I think retiring in Thailand is a really bad idea

There are always going to be different opinions on this subject and stories. Both my parents ended up in a care home (who do not give a s***, it is just a job to them) and I can tell you it rips your heart out visiting them and then having to leave them there, also my government takes every single penny they had earned all there hard working life. I am 62 years old, live in a quiet Thai town, with my extended Thai family, I have know doubts whatsoever they will take care of me if I become bed ridden and I will gladly give them all my remaining money for them to look after me, I have seen from first hand experience how Thai people look after there elderly family westerner or Thai, I can assure it is far better than in a care home in my home country. Life is now drink it while it is fizzing!!!!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an interesting thread OP and I too am curious why you are committed to Thailand at your age. I am a year younger than you and after 6 years in Thailand I realized while the rest of my friends were becoming famous music producers...execs at google...successful entrepeneurs...national TV talent phds and directors of departments at successful digital design agencies...members of exclusive unions like IATSE...home owners, parents, film makers and influencers of modern american and global culture... I have been dickin around in Thailand.

Fortunately I am working online and can be mobile...so the goal now is to get my gf to the states so she can make more money....Its not that I want to retire in America...but I would rather buy a house here first.

I have no pension ira or anything other the bullshit social security...where if I retire at 67...the projected ssi checks will be 1500 monthly. ..

Ugh. Ya.

Wasting the best earning years in thailand for me makes me feel behind my accomplished group of friends back home.

Great observations. If you don't pack it away, save and invest in your prime earning years, your so called golden years are going to be pretty danged bleak.

Its an interesting thread OP and I too am curious why you are committed to Thailand at your age. I am a year younger than you and after 6 years in Thailand I realized while the rest of my friends were becoming famous music producers...execs at google...successful entrepeneurs...national TV talent phds and directors of departments at successful digital design agencies...members of exclusive unions like IATSE...home owners, parents, film makers and influencers of modern american and global culture... I have been dickin around in Thailand.

Fortunately I am working online and can be mobile...so the goal now is to get my gf to the states so she can make more money....Its not that I want to retire in America...but I would rather buy a house here first.

I have no pension ira or anything other the bullshit social security...where if I retire at 67...the projected ssi checks will be 1500 monthly. ..

Ugh. Ya.

Wasting the best earning years in thailand for me makes me feel behind my accomplished group of friends back home.

Great observations. If you don't pack it away, save and invest in your prime earning years, your so called golden years are going to be pretty danged bleak.

This is exactly what I've recommended to younger expats and it's the exact opposite of what the OP is recommending. Coming here when you're young and pissing away your most productive earning years makes no sense. You're going to go back home at 40+ and compete with the 25 year olds? All the while, you're not contributing into the US entitlement system. Better to work hard during your prime earning years and retire in Thailand with no financial worries.

What I don't get is do these young guys really have that much difficulty hooking up with young ladies back home? Things must have changed quite a bit since I was young.

Came to Thailand some 20 years ago to work with an International Company and then took early retirement at 55 deciding to stay in Thailand.

Sure I could live back in UK and have a reasonable standard of living, but why when Thailand has so many advantages.

Great climate, great food, easy travel to other Asian countries for vacations, easy to pay off police for speeding, little planning restrictions for building your own house, and almost everything cheaper than UK.

Only ben back to UK three times for a total of 12 days in the last 15 years. Meeting up with old friends in UK was going into a time warp, nothing has changed back there and will never go back again.

Thailand has everything I need for a happy and enjoyable retirement.

Call me a bum, but I haven't worn a pair of "proper" shoes for 6 years, only flip flops, don't know what a tie or jacket is anymore, and nothing warmer than a T shirt in the wardrobe. I want to get one of those T shirts that says, "I'm retired, this is dressed up as I get".

Came to Thailand some 20 years ago to work with an International Company and then took early retirement at 55 deciding to stay in Thailand.

Sure I could live back in UK and have a reasonable standard of living, but why when Thailand has so many advantages.

Great climate, great food, easy travel to other Asian countries for vacations, easy to pay off police for speeding, little planning restrictions for building your own house, and almost everything cheaper than UK.

Only ben back to UK three times for a total of 12 days in the last 15 years. Meeting up with old friends in UK was going into a time warp, nothing has changed back there and will never go back again.

Thailand has everything I need for a happy and enjoyable retirement.

How old were you 20 years ago?

I came to Thailand when I was young (37years ago) stayed, always thought I would retire to Spain. Although this place has deteriorated beyond recognition, I will stay put. My opinion is that Thailand isn't really suitable for retiring to but it seems for many it is a better alternative.This idea that they respect the elderly is becoming less so and as a foreigner never was the case. I still having many friends at home, most still happily married, none of whom see Thailand as an option. The weather is a big factor in staying.

Or you could do things the way I did and come here in your early 20s and stay for the rest of your life. I am in my 60s now.smile.png If you have lived here as long as I have there really isn't anywhere to go back to. This is home.

As a matter of interest what is your immigration status?

"The biggest problem I have with Thailand is simply its third world status. It just can not and will never compete with the west regarding care for the elderly."

Have you ever been to a Third-World country??? Thailand is hardly "Third-World;" maybe only to an entitled, self-important westerner. You seem to have it all figured out...keep it to yourself.

"The biggest problem I have with Thailand is simply its third world status. It just can not and will never compete with the west regarding care for the elderly."

Have you ever been to a Third-World country??? Thailand is hardly "Third-World;" maybe only to an entitled, self-important westerner. You seem to have it all figured out...keep it to yourself.

I think he means in the West the elderly get sent to nursing homes, like that's a good thing..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Or you could do things the way I did and come here in your early 20s and stay for the rest of your life. I am in my 60s now.smile.png If you have lived here as long as I have there really isn't anywhere to go back to. This is home.

I have had many different kinds of visas over the years but for the last 18 years I have been on a marriage extension.

I think an expat can get to that same point quite quickly, it doesn't necessarily take decades although many don't realize it is true until they attempt to go back. I know it will resonate with many when I talk of the desire of an expat to holiday in their own country from time to time and how after a few days, the desire to return becomes overwhelming - eventually the coin drops and the person stops trying to leave and sees those holidays as undesirable and largely a waste of time.

I think an expat can get to that same point quite quickly, it doesn't necessarily take decades although many don't realize it is true until they attempt to go back. I know it will resonate with many when I talk of the desire of an expat to holiday in their own country from time to time and how after a few days, the desire to return becomes overwhelming - eventually the coin drops and the person stops trying to leave and sees those holidays as undesirable and largely a waste of time.

I went through a phase where I didn't enjoy my trips back home for a while but I got over it. Things change for me again in the last couple of years after my parents died, now there really isn't anything at all for me to go back to.

I'm on a holiday of sorts...extended for 3 months traveling to different cities...I don't know...I miss my gf...but I want to go to brazil next for a month before returning to thailand. Even then I am trying to get my gf to move to tokyo or SG or something...maybe saigon actually or somewhere in vietnam...i kinda need a break and like others have said SEA is a good place to be if you want to take a few months stylez vacation. rent. room.- bike getaways in other countries for a bit.

thats actually a great idea if money is no problem.

spend your youth in thailand, then when the party and women are no longer priorites, retire to your home country with excellent health care and infrastructure.

why didnt i think of that?

Different strokes. Lots of happy retired guys in Thailand. I personally wouldn't retire there but it's a personal choice and who's to say? You're not of that age yet so you may feel different when you're a bit older. Us older guys were young once too!

And the cities I am rolling in (back home in the States) is a fantastic experience... I am loving it! So convenient and fresh and...with my people! Trump politics- elections...not military juncta silence red shirt attitude adjustments koh tao corruption lemme see your passport shit everywhere.

Actually i have shown my passport to open some accounts and document procurement purposes---but in English and They are being so nice!

it is strange reconnecting with old friends...its good...but...ya...everyone has....developed in their lives.

Interesting to say the least carving out this bi-continental lifestyle.

Edited by fireplay

And the cities I am rolling in (back home in the States) is a fantastic experience... I am loving it! So convenient and fresh and...with my people! Trump politics- elections...not military juncta silence red shirt attitude adjustments koh tao corruption lemme see your passport shit everywhere.

Actually i have shown my passport to open some accounts and document procurement purposes---but in English and They are being so nice!

it is strange reconnecting with old friends...its good...but...ya...everyone has....developed in their lives.

Interesting to say the least carving out this bi-continental lifestyle.

I can relate to that and indeed I went through the same thing, I couldn't wait to get back home and when I did I really enjoyed it. But then over time and with an increasing number of trips backwards and forwards, the pleasure I got from being in one place surpassed the pleasure I got from being in the other until I reached a point where I didn't really want to go back at all. Perhaps it was the sheer volume of trips, maybe it was about being older, maybe it was about understanding Asia better or maybe, it was a combination of all those things. I know that a part of the reason for not wanting to go back is the high cost of everything by comparison to my needs in Asia, another part of it is that I have very very little in common with my fellow countrymen on their home turf, our horizons seem to be set and different levels and our interests are radically different. The difference in the weather is of course a major major factor also, I am used to 32 degrees and I like it, I hate cold, grey, damp and drizzle, that alone would convince me that Thailand is the far better place to be.

I have had many different kinds of visas over the years but for the last 18 years I have been on a marriage extension.

There ought to be a way of giving someone as settled as you a more permanent tenure.

After retiring we began splitting our time between the US and Thailand, spending six months in each. We were looking to find a place so that we could avoid the cold winters, and we decided (actually my idea) to do that here, in part to bring my Thai wife of forty years back home. She loves being back with her family and helping out a bit taking care of her very, very elderly mother, and I thoroughly enjoy myself here as well.

We are finishing up our fourth winter here.

However, we have both decided that at some point when the travel and visits become less fun, we will remain in the US. That is unless I die first, then she will return here permanently where she will spend the remainder of her days. I have already set up the infrastructure so that taxes, social security, investments etc will be taken care of on her behalf.

However, if she passes away first, I will return to the US. Without her, that is where I want to end my days.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I agree with you though in my case I have been on a retirement extension since 2009 though I did have some marriage extensions before that when I was a FIFO.

I might just move to Philippinz. I'm reading you can even own a house to your name once you're married. And the chicks are hotter. I am sure the expat forums are more polite too. Heck, I might even be able to speak English to a woman again. Oh.... Wait..... I got married. Guess just have to join the rest of miserable expats here.

Well i am moving there,cheaper ,cooler climate,and the people can speak English,my girlfriend when to high school and college and can speak perfect English,also not an ex bar girl,,bohol island,pretty quite place,nice beaches,if you want the big city,Cebu is a short ferry ride away.

I might just move to Philippinz. I'm reading you can even own a house to your name once you're married. And the chicks are hotter. I am sure the expat forums are more polite too. Heck, I might even be able to speak English to a woman again. Oh.... Wait..... I got married. Guess just have to join the rest of miserable expats here.

Well i am moving there,cheaper ,cooler climate,and the people can speak English,my girlfriend when to high school and college and can speak perfect English,also not an ex bar girl,,bohol island,pretty quite place,nice beaches,if you want the big city,Cebu is a short ferry ride away.

My girlfriend doesn't speak English and I enjoy speaking Thai. However, as we met while both studying at the Sorbonne, when we discuss the works of Zola or Balzac or watch movies by François Truffaut, we do it in French.

Edited by JLCrab

My girlfriend doesn't speak English and I enjoy speaking Thai. However, as we met while both studying at the Sorbonne, when we discuss the works of Zola or Balzac or watch movies by François Truffaut, we do it in French.

French is good.