Math teacher under investigation for slapping schoolgirls in Pathum Thani

webfact

Math Teacher Under Investigation for Slapping Schoolgirls
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14563818741456381888l.jpg
A still image shows Thanabodi Polrak slapping several of his students Tuesday at the Thammasat Khlongluang Withayakhom school in Pathum Thani province. Image: La Bikini / YouTube

PATHUM THANI — A 59-year-old math teacher faces disciplinary action after a video spread showing him smacking schoolgirls in front of the classroom.

Director of the Thammasat Khlongluang Withayakhom School in northern metro Bangkok said the teacher, Thanabodi Polrak, had good intentions when he slapped the ninth-graders Tuesday morning for repeatedly failing to turn in their homework.

“The teacher admitted he was caught up in momentary rage. He didn’t intend to use violence on the children,” school director Surachai Pinyocheep told reporters Thursday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456381874

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-25

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Director of the Thammasat Khlongluang Withayakhom School in northern metro Bangkok said the teacher, Thanabodi Polrak, had good intentions when he slapped the ninth-graders Tuesday morning for repeatedly failing to turn in their homework.

651.gif

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed to death for this, but I'm really sick with this "a slap is unacceptable, traumatizing violence" nonsense.

9th graders are no small kids. Look at these girls, some of them are taller than he is.

Have I been slapped by my teachers when I was a kid? yes, several times, although one of my primary school teacher, being a football (soccer for you americans) player, used to prefer a good kick in the butt

Was I traumatized? no

Am I angry at these teachers? not the tinest, for as far as I can recall I did really deserve it every time. Actually I'm still friends with that teacher with a good kick. He's a very old guy now.

If one of those girls was my daughter..that teacher would pay in the biggest way!!!

How?

..use your imagination....eye for an eye 10 fold maybe

Very easy to be big.brave and threatening on TV !

I wonder how "brave" you would be when charged with assault ?

"Director of the Thammasat Khlongluang Withayakhom School in northern metro Bangkok said the teacher, Thanabodi Polrak, had good intentions when he slapped the ninth-graders..."

What is the way to act upon his good intentions? Verbally demean his students. Did the director think that hitting the student for poor grades was more acceptable than hitting her because she was wearing a warm coat on a chilly day, and that made her look like a hill tribe child? He should have condemned the action, no matter what the reason.

Either reason for this action, it is no surprise that students lose respect and are bored with an education system that forces them to memorize and regurgitate useless facts with no attempt to make the lessons meaningful and useful. Add to that the physical and psychological abuse, it is a small wonder why Thailand's schools lag behind the rest of Asia in educational standards, and why most of its top students choose to study and work elsewhere.

However, TIT, and any change in the education system would force some higher ups to lose face, and everything will be done to avoid that from happening. After all, Thailand's priorities and ancient standards must be upheld no matter what.

Edited by jaltsc

HOLD ON... I don't give a rat's ass what his intentions were. He assaulted children in his charge. And I might say he seemed very comfortable doing it... I saw the video on "another newspaper."

Considering how "different" things are in Thailand, he'll probable get a raise and the student who recorded the video will get the sxxx.

If one of those girls was my daughter..that teacher would pay in the biggest way!!!

When my daughter went to kindergarten in Thailand,

I met the teacher and told her that no one was to lay

a hand on my daughter. Ever. And I was not smiling when

I said that......

So yeah, if I saw footage of some

lunatic Thai teacher slapping my daughter around,

it would not go well for him. Not an issue any more

as my daughter now attends school in America.

Where teachers slapping kids around does not

exist...... :-)

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed to death for this, but I'm really sick with this "a slap is unacceptable, traumatizing violence" nonsense.

9th graders are no small kids. Look at these girls, some of them are taller than he is.

Have I been slapped by my teachers when I was a kid? yes, several times, although one of my primary school teacher, being a football (soccer for you americans) player, used to prefer a good kick in the butt

Was I traumatized? no

Am I angry at these teachers? not the tinest, for as far as I can recall I did really deserve it every time. Actually I'm still friends with that teacher with a good kick. He's a very old guy now.

"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."

Mahatma Gandhi

Was I traumatized? no

Times have changed. When I was much younger than these girls I was smacked on my hands by a ruler in front of the class. Can't remember what I did wrong but I remember it hurt a lot and I didn't want it to happen again!

Was I traumatized? no

You won't be flamed, you'll get some justified criticism of your apparent ignorance of the matter.

"Have I been slapped by my teachers when I was a kid? yes, several times, although one of my primary school teacher, being a football (soccer for you americans) player, used to prefer a good kick in the butt

Was I traumatized? no"

...apart from the fact you believe in violence against children???

PS - "as far as I can recall I did really deserve it every time." - and really low self esteem?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Just saw the clip ... and hitting on the head is and always was (even in the good ol' days, yawn, yawn) a complete no-no.

Although corporal punishment at schools has been banned in most countries, you've got to admit, it didn't do us any harm but again, hitting on the head!?

Good luck with the parents 'Kru Somchai'.

How?

I have no fear of that if it came to this and I'm sure there would many who support my actions...TIT..anything can happen if you take care of the right people

How?

I would do the same. You obviously don't have a child.

I said that......

You handled that right..my daughter is in a good international school now run by international standards and people with no signs of that nonsense anywhere near happening...but this kind of stuff just sickens me to no end and of course this idiot of a teacher will never face the consequenses that he should

Was I traumatized? no

If it's an outlawed practice, it is unacceptable, simple.

I hear and understand you point about being caned, hit with a ruler, even had the board eraser thrown at me too and yes, i accepted it as punishment.

But if a teacher ever struck me on the head, I'm quite sure my parents would have been at school quicker than I can ever imagine. That is where punishment crosses the line and then turns into unnecessary violence.

Adults striking kids on their heads! What, when, where, why, how, is/was this acceptable? Please explain more.

Typical Thai male no self-control and always someone or something else to blame for their actions its a wonder he didnt say that he was just teaching the boys in the class how to control their woman in later life once they grow up to be real men, and total halfwits, no excuse for such immoral behaviour from a person in a trusted position with children.

I said that......

Incorrect, If they misbehave in school they should be punished, slap with ruler on hand end of.

That's why so many kids grow up turning into spoilt brats with parents who cannot control them.

Just look at the 3 news stories this week on Thai teenagers burning his gf, strangling gf cat, smashing up cars.

It appears to me that he had an exercise book in his hand! Now I know that some of you have been brought up in a non-violent household where the harshest action was for your parents to look "disappointed" with a slow shake of the head?

In the real world, where the majority of people worked really hard to make ends meet, the occasional "flick", smack or kick up the bum (if you were really stupid) disappeared from memory in under 10 minutes!

Anyone who has tried to teach M2 or M3 or get them to do homework (gasp!!) will understand the angst this teacher is feeling.....If you are going to rage, then rage against the system that creates such poor students!! I hate myself for saying that but sometimes the teacher does their best and it's like whistling in the wind!!!

facepalm.gifwink.pngthumbsup.gifsad.pngwai.gif