Bang for your buck

oval

One of the old two strokes like the Honda NSR 150's Kawasaki's KRR's and Yamaha TZR & TZM 150's will give you most thrills and will put a smile on your face.

Good examples can be found between 20 and 50K

This.

I've got 2 NSRs, built 1 out of the 2.

30k all up + quite a bit of work (done myself) have 1 cracker and 1 hack for spares.

Out runs stock 4T 300s in accel and top speed and it only has a pipe, could make it a lot faster.

IMO there is no better bang for buck.

Wouldn't mind an ol' 2-smoker myself. Bring myself back to my teenage years. :D

How do they fair up on long trips, say BKK-CM straight?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the odd NSR250 be listed here from 80k-350k!

That would put your smile on the back on your head.

You might just get very lucky if you look around. biggrin.png

Speak of the devil.

Or his neighbor at least.

http://www.kaidee.com/product-113371780#

TZR250. 2-stroke.

125k baht.

You best hold onto your eyeballs when you pull back the throttle.

If you're looking for bang for buck.... there it is.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

This is not "crotch rocket" material but if you don't mind the "retro" look have a look at the "Stallion" motorcycles. a twin cylinder. 4 stroke. 400cc version. New for around 100,000 Baht. Made in Thailand.

I haven't seen the bigger version personally but have seen the smaller ones. They are becoming "trendy here at the moment.

I found this : http://www.splmotor.co.th/p_29309_163342_474985_CT400.htm

and this : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846620-stallions-400cc-any-good/

There are other sites I have seen. but they are all in Thai too.

Interesting, and different, parts should be cheap and a new bike will have some sort of service and warranty with it you would think.

they are a single cylinder. Chinese made assembled in thailand. price around baht 120000.....http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Stallion-Centaur-CT400_400cc-Cafe-Racer

This is not "crotch rocket" material but if you don't mind the "retro" look have a look at the "Stallion" motorcycles. a twin cylinder. 4 stroke. 400cc version. New for around 100,000 Baht. Made in Thailand.

I haven't seen the bigger version personally but have seen the smaller ones. They are becoming "trendy here at the moment.

I found this : http://www.splmotor.co.th/p_29309_163342_474985_CT400.htm

and this : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846620-stallions-400cc-any-good/

There are other sites I have seen. but they are all in Thai too.

Interesting, and different, parts should be cheap and a new bike will have some sort of service and warranty with it you would think.

they are a single cylinder. Chinese made assembled in thailand. price around baht 120000.....http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Stallion-Centaur-CT400_400cc-Cafe-Racer

There are too many stories about Chinese bikes requiring a virtual rebuild after driving them back from the place of purchase that put me off! I lived in China for years and saw the quality....stick with the big four, ( By the way, I would put Bikes like Ducati into the same class as Platinum and Keeway, JUNK) Just have a google at some of their horrendous failures, and just remind yourself of how much money customers are paying for Italian JUNK!

If I had the money and a longer set of legs, it would be the BMW for me.

Surveys show BMW is the most unreliable bike.

Really? I saw that they incredibly had a 40% failure rate, shocking eh!

But....and 40% fail is no excuse, but, out of the terrible 40% failure rate, how many were effectively repaired?

The problem that I have looking at Italian junk like Ducati, once they fail, they keep failing forever.

There are a load of videos on YouTube where the bike gets 300 yards from the dealer after the repair and it fails again.

I must admit, I am really surprised at BMW, guess it has been a long time since I was around those bikes. Go back 15 -20 years, they were indestructible.

Guess I am getting old and the bikes these days just have too much electronic junk fitted to them. Still wouldn't touch a Ducati though, or a Platinum or a Keeway.

Surveys show BMW is the most unreliable bike.

For sure you can show evidence of these surveys.

of course! papa is not making this shit up.

By the way, surveys is plural... So....

yes, it is plural

you can tell by that little 's' at the end.

Stick on topic would be appreciated!

IMO reliability is a component of bang, hence germane.

Will you be holding a bit of cash back for a decent helmet and safety clothing or just relying on the t-shirt/shorts/flip-flops & Index waste-paper basket approach?
I sincerely hope not.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Well, I don't know and I guess it is all subjective.

What do you want? A Honda Tsunami (Wave) is cheap especially if second hand.

A Kawasaki 800 represents good value for money (assembled here. I believe) and would be a great "crotch rocket".

A CBR 250 represents a fairly good "middle of the road" choice.

It is all about money (as always) and what you want...

As Grandma used to say "you can't have your cake and eat it!!"

You are SERIOUSLY thinking of taking a scooter from Bangkok to Chiang Mai..... good luck with that one!! Plenty of stop overs and risking life and limb, "boom boom boom, another one bites the dust..... "

I have taken one of my Harley;s from Phuket to Khon Kaen, Nong Kai and to Nakohm Panom and back again. and THOROUGHLY enjoyed the ride. But it was still trying at times and I had all the time in the world and made stop overs whenever needed.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Also strange to hear of people talk about the CBR250 in a bang for buck discussion.

It has about as much bang as an astmhatic's cough.

cheap and easy, sure. Bang, err, no.

on 2nd hand bikes, the following will all be hitting 100k baht soon, Ninja 300, CBR500, Er-650's.

Good times for those who want a decent bike but don't have a lot of money.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Royal Enfield just established a distributorship here in Thailand. Just sold my Harley 5 months ago and am thinking about buying one myself. Just saw the article on TVF yesterday. Something to look into.

Cheers

Been trying to send you a PM about the Enfield but it doesn't work for some reason. Can you PM me please?

I notice a lack of recommendations for Keeway and Platinum......I wonder why?

Because the poster said his budget was 100k and he doesn't mind a used bike.

Also, Keyway and Platinum bikes are not fast, and he wants something quick.

I bought a Platinum PX175 about 8 years ago and kept to for about a year, to be fair it was a good little bike for the money. It never let me down and though it was not very fast it was adequate for he purpose. The Keyway bikes are very good for the money, read some reviews written by actual owners.

Yes the Japanese bikes are superior, but Chinese bikes are getting better all the time and don't deserve the derogatory comments from people who have never really owned or ridden one.

I notice a lack of recommendations for Keeway and Platinum......I wonder why?

Because the poster said his budget was 100k and he doesn't mind a used bike.

Also, Keyway and Platinum bikes are not fast, and he wants something quick.

I bought a Platinum PX175 about 8 years ago and kept to for about a year, to be fair it was a good little bike for the money. It never let me down and though it was not very fast it was adequate for he purpose. The Keyway bikes are very good for the money, read some reviews written by actual owners.

Yes the Japanese bikes are superior, but Chinese bikes are getting better all the time and don't deserve the derogatory comments from people who have never really owned or ridden one.

I would imagine all bikes are superior to China bikes. I think it depends on where your homeland is. For me being from US I don't care what others think but I would never own a China bike, why? Because it's a China bike.