Bank account + ATM with 30 day stamp

thaitero

Friend is coming to Pattaya with 30 day stamp. Needs local account + ATM. Internet access is plus but not must to have.

Any recent Pattaya experiences so this could be accomplished without using all day for this task.

I have 2 accounts but they are opened several years ago so i have no idea what they need/ask now to open account.

Thank you very much for any help which will save time..wai.gif

Edited by thaitero

Far as i know most the banks require a residency certificate from Jomtien Immigration..............dont think he will get one on a 30 day stamp.

That said a friend of mine has just opened an account and he was on a 30 day extension stamp from Jomtien after a 60 day tourist visa................he did however have to take out an accident insurance policy which cost him 4k baht ......Bangkok Bank

There's a newly opened Bangkok bank on Central Road, east of Big C Extra, just walk towards Foodland, Its on the same row of buildings as the SS hotel and Ducati Dealer, being recently opened, they're on a drive for new customers and new accounts, they're sure to overlook/smooth over some requirements as they're getting into shape

On the Bangkok Bank website is says..

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for
a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit
card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide
is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,
a reference letter from your embassy,
your home bank or a person acceptable
to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

Edited by jacko45k

I've opened numerous Bangkok Bank savings accounts with just a 30 day stamp and a residency certificate (you need an address of some kind so they can send statements and such).

Remember - SAVINGS account (which comes with an ATM debit card). NOT a chequing account. NO "internet" banking. Just a SAVINGS account (regular and fixed term deposits).

Dear old dad was turned down only because when he tried, he only had a week left on his 30 day stamp. When he came back 6 weeks later, no problem. Once I got my Non-O(A) I was able to get internet banking as well.

I've opened numerous Bangkok Bank savings accounts with just a 30 day stamp and a residency certificate (you need an address of some kind so they can send statements and such).

Remember - SAVINGS account (which comes with an ATM debit card). NOT a chequing account. NO "internet" banking. Just a SAVINGS account (regular and fixed term deposits).

Dear old dad was turned down only because when he tried, he only had a week left on his 30 day stamp. When he came back 6 weeks later, no problem. Once I got my Non-O(A) I was able to get internet banking as well.

Do Bangkok Bank send statements? In nearly 10 years with an SCB savings account I have never had any correspondence from them?

Once you have an account I would be surprised if you cannot then get internet banking with it - no matter what your visa status.

I can not help with recent experiences.

Last one is from 2012 (a mate).

But really first stop for trouble free account opening is Kasikorn Bank.

Two positive experiences with the branch in Royal Garden at beach road, 1st floor.

Nothing more than a passport needed, business card from hotel.

Savings account, ATM card AND internet access.

As others wrote: make clear that you want a savings account (no credit, no credit card just debit card).

About address: I NEVER got any postal mail from Kasikorn. They didn't even care to change address from hotel address to my current residential address.

Thai banks don't send account statements or the like for savings account.

The account book is all what is updated.

Also never got this from Bangkok Bank or SCB. Just some advertisement or party invitation.

Annoying: they also don't send a reminder when your ATM card expires.

So check regularly especially when going on a trip.

(for a new ATM card you need to have the account book at hand, passport is not sufficient)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Do Bangkok Bank send statements? In nearly 10 years with an SCB savings account I have never had any correspondence from them?

Once you have an account I would be surprised if you cannot then get internet banking with it - no matter what your visa status.

Agree, never got documents from SCB. And that is good. Everything is online available. Absolutely sufficient.

Bangkok Bank will allow online banking if you are on a long stay extension; they will open a savings account for Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry, but will not set up the account for online banking. If you are from USA, some banks are apparently refusing to open accounts because of FACTA reporting requirements. Bangkok Bank has signed an agreement with IRS in USA - they will open an account, but will require a Taxpayer ID form be completed. IRS Form W-9 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

If you are from USA, some banks are apparently refusing to open accounts because of FACTA reporting requirements

And if you are not from the US (not taxable in the US) you have to sign some form.

I never read it in detail.

a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit

to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

I don't think the Bangkok Bank managers are too interested in their website, just like the other Thai banks they will just make up their own rules.

Where did you obtain the Residency Certificate whilst on a "30 day stamp" ?

Did you also meet all the other requirement of the BKK bank ? If so how ?

"Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals.

All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,a reference letter from your embassy,your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."
Edited by sunnyjim5

I obtained a residency certificate at Phitsanulok immigration on a 30 day visa exemption in order to obtain a driving license.

I obtained a residency certificate at Phitsanulok immigration on a 30 day visa exemption in order to obtain a driving license.

You were lucky ! What was the cost ?

You were lucky ! What was the cost ?

Very minimal it was two years ago I think it was 200 baht,I must add that I had previous extensions of stay for visiting a Thai child and have been using this particular office since it replaced the Nan one for people living in Phetchabun province.

Far as i know most the banks require a residency certificate from Jomtien Immigration..............dont think he will get one on a 30 day stamp.

That said a friend of mine has just opened an account and he was on a 30 day extension stamp from Jomtien after a 60 day tourist visa................he did however have to take out an accident insurance policy which cost him 4k baht ......Bangkok Bank

Sucked in.

SCB wont even answer my whinging emails.

When i came to live i khon kaen,i am English,in Thailand for 16 years) went to the SCB to open a savings account,i already have an account with the kasicorn,in pattaya.My wife also banks with SCB.I took my passport (non o and retirement visa) and the marriage cert,my proof of address here,and my Thai drivers licence(just in case) before i could open the account the girl produced a paper that i had to fill out.it was all about me not being an American.The questions it asked were pretty harsh,about tax in the UK,had i ever been involved/owned any bushiness's in the USA,and many other declarative questions.I asked why and she told me 'cannot open a account for American'

I never realised that there was a problem with Americans opening accounts here.I was told it was because Americans are still liable for income tax in their own country,and The USA has an agreement with Tahiland to inform the USA government of their citizens opening accounts here.I can understand the Americans being pisosed at having to declare any monies earned here and having to pay tax on them back home.

The Guy who was helping me with the account did tell me that to get around it,a lot of USA citizens are going to Singapore and opening accounts there.The story goes,and please correct me if i am wrong.That with a bank account there, it is easy to get a Singaporean Passport and then to enter Thailand as a Singaporean citizen.An American guy,(who has a pottery business here told me was still being made to pay tax to uncle Sam and he hadn't even lived there for 5 years

Has anybody else heard of this situation,'cos its new's to me.

I can not help with recent experiences.

Last one is from 2012 (a mate).

But really first stop for trouble free account opening is Kasikorn Bank.

Two positive experiences with the branch in Royal Garden at beach road, 1st floor.

Nothing more than a passport needed, business card from hotel.

Savings account, ATM card AND internet access.

As others wrote: make clear that you want a savings account (no credit, no credit card just debit card).

About address: I NEVER got any postal mail from Kasikorn. They didn't even care to change address from hotel address to my current residential address.

Thai banks don't send account statements or the like for savings account.

The account book is all what is updated.

Also never got this from Bangkok Bank or SCB. Just some advertisement or party invitation.

Annoying: they also don't send a reminder when your ATM card expires.

So check regularly especially when going on a trip.

(for a new ATM card you need to have the account book at hand, passport is not sufficient)

l can confirm that this is true.

l opened a savings account with Kasikorn Bank in 2012 & when l go to Australia l just top it up from there.

The money is in my account within just a few hours & l could draw upon it immediately.

Never had any trouble.

Don't get any interest but l don't pay any fees.

Why is the US so harsh on their own citizens yet so lenient on guest workers?

l didn't know that Americans paid tax outside of the USA.

I drove grain trucks in the US in 2007 & as a foreigner we didn't pay any tax.

Most of the other drivers were either Aussies or South Africans.

l had a work permit that lasted 6 months & could have extended it if necessary.

to the bank.

I have been here 15 years and I am on a retirement visa with a bank account in Pattaya.I wanted open a new account in Minburi with both Farmers Bank and Bangkok Bank.They said that I would need a resident certificate or work permit now .My understanding is this is because The IRS in the US requires thinks from the banks about American citizens accounts reporting.and the banks now say no new accounts for Americans otherwise.For Europeans ? Don't know.

Did you also meet all the other requirement of the BKK bank ? If so how ?

The first few Residency Certificates I obtained were all while I was on 30 day stamps and were for opening bank accounts and buying motorcycles (and obtained from Jomtien Immigration). (Of note, I was renting an apartment at the time, not living in a hotel.)

Obviously I had my passport and proof of residence (kind of goes with the whole "Residency Certificate" thing). Never needed a reference letter of any kind and my first deposit was a whopping 1,000 baht.

As for bank paperwork - I actually am holding a statement from Bangkok Bank that just arrived in my mailbox yesterday. I think they only send them out twice a year anyways.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Do you believe a signed Bank Statement in English language from the home country will be accepted? And for the local address; utilities bill from 3bb? Or must be included a confirmation from the embassy?

Apart from that online banking is very helpful. Since the banks (at least SCB) added the phone verification i feel somehow safer. Top Up sim card, pay bills online, use a virtual web creditcard for online shopping and so on.

Edited by alocacoc

Why is the US so harsh on their own citizens yet so lenient on guest workers?

l didn't know that Americans paid tax outside of the USA.

I drove grain trucks in the US in 2007 & as a foreigner we didn't pay any tax.

Most of the other drivers were either Aussies or South Africans.

l had a work permit that lasted 6 months & could have extended it if necessary.

The USA tax collection agency is The Internal Revenue Service (IRS). All US citizens are liable for taxes anywhere. There are of course foreign income exclusions, deductions, tax free investments, and tons of stuff I won't go into. But there is no escaping the IRS rules and USA laws. That was never a big problem with other countries. The troubles started recently with this FACTA thing and the USA pressuring countries to have them report any financial dealings with USA citizens. Look at the Swiss bank accounts that used to be so secure and secretive. The USA went after them hard. Of course there were some illegal money there, criminals, drugs, tax evasion etc. But now the USA pressure makes paperwork and forms for the Thai banks or financial institutions. I don't blame the Thais for now wanting to deal with it. That doesn't help the average USA citizen abroad, but the USA doesn't care much about the average tourist.

to the bank.

I have been here 15 years and I am on a retirement visa with a bank account in Pattaya.I wanted open a new account in Minburi with both Farmers Bank and Bangkok Bank.They said that I would need a resident certificate or work permit now .My understanding is this is because The IRS in the US requires thinks from the banks about American citizens accounts reporting.and the banks now say no new accounts for Americans otherwise.For Europeans ? Don't know.

A long time ago when I got my BB account I believe I needed a residence certificate too, but that was an easy item to obtain. For me over 10 years ago. I am European. I have heard the conditions imposed on US citizens is deterring the local banks. Long arm of uncle Sam eh?

to the bank.

I don't think the Bangkok Bank managers are too interested in their website, just like the other Thai banks they will just make up their own rules.

I know the conditions vary from bank to bank and even branch to branch, but here in Pattaya BB seem very keen to accommodate foreigners.