and the Italian loved her so much he took his own life. Just like Romeo and Juliet!

Yes it is about Thailand but you do need some sort of benchmark as a basis of comparison to establish how successful, or otherwise a policy or situation in Thailand may be.Certainly you can differentiate between countries if you have a basis for doing so but to exclude other countries is myopic and distorts discussion. From my experience with Thai Visa, calls to ignore other countries usually come from those who have an ax to grind, ie the broken hearted and the broke and wish to ignore reality.

As to not commenting on "useless surveys" I have to differ here. Badly constructed surveys cause more problems than properly acknowledged opinions and are worse than useless.How often do you read of a survey being quoted as proof of support for an opinion. The late Congressman Dewey would be disappointed to see that we haven't learned much about bad surveys after all these years. In this case less than 200 people have responded to the survey, this is hardly representative of anything except the respondents views and it is likely to include the "toys for boys" mob who feel strongly enough to respond to perceived threats to bear arms. Secondly the survey doesn't include both or neither as options. Including those options may have led to a more valid response.

I did have a chance to look at documents on Thai gun laws, and there are registration and licensing requirements. I am not sure if there are any laws covering storage and disposal of firearms. This, in my opinion is an issue with any firearm control legislation.

The topic isn't about mass shootings and it's not about the UK or the US. It's about Thailand. Comparisons are OK, but they need to made in the context of the current situation in Thailand, including enforcement of laws.

For those who think it's another 'useless' survey, please feel free not to comment. It's not mandatory. Really, you are not under any obligation.

Do you think the people that live in the Southern Border provinces should be deprived of the guns to protect themselves?