Denied US Tourist Visa: Report

These are my recent experiences trying to obtain a tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend to visit me in the US. I'd appreciate advice from anyone with similar experience who successfully obtained a tourist visa for a Thai, because we'd like to try again.

First, some background: my girlfriend will be 50 this year. I support her and her 3 year old grandson, who lives with her near Bangkok and for whom she is primary caregiver. He has a medical condition which can be conveniently treated at a hospital near where she lives (the grandson's mother lives upcountry, and is not really suited to care for him with his condition). She owns (or will own, when all the payments are finished) her own 1 bedroom apartment. No education past middle school. She's traveled with me throughout Southeast Asia in the past.

We've known each other for 10 years. She has long wanted to visit the US (I previously lived in Thailand, and I visit there often now), so after talking about it for years, I applied for a tourist visa for her so she could come visit for a modest three weeks. That's really all the time she could be away from her grandson.

Now, I know, as a US citizen and having read the material on the US Embassy website in detail, that documentary evidence, "guarantee of sponsorship," etc., is not very important for a Thai applying to visit the US: what's important is that the Thai person prove that they have a compelling reason to return to Thailand. Many Thais (including my girlfriend) believe otherwise, and have this whole mythology of false beliefs relating to applying for a visa to the US: "documents are everything," "all you really need is a sponsor," "once you're turned down, you can't reapply for a year," "after your interview, you'll wait days/weeks to be notified of the outcome," "you have to interview in English," etc. My girlfriend believed all of this garbage, and I couldn't convince her otherwise. In particular, she became fixated on bringing documents with her: scans of every page of both of our passports, present and past (even the blank pages!!), my bank account statements, both her childrens' birth certificates, photos of us, copies of our Skype and e-mail correspondence, etc., etc., ad nauseam. I humored her and provided her everything she asked for. She wasted a lot of (my!) money in printing and photocopy costs. She also insisted in paying for several of her documents in Thai to be translated into English (also completely unnecessary).

Of course, besides the useless documents, she also had the important ones, including her "tabian baan" which showed her grandson residing with her, her bank statement showing monthly support from me, etc. I also wrote a letter of invitation on the letterhead of the respected US university at which I teach (giving a link to my page on the university's website so they could verify that I'm the person in her photos), and provided a detailed itinerary of where we would travel in the US, and when.

I filled out the application (DS-160) form online, paid the fee by bank transfer, and made an appointment for her to interview, all from my laptop in the US. Her appointment was yesterday. She got to the embassy on time. I should note that she's very conservative-looking, and dresses conservatively (especially that day!); she also tied her hair back and made sure she was wearing her glasses so she looked the part of grandmother!

She signed the application form I had filled out, was fingerprinted, etc., and then sat down for the interview, with a farang who spoke, according to her, very good (and fast!) Thai. He NEVER. LOOKED AT. ONE. SINGLE. DOCUMENT. He barely even looked at HER; she said he was focused on his computer screen, where he had an online copy of the application I filled out open. She never got a chance to explain any of her circumstances (we thought that being caregiver to her grandson, especially given his condition, was a pretty compelling reason to return to Thailand).

The only notable thing she remembers him asking her (three times!) was, "who is ________"? (my name). Also, he barked at her accusingly several times, "so, you two are really married, right?" Oh, and he asked what other countries she had visited. After the less-than-10 minute interview, her visa request was denied, and she was sent on her way. She was given the standard rejection explanation letter in both Thai and English, basically stating that she was not eligible to visit the US on a tourist visa, that she had not demonstrated a compelling reason to return to Thailand.

So there you have it. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what we did "wrong," if anything....?

Edited by Saastrajaa
  • Like 1

Perhaps, if you read your post you can answer the question yourself ?

Remember you were not present at the interview and so only have a single sided view of the whole picture.

I don't really understand what you mean...I have no reason not to believe her report of how the interview went, if that's what you're implying. She said was never given a chance to explain her situation...this is not the first time I've heard this about visa interviews, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen to her.

• Like 1

Remember you were not present at the interview and so only have a single sided view of the whole picture.

I don't really understand what you mean...I have no reason not to believe her report of how the interview went, if that's what you're implying. She said was never given a chance to explain her situation...this is not the first time I've heard this about visa interviews, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen to her.

I was "implying" nothing,

I am sure your g/f speaks/understands perfect American English and can instantly and without error translate Thai to English.

I am also sure the lady relaid, verbatim, exactly what occurred during the interview.

Best you lodge a formal complaint with the US authorities.

I am sure your g/f speaks/understands perfect American English and can instantly and without error translate Thai to English.

I am also sure the lady relaid, verbatim, exactly what occurred during the interview.

Maybe YOU should read my post. The interview was entirely in Thai. And I speak with her only in Lao and Thai...we've never spoken English.

Edited by Saastrajaa
  • Like 1

Maybe YOU should read my post. The interview was entirely in Thai. And I speak with her only in Lao and Thai...we've never spoken English.

Ok

Best you lodge a complaint on your g/f's behalf or maybe she should make a written complaint in Laos/Thai

You are in the US and she is in Thailand. That is your problem. She is seen as a runner. Sorry.

Yep. She has no visible means of support other than the OP. Why would the consul thing there was anything else going on but an attempt to short circuit the immigration process. Harsh, but based on evidence submitted, no other judgment could be given.

TH

• Like 2

Perhaps, if you read yourarrow-10x10.png post you can answer the question yourself ?

Remember you were not present at the interview and so only have a singlearrow-10x10.png sided viewarrow-10x10.png of the whole picture.

I don't really understand what you mean...I have no reason not to believe her report of how the interview went, if that's what you're implying. She said was never given a chance to explain her situation...this is not the first time I've heard this about visaarrow-10x10.png interviews, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen to her.

I am sure your g/f speaks/understands perfect American English and can instantly and without errorarrow-10x10.png translate Thai to English.

you have NEVER spoken English with her?????? hi, bye, hello, thanks......never said from her to you or you to her????

Since I think this is wrong, I cannot believe anything else

• Like 1

My now wife had the same problem coming to Au when I first met her .

Au immigration in Bangkok rejected her first application believing she would not return to Thailand . I contacted a Visa agent in Au who specializes in Asian Visa applications .

She reckoned there should not be a problem and did a thorough application and sent some documentation to Thailand and required some details for her and sent it back to the embassy in a few weeks . All sweet and she had her tourist Visa .

My suggestion is you contact someone proficient in these types of applications in the USA because if you do it yourself again you may not submit everything the embassy requires .

The Visa people should be able to give you a good indication if your application will be successfull .

Good luck

• Like 2

She has no income or assets in Thailand. That's the reason. Also if and when they want to see paper work they want originals not copies. Including your passport etc. Sponsorship means nothing these days. They want people to have money in the back and a serious reason to return and often a history of previous travel and returns. Even when you get it all right they still say no because they can. They apparently make the descision long before the interview. As far as I can tell it's a big money making scheme. My Gf gets her interview first week in March and we fully expect her to be denied regardless of her business, kids, earnings etc etc. I have business in the States anyway so she comes or doesn't no biggie. Never let 'em see you sweat.

Edited by csabo
  • Like 2

You need to accompany her. She can get a Visa where you swear she will be with you at all times. Also she needs a RT plane ticket with return date.Bring your bank statements and your pension income. You are guaranteeing her housing and income. What is her itinerary in the U.S.? Are you taking her to Disneyland? to a state capital? to Washington?

• Like 1

she had not demonstrated a compelling reason to return to Thailand

Seems pretty cut and dried to me, especially if you were counting on the grand child as being an "anchor" baby, since I am sure the interviewer was aware that the whole family could pitch in and take care of the child

Where you made your mistake, IMHO, is all the emphasis was on YOU, and you were what the interview was all about, not her

Next time minimize your part in the process since if I were the interviewer the first thought I would have was that YOU were trying to get around the fiancee visa process via a Tourist Visa

I think this hits it perfectly. I'd ignore the childish trolling posts. The Consular Officer's questioning says it all. Many people do try to circumvent the fiancee visa process this way to save time since a fiancee visa can take 6-12 months. Even if she had all the assets I think it'd be difficult because of this. If I was the Consular Officer, I'd probably deny it too. I know it's not your intent to go to get married... it just looks that way, and would look even more that way had he/she seen all the documents.

• Like 1

You need to accompany her. She can get a Visa where you swear she will be with you at all times. Also she needs a RT plane ticket with return date.Bring your bank statements and your pension income. You are guaranteeing her housing and income. What is her itinerary in the U.S.? Are you taking her to Disneyland? to a state capital? to Washington?

The applicant does the interview alone. The "sponsor" or no one else can accompany her during the interview.

• Like 2

Way back when I was first married (Thai national) and fearing problems at the embassy, I

wrote my local congressman and asked him to write a letter of support to the embassy.

Given girl friend might not equal wife, but received a 10 year visa (was only asking for a year).

The interview process was a snap.

I'll never know if the letter of support from my congressman (I received a copy of it) helped,

but I'd like to think it did.

Good luck!

• Like 1

They have judged her to be a high risk applicant - likely to remain in the US. There is nothing subsequent that you can do that will change their mind unless you bring to the table something significant that was missed first time around. Though unless she has won the NJ lottery since the first application nothing is likely to change. She is on record now as having been refused and they usually stick with that decision regardless of who reviews the application.

• Like 1

These decisions are made at the discretion of the embassy employee as well as other factors. Sometimes you can just have a good rapport and get lucky other times not and through no fault of her own. I have also noticed through the years that it seems there are times when they are barely giving any out and other times when I am surprised at some of the people who have gotten them.

I would not take it personally - there simply are no guarantees...

• Like 2

she had not demonstrated a compelling reason to return to Thailand

Seems pretty cut and dried to me, especially if you were counting on the grand child as being an "anchor" baby, since I am sure the interviewer was aware that the whole family could pitch in and take care of the child

Where you made your mistake, IMHO, is all the emphasis was on YOU, and you were what the interview was all about, not her

Next time minimize your part in the process since if I were the interviewer the first thought I would have was that YOU were trying to get around the fiancee visa process via a Tourist Visa

I think this hits it perfectly. I'd ignore the childish trolling posts. The Consular Officer's questioning says it all. Many people do try to circumvent the fiancee visa process this way to save time since a fiancee visa can take 6-12 months. Even if she had all the assets I think it'd be difficult because of this. If I was the Consular Officer, I'd probably deny it too. I know it's not your intent to go to get married... it just looks that way, and would look even more that way had he/she seen all the documents.

Haha, thanks, yes, I have ignored the trolls (after unfortunately getting sucked into engaging one of them). Yes, it's pretty clear to me now that we never had a chance. Oh well, live and learn.

Way back when I was first married (Thai national) and fearing problems at the embassy, I

wrote my local congressman and asked him to write a letter of support to the embassy.

Given girl friend might not equal wife, but received a 10 year visa (was only asking for a year).

The interview process was a snap.

I'll never know if the letter of support from my congressman (I received a copy of it) helped,

but I'd like to think it did.

Good luck!

Wow, good for you! Yes, it does sound like the letter of support helped a lot.