Alcohol ban on the 22th at the evening?

alexlm

Hello,

It appears to have a ban of alcohol sales the 22th of this month.

But will the clubs such as in Walking street, Pattaya, open again the 22th at the evening? Or at least at midnight?

Thank you,

Alex

Monday is Makha Bucha Day, a Buddhist holiday as noted in other forums:

No Alcohol sales in Phuket Monday for Buddhist holiday

Holiday Monday 22nd February

Makha Bucha Day

Thai police to get tough on crime during Makha Bucha

As you are inquiring about Pattaya, I am sure there will be restrictions there as well, moving to the Pattaya forum.

Midnight is the legal closing time isnt it ?

Not quite. It's not that bad in Pattaya yet tongue.png

Depending on license 2am or the whole night (e.g. "restaurant license", disco?).

But indeed many places will not care to open at all.

Sometimes quite erratic.

I must admit my personal closing time is midnight anyway, getting old.

So either hotel fridge stocked up or use their "minibar" service and enjoy a last drink on the balcony.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Midnight is the legal closing time isnt it ?

Not quite. It's not that bad in Pattaya yet tongue.png

Depending on license 2am or the whole night (e.g. "restaurant license", disco?).

But indeed many places will not care to open at all.

Sometimes quite erratic.

I must admit my personal closing time is midnight anyway, getting old.

So either hotel fridge stocked up or use their "minibar" service and enjoy a last drink on the balcony.

And all alone??...I feel for you.whistling.gif

Those who are dependent on Booze should ensure an adequate home supply.

Those dependent on a social atmosphere should seek out alternative venues where suitable company may be found.

Those dependent on booze should abstain.

Edited by BudRight

Those dependent on a social atmosphere should seek out alternative venues where suitable company may be found.

Such as where? A public bathroom?

You people with your drinking problems really ought to respect Thai culture and just stay in with your warm beer and cheap whiskey. I'm referring to those who sit out in front of Thai Sari Sari joints to save a few quid. The bars will be closed, not that anyone should actually care. Please stop pressuring the small business operators to serve you. Have some respect for as I say, Thai culture and the religious beliefs of the country.

You people with your drinking problems really ought to respect Thai culture and just stay in with your warm beer and cheap whiskey. I'm referring to those who sit out in front of Thai Sari Sari joints to save a few quid. The bars will be closed, not that anyone should actually care. Please stop pressuring the small business operators to serve you. Have some respect for as I say, Thai culture and the religious beliefs of the country.

I agree, Its incredible how so many people are dependent on Bars for their life. Sad indeed

What pressure ?

A quick phone call to the local mom and pop joint will have a box of beer delivered no matter the day.

My Initial question was:

Since the ban day is on the 22th.

Will the club in Walking street close the night from the 21th to the 22th. OR close the night from the 22th to the 23th?

At 11:30 pm the 21st, they will start closing and generally want booze off the table by midnight. Even the odd bar that could be depended on to continue serving behind closed doors have stopped doing this as the police/military make their rounds. No exceptions these days.

The next night some places may start serving around 11 pm the 22nd, but that's inviting trouble and so they may not even resume service until safely after midnight.

How the hell can be it Thai culture that I don't drink on a certain day?

When I do find those "small business operators" that you're defending the bar is always owned by the police - and customers are cops. Why don't you go preach to them about Thai culture?

Edited by BudRight

This has nothing to do with respecting Thai culture: Thai culture managed for eons without booze bans until a few years ago. This has everything to do with a desperate attempt by successive recent Thai governments to curtail their own people's drinking habits. Unfortunately the bans have the greatest impact on unsuspecting tourists, rather than the local Thais.