US polygamist sect leaders arrested over fraud allegations

webfact

Mormon polygamy sect leaders arrested over fraud allegations

SALT LAKE CITY: -- Eleven members of a polygamist Mormon sect have been arrested in the US on suspicion of food stamp fraud and money laundering.

The suspects, including several senior members of the sect, were detained in the states of Utah and South Dakota. Prosecutors allege that they diverted funds from Utah's food aid programme.

In 2011 the sect's leader Warren Jeffs received a life sentence for sexually assaulting two underage followers he took as brides.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35645780

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-02-24

Great example of why religions should be taxed , they have less ethics than big business,

'less ethical' or maybe ... fewer ethics.

Ethics have nothing to do with why they are not taxed.

They are not profit making entities, and the law (wrongly) distinguishes them.

This will never change.

Scientology had a fantastic run!

Great documentary is out on them and how they ran circles around the IRS.

Going Clear is the name.

mormons dont do polygamy. ask any mormon. earlier days it was intended for multiplying.. i think. Mormons take their marriage serious and will seal to their partner for eternity.. which is kinda a scary thought.

Yeah. i also believe religion should be taxed.... but be exempted for charity works in the community or something. too many people claiming a higher athourity when they have none. put it this way. if you had Gods authority, you wouldn't brag or claim a hold to a title. like so many temples here.

the muslims coming to America with multiple wives and tons of kids are all getting free benefits.

If these mormons were muslims then is would be a moot issue.

Free benefits ? Are not confusing the USA with Denmark or France or Germany ?

the worst part is that religions are largely tax free around the world but DEMAND a say in the running of governments. Sought of confuses the "taxation without representation is tyranny". It could be argued that tyranny is also being forced to submit to laws shaped by non tax payers is the same.

mormons dont do polygamy. ask any mormon. earlier days it was intended for multiplying.. i think. Mormons take their marriage serious and will seal to their partner for eternity.. which is kinda a scary thought.

Yeah. i also believe religion should be taxed.... but be exempted for charity works in the community or something. too many people claiming a higher athourity when they have none. put it this way. if you had Gods authority, you wouldn't brag or claim a hold to a title. like so many temples here.

You are mistaken.

Many Mormons do indeed practice polygamy.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints [LDS Church] officially banned it in 1890, but the practice continued to be followed by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints [FLDS Church] and several other fundamentalist groups.

The Mormons were prosecuted for their kind of faith.

Conclusion : the Pilgrim Fathers who escaped to the American continent to have "freedom of faith" only had in mind their own faith ....which protected ONLY their version of "freedom of faith" / what I write now is based on what Prof Dr Mark A. Scholar has lectured me in a DVD series of "The Great Courses" "The Skeptic's Guide to American History"

This is such a none sense post, I am not a Mormon but spent a lot of time working in Salt Lake, the city is full of young attractive divorced blondes with two or three kids all devoted Mormons , I met loads of them.