Are the good days in Pattaya gone for good?

flyingsaucersarereal

Only my opinion but I think it's the person who changes not the place. I remember the first time I visited and thought it was amazing as was the second and third time too but by trip 7 or 8 it kind of loses its edge and you see things differently.

It is true people do change but Pattaya has also changed and in my opinion not for the better. As one post say go back 30 years and Pattaya was a lot better. Nothing like the robberies and the like. They still had them but not in the quantity they have now.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good times in Pattaya ended for me when the 1980's were over.

Kinda makes impulse's point.

Yes, absolutely true. But people who are not aware of what the place was like prior to the end of the 1980s have no clue as to what you are saying. It is all about having a "reference point." The good news is that we experienced some great times in the past. I would extend the "good times" to about 2002. After that, it has been downhill in many ways (still, I like the new mall and Starbucks and some Western places to eat that we did not have in the past). It is sad that present and future generations will never know what the "good times" were really like. Those times are gone--forever.

To take that logic a bit further - the future generations would not appreciate what you called "good times" as they have a completely different outlook on life. It's not only the times that are a-changing - the people are a-changing too.

I agree with that view. They do not have the same reference point that, perhaps, we have. They do not know anything different from what they see today. They -- young generations -- actually think total crap is a 5-star gourmet dish. How else can you explain what is considered by them as good "music" these days. The fact that they are clueless about the past is what keeps the "Pattaya ship" above water, even though it should have gone under a long time ago. And so it goes....

I imagine older generations have always complained about future generations and visa versa, throughout world history.

You can just imagine a grandfather circa 430 AD reminiscing to his grandson about the amazing gladiator battles prior to their ban on January 1, 404 AD and complaining about how boring Rome is these days and how he misses the good old days. I wonder if they were also complaining about the younger generations' general behaviour and taste in music.

"The only thing that is constant is change", "everything changes and nothing stands still"... Heraclitus wrote about this around 2500 years ago and we're still at it. biggrin.png

I remember Pattaya in the '60's. There was only one road to the beach from the main highway. At the end of that road on stilts over the water was the Wagon Wheel, run by an old American expat named Bill, Wheeler I think. There were only a handful of bars then and a very few small hotels. Most of the bars were on stilts out over the water. The girls were about that high, black hair, dark complexion, and spoke Thai.

Pattaya is not what it was, traffic is not the only factor.

Keep in mind "entertainment " has changed from older girls who were here to support the family or get married to young spoiled brats who are here to have fun with little care about family or anything else.

The influx of new 2 week millioners did not help the progress .

So end result is spoiled locals who now turning agro and ugly because no customers , outrages prices on everything because they could get away with it in the past and lots of people in debt , with little light in the end of the tunnel.

Only time will show how it will all play out .

To people complaining about the traffic. Do you realize, that while a pain for the moment, it will be a big improvement for years to come. To people complaining about girl prices, that is inflation, bad luck. Good on them for getting more.

Thailand is the best city in the world, cheap public transport, great weather, cheap cold beer from the beach to the 2,500 beer bars to what are without a doubt the best gogos in the world, an array of fun nightclubs, great Thai pubs, Tomboy bars with girls who love girls, live music catering to all tastes, cheap tasty Thai food, cheap good quality food from an array of other countries, nice and compact where you can get pretty much anywhere in a car in about 15minutes outside of peak times, and if in a rush during peak times you can catch a cheap motorcycle, many world class golf courses near by. The party in pattaya goes 24/7/365

Go to the beach and the friendly locals will lay you out a chair, set up an umbrella, get you food and bring you icy beer, great shopping from an array of markets and more up market stuff also, cheap pool villas, beautiful pattaya bay, the long stretch of Jomtien Beach golden sands and the crystal clear waters of Koh Larn. Every single day the is someone having the best day of his life in Pattaya, whether he is a 20 year old, or a 80 year old, pattaya doesn't discriminate. Friendly happy people everywhere. I could go on.

No where on earth offers such a hedonistic lifestyle.

I would say God Bless Pattaya, but he already has.. I often wonder what I did to deserve him choosing me to live here. I often think I must have been Mother Thderesa in my last life. I am grateful for everyday in Paradise City.

The good days are not over, all days are good days in this great city.

Edited by Roomuck

To people complaining about the traffic. Do you realize, that while a pain for the moment, it will be a big improvement for years to come. To people complaining about girl prices, that is inflation, bad luck. Good on them for getting more.

Thailand is the best city in the world, cheap public transport, great weather, cheap cold beer from the beach to the 2,500 beer bars to what are without a doubt the best gogos in the world, an array of fun nightclubs, great Thai pubs, Tomboy bars with girls who love girls, live music catering to all tastes, cheap tasty Thai food, cheap good quality food from an array of other countries, nice and compact where you can get pretty much anywhere in a car in about 15minutes outside of peak times, and if in a rush during peak times you can catch a cheap motorcycle, many world class golf courses near by. The party in pattaya goes 24/7/365

Go to the beach and the friendly locals will lay you out a chair, set up an umbrella, get you food and bring you icy beer, great shopping from an array of markets and more up market stuff also, cheap pool villas, beautiful pattaya bay, the long stretch of Jomtien Beach golden sands and the crystal clear waters of Koh Larn. Every single day the is someone having the best day of his life in Pattaya, whether he is a 20 year old, or a 80 year old, pattaya doesn't discriminate. Friendly happy people everywhere. I could go on.

I would say God Bless Pattaya, but he already has.. I often wonder what I did to deserve him choosing me to live here. I often think I must have been Mother Thderesa in my last life. I am grateful for everyday in Paradise City.

Would you be one of those 2 week millioners?

After all Thailand for you is the best city

Just how far back do you want to go when you say: The good ole days.

In 1979 it was great.... it was amazing...it was like nothing I had ever seen before or ever see anywhere else.

And every time after that it was loads of fun while I ignored all the various "things" that could or would annoy a person if there was nothing else to notice...but I was having so much fun I was not looking for the good ole days rather noticing all the happy new days of fun to be enjoyed when and while I was there.

And last time I went there, after not going for nearly 17 years, I noticed I had a lot of fun again...just like..... the good ole days...lol

Cheers

No, there will always be good days, but the "best days" are gone. I am one of those old timers who saw it 30 years ago. Same for Sihanoukville. One day, McDonald's "golden arches" will interupt the view of Angkor Wat. But, if you are young, and it is your firdt time, you will love it. Come back in 2045, and you be nostalgic for what it all once was. Kinda' like Sweden 10 years ago...Allahu Ahkbar, if you get my drift...

Yeah, the west has lost the plot on that one.

Multiculturalism, my ar5e, let's all hugga muzzah self-destruction.

Been to Pattaya several times in the 1990's, didn't do all that much for me then.

I'd say the note of desperation in the advertisements of condos for sale in the Pattaya area is a reasonable indication of where the city is going.

I am not sure what a milloner is.

And Thailand is a country.

But I think I know what you are trying to say.

No, I live here. Was first in pattaya as a tourist in 1978.

I have told you what I regard as the worlds best city. And why I believe it is.

Now where do you live? And wherever you live do you regard it as the worlds best city? And if you don't, then why not?

If you can tell me a better place I will move there. I just don't know a better place. If there is it must be great and I can not wait to go.

To people complaining about the traffic. Do you realize, that while a pain for the moment, it will be a big improvement for years to come.

The traffic situation aint ever gunna get better.

No maybe not, but if you check Changmai/Hua Hin forums, they also complain about the traffic as many does all over the World.

Ahh another funny tread about our chosen adopted City; Pattaya, some really funny posts like in the Hooter's tread, man I was laughing big timeclap2.gifclap2.gifsmile.png

To people complaining about the traffic. Do you realize, that while a pain for the moment, it will be a big improvement for years to come.

The traffic situation aint ever gunna get better.

Hopefully when they finish the tunnels there will be an improvement to now. On my first trip to Pattaya, it was a six hour hell ride from don muang.

It can be bad at times, the peak morning and especially afternoons suck. But I don't work, so I can usually sleep through the morning peak. Gogos (mostly) don't open until 8pm so by that time it is usually ok. And at 3am there is never traffic problems. And you can always jump on a cheap motorcycle taxi if really needed, though I try to avoid doing that.

When I first came to Pattaya 25 years ago or so,it was much better,for a single guy I rogered anything female that had a pulse,I lived in a small room and partied like it was 1999.

years later I met my now wife. We lived in the UK,as it was much better there,now as a married family man living here its far better,I could never have lived here then as a family man

Snooky

stopped going there

it just seemed to get sleazier and sleazier as well as more dangerous

last time there had a taxi tell me my van to the bus had already left and wanted a ridiculous price to take me

I ignored him and he became close to violent

good thing the van showed up when it did (the one that had already left of course)

I have a friend who lived there and has moved to the capital for safety reasons

also seems to be a lot of infighting by ex pat business owners and their followers

a Cambodian lady who had a business of her own told me... think it bad now,,, just wait till low season,,, then the knives really come out

and they back stab each other at every opportunity

needs some serious cleaning up,,, until then

not for me

Now where do you live? And wherever you live do you regard it as the worlds best city? And if you don't, then why not?

If you can tell me a better place I will move there. I just don't know a better place. If there is it must be great and I can not wait to go.

Direct quote from your post "Thailand is the best city in the world"

You seriously asking me where i live? No wonder you think its just the best

Why would i want to spoil better places by telling you?coffee1.gif

First came to Pattya in th early 60s- Pristine with Thai people mostly- wonderful interaction with the local people- as the years have gone on- the over development has taken much of what was the best of the city. It is over run by Farngs of every nationality and Asians of every country. Way too many people and the Thais are tired of it all. Now the so called over growth has headed for Jomtien and soon Bangsaray will be gone. Greed has no boundaries. Eventually Pattaya will wither and die as tourists and expats head for a better and more pristine place. the fact is we killed it - and the Thais were the accomplices. I could name the other places in /Southeast Asia that are still pristine and full of fun-but I won't because once the development takes place-they are not longer pristine and the fun is gone.

If this is not a sendup please tell me where I can purchase a pair of the glasses you're wearing. :)

Direct quote from your post "Thailand is the best city in the world"

You seriously asking me where i live? No wonder you think its just the best

Why would i want to spoil better places by telling you?coffee1.gif

Hahaha, you got me. I am an idiot. I must remember when correcting other people to make sure I am right.

That should have read pattaya is the best city in the world which is in Thailand which is the best country in the world.

You win, I am a complete <deleted>.

I first came to Pattaya in 2000 for a day at the beach, while staing in Bangkok as a tourist. The water at the beach was almost black, it was dangerous to put my foot in it, let alone swim. My next visit was 8 years ago, so I didn't just get off the boat. I live in a nice condo in Jomtien and while the traffic is getting worse by the day, I love this city! Since I came to live, I have seen an explosion of restaurants, more street markets, Central Festival Mall, many new ethnic groups, including Indian,Chinese,Korean,Russian, among others. 20 years ago, they ONLY had Walking Street. Now thousands of families moved in and couples, both straight(me) and gay have made this place much more likeable and liveable. The weather here is as good as it gets; only Songran and a few weeks around the new year are breeze-less. Otherwise, there's almost always a breeze, unlike Bangkok, which is polluted, hot and humid and not my cup of tea - nice place to visit but that's it. I can't speak about the local beaches, since I and my GF spend our beach time at our Olympic size pool. If we want a real beach, we hop on a ferry to Koh Larn, 40 minutes away. A bus directly from Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi Airport stops 2 blocks away from my condo. Smack in the center of Pattaya are 3 bus stops for shuttle buses to Bangkok and either trip takes around 2 hours or less.

I'm getting sick of expats putting Pattaya down. Nothing is stopping you from getting out of Pattaya. Go and good riddance.

If this is not a sendup please tell me where I can purchase a pair of the glasses you're wearing. :)

It is not a send up. I will go to one of the many eyeglasses shops in their great city tomorrow. I obviously have problems proof reading. That should be Theresa, not Thdreasa.

The answer is budget related. On an unlimited budget there would be literally hundreds of answers to your question. I'd leave tonight and never look back.

Are there flights BKK-Sihanoukville ?

No, it's a 2-3 hour white knuckle taxi ride from Phnom pen half the time on the wrong side of the road.

Don't waste your money the place is dirty with rubbish all along the beaches and the girls are very dark and very short.

As mentioned jomtien is great alternative, literally a breath of fresh air, and only 15 mins to Pattaya/walking St if you need it that bad.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

First came to Pattya in th early 60s- Pristine with Thai people mostly- wonderful interaction with the local people

I don't like anywhere pristine, too boring. I frequently have wonderful interaction with the locals in Pattaya. I was really happy when Tucom opened so I wouldn't have to be going to Panthip any more. I like having CentralFestival nearby and am looking forward to the opening of the new Harbor Mall--convenient to Foodland. smile.png

I don't like the traffic and parking situation, of course. But I drive a motorbike so I get around OK.

- as the years have gone on- the over development has taken much of what was the best of the city. It is over run by Farngs of every nationality

You haven't been reading our previous DYING PATTAYA threads. All the farangs, who were the quality tourists and the True Big Spenders, have left. If you happen see some white faces around, they actually belong to members of a Chinese Caucasoid minority group.

The places I like to go to are still there and some new places have opened as well. Peppermint was better before it moved downstairs.

Eventually Pattaya will wither and die as tourists and expats head for a better and more pristine place.

Based on such predictions in the past going back decades, this really means is that Pattaya is going to continue getting bigger and even more economically successful.

Edited by JSixpack

Wow, pmugghc, ouch you must walk around Pattaya with your eyes closed... Its a much bigger dump. Everything you say about the rubbish in Snooky is 10 times worse here.

Like i said its got some catching up to do.

WILEYCOYOTE:- Sihanoukville is in the midst of building or has just finished an airport 10 minutes out of town. Once its up and operational with regular flights the skies the limit there.

Again if its the beaches and actually swimming in them that you like then Sihanoukville wins hands down.

If they ever build some golf courses then look out.

Sounds like you have some vested business interests there. The aiport is 20km out of town, forget about any 10 min transit. Have you even been there? The only regular flights are to Siem Reap, maybe PP.

Pattaya has vastly better and more wide-ranging offerings of hotels, shops, restaurants, attractions, entertainment. Pattaya is not very clean but Sihanoukville? Jeez.....

OOps my bad a whole 20kms..... No vested interest but I would invest there before here...

Please tell us something we don't know. No shit it has all the things you quote...

Does Sihanoukville have a bigger chance of becoming something Pattaya has failed miserably to become.. ABSOLUTELY..

Is it there yet.. If you cared to read my post IT HAS SOME CATCHING UP TO DO...

At least they are smart enough to put in place laws that restrict the height of buildings.. Something Pattaya and its government cronies should have done a long time ago.... Anyone in Pattaya will tell you it has been over developed 10 fold and will never ever recover now.. Did you catch the mayhem over the weekend with traffic etc... That will be Pattaya 24/7 365 within 5 years,,,, sadly.. I'll take Sihanoukville over that coming mess any day of the week...

Double JEEZ..

Sihanoukville is not Pattaya, but that's a good thing. The best part about S'ville may be the cost of the necessities in life--food, drinks, housing, local delicacies--are all cheaper. The infrastructure is not as developed, but it is more laid-back. I have been there several times, the last being last summer. Local beer is $1 in the tourist bars, 50-67% cheaper than that in local places. Imported meats, cheeses, wines and spirits are also cheaper than in Thailand. A 500g Aussie ribeye with potatoes, salad, baguette and a glass of Italian red wine cost $12.50, about B450. Bottles of South American and Australian table wines were $3-15, about B120-450. The bad things are all there too, but in different variations. Corruption, thievery, scams and swindles are rampant. I was riding toward the Lion when I was stopped by a policeman. He charged me with driving with my headlights on during the day--yeah, only VIPs can do that--not wearing a helmet, and not having a Cambodian driver's license. I gave him $1, about B36, and all was good again in the world.

The good times in Pattaya ended for me when the 1980's were over.

Kinda makes impulse's point.

actually, they ended in 1963 when the US military made it a rest and recreation centre. Before then,it was a very high class upmarket resort. Most of the visitors were embassy staff and expatriates working in Bangkok. The sea was crystal clear, no crime, and very friendly.