Obtaining a Non B VISA in Malaysia - Help needed!

Hey guys

I am travelling to Malaysia this weekend to get a Non-Immigrant B VISA (teaching) and I have a few questions.

1) I often see people say to avoid Kuala Lumpa for VISAs - Do they mean just for people who are going for back to back tourist VISAs or am I likely to have a problem with the Non B as well? And if so would Penang be a better option?

2) The Embassy website says I require the following documents:

1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).
2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).
3. Copy of work permit of Thailand or
4. Original Letter of approval from the ministry of Labour (ต.ท.3) or
5. Letter from Board of Investment of Thailand (B.O.I.)
6. Documents required from the company in Thailand:
6.1 Letter indicating applicant’s name, passport number and the objective of the visit to Thailand, etc., requesting for Non-Immigration Type ‘B’ visa.
6.2 Copy of the company’s registration and business license.
6.3 Copy of the company’s list of shareholders.
6.4 Copy of the company’s latest balance sheet.
6.5 Copy of the company’s registration of value-added tax (VAT).
6.6 Map indicating the location of the company.
Obviously this is for a standard Non B - Are there any other extra documents that I should take because it is for teaching?
3) I imagine I will need my degree and transcripts - Does this have to be an original or can i take copies?
4) I dont have a criminal record check from the UK. On other embassy websites i notice it says this is optional depending on whether they are requested by the ministry of labour. It hasn't been but can they be awkward with things like this sometimes?
Many thanks in advance

If you are applying for a "B" visa based on Teaching you may well be expected to have a criminal record check.

KL should be avoided because they are unpredictable in their demands.

Penang or Vientiane are better choices of place to apply for a visa.

Thanks for your help.

I have one more question. The VISA officer at the school I will be working at has just given me what she says I will need to get the Non B VISA (passport photocopies, degree certificate, school registration details etc), but it doesnt have a "Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission"

I have a feeling that without this there is no chance of me getting said VISA, but she seems to think only Vientiane are strict on this. She tells me I will be fine. Does anybody with experience know how strict they are with this document?

Thanks again

The info appears to be for business or working for a company. For teaching there is a list here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/966/19004-TEACHING.html

This from that page. "7. Original Letter of Good Conduct or Certificate of Criminal Clearance issues by the Police Department."

​I think you will need a police clearance certificate from the Thai police.

Thanks for your help.

I have one more question. The VISA officer at the school I will be working at has just given me what she says I will need to get the Non B VISA (passport photocopies, degree certificate, school registration details etc), but it doesnt have a "Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission"

I have a feeling that without this there is no chance of me getting said VISA, but she seems to think only Vientiane are strict on this. She tells me I will be fine. Does anybody with experience know how strict they are with this document?

Thanks again

If the school are paying your travel, accommodation and visa costs I would follow the advice given by the schools "visa Officer".

If you are self funding I would insist on having everything the school lists as being required !smile.png

Documents required from the company in Thailand:

6.1 Letter indicating applicant’s name, passport number and the objective of the visit to Thailand, etc., requesting for Non-Immigration Type ‘B’ visa.
I have some questions, please. This is about getting a B to work for a company.
Is this list current ? ( Going to Penang)
What should be in the letter specifically about " visit to Thailand" Does the occupation need to be spelled out in detail
Does that map have to be hand drawn? I have read google maps are not accepted at some places.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Documents required from the company in Thailand:

I have some questions, please. This is about getting a B to work for a company.
Is this list current ? ( Going to Penang)
What should be in the letter specifically about " visit to Thailand" Does the occupation need to be spelled out in detail
Does that map have to be hand drawn? I have read google maps are not accepted at some places.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Penang's requirements can be found here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/services-20140508-110623-169095.pdf

Number 12 is a work permit approval letter from the Labor Ministry unless you already have a work permit.

Also the visa fees are higher than shown on the PDF.

Sorry I was looking at the OP list...

Just one more thing- or two...

The letter from the company, can the general manager sign it or does it need the corporate director ( this will be a resort in Pattaya, with company headquarter in Bangkok )

And assume all papers need company seal, and MD signature?

Edited by Moonsterk

Thanks for your help.

Thanks again

If the school are paying your travel, accommodation and visa costs I would follow the advice given by the schools "visa Officer".

If you are self funding I would insist on having everything the school lists as being required !smile.png

This is not good I think. Bad advice. It is always good to do the right thing. Though the school visa officer is not following what the OP is tell them, he will get back to them with at least some good advice from here and they can change and do the right documents for him. Going out multiple times just because the money is not coming from the OP is wrong. It is important to be considerate. The letter from the education office for private school is a necessity. The OP needs that letter. What if he follows your advice and goes but return without a visa because the documents are not correct and the school asks him to pay for the expenses in going the second time? I have a story to share here. While teaching in China, there was one guy from one African country who had some problems with his school about paying the flight for his holiday to his country. After some tense argument, the school accepted to pay. He then said since the school first argued what was in the contract, he would punish them. He told them he could only fly Air France which the cost was almost twice that of Ethiopian or Kenyan Airlines. The school bought the Air France ticket for him. He went to his country without any problem. In returning to China from his country passing through France, he needed a transit visa which the French consulate or embassy in his country refused to grant him. He had no choice than to pay his flight back through Ethiopian Airlines. Had he not said oh, I am not the one paying so let me exploit them, he would have used the normal Ethiopian or Kenyan Airlines and he would not have found himself in the mess of paying his return flight by himself. When you feel that he can go as many times as he can simply because he is not the one paying is totally out of place as some unforeseen circumstances could push him to spending more as a result of that.