Rules For Bringing Food Into Thailand

Karlo

What are the customs regulations about what food I can bring with me in my luggage.... I was thinking of bringing some vacuum packed high quality sausages as I could never find good quality sausages on my visits.

If there are rules I doubt they will be enforced, I have brought in so many odd things over the years and NEVER been stopped once, Petrol hedge cutters, petrol leaf blower, Palm trees, assorted food stuffs tools etc etc and I dont mean a bit I mean 50-60 kilos at a time in my luggage

No problem at all. I always come back with as many Kiwi meat pies as I can stuff in the suitcase. I also bring back some decent kiwi steaks in a chilli bag.

Your sausages won't present a problem, although I'd suggest you pack it in your check in luggage to avoid any dramas with cabin luggage checks when you board the plane wherever you're coming from.

If there are rules I doubt they will be enforced, I have brought in so many odd things over the years and NEVER been stopped once, Petrol hedge cutters, petrol leaf blower, Palm trees, assorted food stuffs tools etc etc and I dont mean a bit I mean 50-60 kilos at a time in my luggage

How do you manage to get 50-60 kg that weight I am sure is checked in luggage... What's the tip not to get charged a huge amount for every kilo over your baggage allowance

How do you manage to get 50-60 kg that weight I am sure is checked in luggage... What's the tip not to get charged a huge amount for every kilo over your baggage allowance

Fly business class and belong to a frequent flyer programme.

I also get about 60kg if I combine all my allowances. Some airlines give you nearly as much in economy if your FF tier is high enough.

Fly business class and belong to a frequent flyer programme.

I also get about 60kg if I combine all my allowances. Some airlines give you nearly as much in economy if your FF tier is high enough.

Back in the day, I got 3 bags at 70Lb each from United as a Premiere Exec member, and that was in economy.

I am a bit surprised you cannot find acceptable sausages here, Karlo. I have had what I consider some very good sausage ,,,, but then again, there are so many different kinds of sausage it would not be odd if a particular favourite is lacking. I have not had what we call breakfast sausage in the US, but I have not been looking for such either. Most of what I have had is a German/Thai effort, with the German bit being the key to familiar product.
It is not too difficult to make sausage, if you do not mind a bit of kitchen work. I would guess you can find the spices in the import department at Tesco, though I have not been impelled to investigate yet.
A quick Google search revealed a number of outlets for world varieties of sausage, both imported and made here in Bangkok. I do not know if Bkk is convenient to you, but lots of choice here, with the understanding they will likely not be cheap.
Good luck.

Emirates Business or First + frequent flyer Gold = a LOT of luggage I think its 56 kg business 66kg first + hand luggage 2x7 kilos total 70kilos+ and Ive often been over with no problems with them. 2-3 big bags + hand luggage 2 more small bags.

It has never been a problem for me... never have givent it a thought since coming from the U.S. My main purpose when I return is to bring back quality stuff I can't get here. Allowed to bags 50lbs each, one is stuff with steak, baby back pork ribs, pull pork, cheese, etc... frozen and if possible vacuum packed, By the time I get here it is still cold but unfrozen. I even go as far as bringing back quality nails and screws.

I brought in 7 large jars of Vegemite on my last flight here. OK, non-Australians don't consider that to be food. To us, it is a sacred breakfast ritual.

Maybe off-topic; however, I've always liked boerewors as a very tasty sausage. There's a bar in Chiang Rai that has Cumberland sausage on its breakfast menu.

It has never been a problem for me... never have givent it a thought since coming from the U.S. My main purpose when I return is to bring back quality stuff I can't get here. Allowed to bags 50lbs each, one is stuff with steak, baby back pork ribs, pull pork, cheese, etc... frozen and if possible vacuum packed, By the time I get here it is still cold but unfrozen. I even go as far as bringing back quality nails and screws.

You can get really good quality screws in Thailand, low cost.

I brought in 7 large jars of Vegemite on my last flight here. OK, non-Australians don't consider that to be food. To us, it is a sacred breakfast ritual.

Maybe off-topic; however, I've always liked boerewors as a very tasty sausage. There's a bar in Chiang Rai that has Cumberland sausage on its breakfast menu.

No problem bringing that IN to Thailand, but it was a problem taking it OUT of USA.

The security classed Vegemite and peanut butter as a liquid and wouldn't allow it (as hand luggage). It was ok in the suitcase but that had already been sent through.

No problem bringing that IN to Thailand, but it was a problem taking it OUT of USA.

The security classed Vegemite and peanut butter as a liquid and wouldn't allow it (as hand luggage). It was ok in the suitcase but that had already been sent through.

A guy I used to work with tried to take Vegemite into Libya. Customs thought it was plastic explosive, and made him eat half the jar to prove it wasn't.

I often bring car parts, tools, food, coffee, mobile phones and spirits in my checked luggage. Usually around 80 KG. I pay the excess luggage costs.

I was stopped for the first time, due to having 4 suitcases I think, at BKK 3 months ago. They made me empty the entire contents after scanning the lot and tried to make me pay duty on a 12 volt - 240 volt inverter. I explained it was for my personal use as were all the tools and car bits. Eventually they let me go after a fair amount of arguing.

Not a word about all the Kinder Eggs, Coffee, food and drink.

I will be cautious next time. Things seem to be hotting up.

I often bring car parts, tools, food, coffee, mobile phones and spirits in my checked luggage. Usually around 80 KG. I pay the excess luggage costs.

I was stopped for the first time, due to having 4 suitcases I think, at BKK 3 months ago. They made me empty the entire contents after scanning the lot and tried to make me pay duty on a 12 volt - 240 volt inverter. I explained it was for my personal use as were all the tools and car bits. Eventually they let me go after a fair amount of arguing.

Not a word about all the Kinder Eggs, Coffee, food and drink.

I will be cautious next time. Things seem to be hotting up.

You're reminding me of Radar O'Reilly in M*A*S*H posting a jeep back home piece by piecesmile.png

The Swan on soi Yamato in Pattaya has Cumberland sausage on its breakfast menu.

l had never had it before but now l like.!

Very tasty.

A guy I used to work with tried to take Vegemite into Libya. Customs thought it was plastic explosive, and made him eat half the jar to prove it wasn't.

l like vegemite on hot buttered toast when it combines with the butter & soaks into the toast.

Great on a cold morning with tea or coffee.

Stainless steel ones?

Stainless steel ones?

Did that go through to the wicketkeeper? Or perhaps you have not considered Russian dentistry.......

Stainless steel ones?

Deck screws! The one here no matter where I buy, end up rusting and any force on the top they get stripped.

Stainless steel ones?

Deck screws! The one here no matter where I buy, end up rusting and any force on the top they get stripped.

Oh dear, we do have some serious people on TV. Any force on the top and they get stripped, indeed.cheesy.gif

Stainless steel ones?

Did that go through to the wicketkeeper? Or perhaps you have not considered Russian dentistry.......

not my wickets but maybe yoursgiggle.gif now youve spoiled the whole gametongue.png I was gonna get him excited and suggested he needed to bang them in hard to make it work

Edited by kannot