Songkran Will Go On Despite Drought: Tourism Authority

rooster59

"..... it won't affect the drought situation"

How can wasting millions of gallons of water not affect the drought situation?

Even in UK, when the reservoirs start getting low you have hosepipe and car cleaning bans.

It's a pain in the yaris to boot.

Car cleaning and garden watering goes on everyday for months - Song Khran hits different relatively smal areas one at a time over a period of about 5 days max - now go and compare the two.

5 days? That would be luxury! You obviousy don't live in Pattaya.

Look at it sensibly, we're in a period of severe drought. Don't you think it would be a little bit sensible to cut down on wastage? Especially since the farmers have been given a warning from the govt. Or are you just one of the fanboys who thinks that allowing such blatant water wastage reflects badly on the present govt?

Your a voice crying out for common sense in a world of stupidity. In fact the planet is dying of stupidity no saving it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the amount of water spillage during the 3-day Songkhran period will not affect the nation's overall water supply

and maybe it will not much affect the areas that have water..........but.......it will sure be hard on the drought hit areas where

there is no water or not enough water, where the people, especially the farmers, have to do without or with little water....

to see the water festivities going on elsewhere in Thailand.

You know, unity and solidarity and all that.

Wow, good to see the fun police don't rule Thailand.

It is a bit rich all the foreigners on here complaining about the Thais using THEIR water. Instead of calling off songkran why don't all these farang go home until the drought is over if you really want to help the farmers. How many liters of water does the farang use every year? I know I use more than any Thai will use splashing water on songkran.

Life is too short not to have fun. I have a good feeling that nobody will be going thirsty, nobody will die of hunger, the drought will break and everything will be ok.

Ah, Songkran with memories of severe injuries when on a moto a farang threw a bucket of crushed ICE in my face, laughed and then ran away as I crashed and bled. All the girls ran back to their bars and I had no help to get to a clinic. This happened on Soi 7 in Jomtien 4 years ago. I left the moto lying and I hobbled up the street to a clinic across Thappraya Rd. I don't mind this tradition on the Thai New Year and the Thai are mostly respectful and fun loving but the introduction of this totally drunken free-for-all for farangs of a certain alleged English speaking heritage is totally disgusting. I now travel over Songkran to other countries. I now drive a car. And still the officials declare SangKran to be a three day event. Pattaya <deleted>?

"Hotels are businesses that consume large amounts of water, he said. If the drought lasts through the months of May and June, which is the tourism low season, the situation will be worse for us.

Earlier this week the military has ordered all relevant agencies to gear up for the drought season and set aside reserve water supply for the countrys rice farms and orchards. Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha visited farms in Uthai Thani on Friday to inspect drought preparations. "

But songkran won't affect the drought problem? Yeah...not buying that.

Why not be honest and admit that songkran water fighting will take place no matter what anyone says?

Try stopping that and the govt really will face trouble. You can delay elections all you want but don't dare mess with fun.

Quite right! And another thing too; the water throwing rarely starts on the day but usually at least a couple of days beforehand so it isn't just three days (it might be 3 days in BKK due to it being the metropolitan area) I bet the police, hospitals etc will be alert from Saturday with people travelling over the w/e because I don't think people will be doing that on Monday or Tuesday. Only this week on TV newsreported that hospitals in certain areas lack sufficient water, BKK to have water rationing and so on. I don't think the word 'stupid' describes the way I feel about this.

or the tourism it draws. Can you imagine the cancellations that would occur if they banned throwing water during songkran? Thailand would lose millions as well as all travel, and hotel industries.

Nonsense. You've ignored the vastly greater number of cancellations and amount of business lost because of Songkran. Those who travel here for Songkran are basically members (literally or in spirit) of what Suradit69 calls the "unwashed masses of baked-beans-on-toast bargain seeking tourists" who squat, belch and blabber about footie in council estates back in blighty.

Normal tourists who find to their chagrin that they've arrived during this mess have to find ways of escaping it themselves.

Many tourists, particularly throngs of Chinese visitors, went straight to Bali Hai Pier to catch ferries to peaceful Koh Larn while many westerners and families stayed at their busy hotels. Expats and long-term visitors simply left Thailand for neighboring countries.

--Water wars leave beach vendors high and dry

How unusual!

No. Let's have a just a few more:

I still have the scar above my eye to remind me that Songkran in Pattaya is not what it should be, and for people who think we are whiners because we rather stay indoors (or leave) participate and have fun, and I was once like you.

But after spending some time down at the emergency room because of some "innocent" ice cube water throwing, you will learn but I just hope not the hard way as I had to do (and I was lucky)

--MJCM, 2014-04-06 19:20:28:

...last year I found several jerks were throwing cold water with large chunks of ice in the water. I was hit in the mouth with a chunk of ice the size of a fist last year and went home bleeding and in a considerable amount of pain. The injury could have been worse.

--willyumiii, on 30 Mar 2013 - 09:45:

The ONLY stupidity I saw this year was from FARANGS. My girlfriend copped a direct hit in the eye and had to go to the hospital.

--TigerandDog, 2015-04-17 10:35:07

One of my friends saw the motorcyclist in front of his bike collide with a cement electricity pylon in what looked like a fatal collision after being pelted in the face with a bucket of water over Songkran a couple of years back. I nearly went under a truck in Hua Hin after getting a bucket of water and ice cubes in my face on my push bike once.

--Arkady, on 05 Apr 2013 - 00:38:

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

--Ian Curtis, on 29 Mar 2013 - 23:52:

How unusual!

I still have the scar above my eye to remind me that Songkran in Pattaya is not what it should be, and for people who think we are whiners because we rather stay indoors (or leave) participate and have fun, and I was once like you.

But after spending some time down at the emergency room because of some "innocent" ice cube water throwing, you will learn but I just hope not the hard way as I had to do (and I was lucky)

...last year I found several jerks were throwing cold water with large chunks of ice in the water. I was hit in the mouth with a chunk of ice the size of a fist last year and went home bleeding and in a considerable amount of pain. The injury could have been worse.

The ONLY stupidity I saw this year was from FARANGS. My girlfriend copped a direct hit in the eye and had to go to the hospital.

One of my friends saw the motorcyclist in front of his bike collide with a cement electricity pylon in what looked like a fatal collision after being pelted in the face with a bucket of water over Songkran a couple of years back. I nearly went under a truck in Hua Hin after getting a bucket of water and ice cubes in my face on my push bike once.

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

I made the mistake of walking near Soi 7 last year in Pattaya and was hit in my eye by a high powered water pistol from a farang who thought it was funny, I made to have a go at him but my girlfriend stopped me.

Songkran is officially from the 13th to the 15th a Friday but be rest assured it will continue over the week end.

I never see any one drink in the bars, they just stand there and throw water about, water bill for the owners sky high, drink takings zero.

How unusual!

Lot of farang complaints there.

So what do you want to do? Call off Thai new year for the Thais?

I think you will find New Years in most countries the hospitals would be busier. And during Xmas. Should we call off Xmas?

It is pretty easy for me to avoid getting wet if I choose, even if I am in middle of the road on the main day. I have a water proof car. The taxis in Thailand are also waterproof and very cheap also compared to many other countries. My house is also waterproof.

But I choose to get wet, because it is fun.

How unusual!

I made the mistake of walking near Soi 7 last year in Pattaya and was hit in my eye by a high powered water pistol from a farang who thought it was funny, I made to have a go at him but my girlfriend stopped me.

Songkran is officially from the 13th to the 15th a Friday but be rest assured it will continue over the week end.

I never see any one drink in the bars, they just stand there and throw water about, water bill for the owners sky high, drink takings zero.

You are just plain wrong. Pattaya always has its songkran later, for the last few years (at least) it has been on the 19th, and the official day this year is also the nineteenth. The reason given is so that the Thai hospitality workers can go home and celebrate with their families as is traditional for songkran and also have a fun day in Pattaya when they return. The naklua main day is before pattayas. Also good for people like me and most others who also get to have more than one songkran. Last year I had three, Hua hin, naklua and Pattaya. This year I will also have three, one in issan, then naklua and Pattaya.

Your claim about nobody drinking is also wrong. I think you will find soi 7 would sell more drinks during that day than an average Tuesday. I will be drinking on all my songkran days as I always do, with my friends who always do.

I never hear Thai people wanting to call it off. Only farangs.

How unusual!

You are just plain wrong. Pattaya always has its songkran later, for the last few years (at least) it has been on the 19th, and the official day this year is also the nineteenth. The reason given is so that the Thai hospitality workers can go home and celebrate with their families as is traditional for songkran and also have a fun day in Pattaya when they return. The naklua main day is before pattayas. Also good for people like me and most others who also get to have more than one songkran. Last year I had three, Hua hin, naklua and Pattaya. This year I will also have three, one in issan, then naklua and Pattaya.

Your claim about nobody drinking is also wrong. I think you will find soi 7 would sell more drinks during that day than an average Tuesday. I will be drinking on all my songkran days as I always do, with my friends who always do.

I never hear Thai people wanting to call it off. Only farangs.

Strangely enough in Pattaya last year it started on Sunday the 12th and finished on Sunday the 19th, dates this year, the same, Many businesses shops restaurants lose money as people stay indoors, I bet the restaurants/eating places, shopping malls, cinemas lose trade over the week as people are not prepared to sit in wet clothes.

http://www.songkran2015.com/songkran-2016-in-pattaya/

I have no objection to the Thai people celebrating etc, it's the ageing drunken farangs who 'go over the top' !

Note to Thai Visa Peanut Gallery:

You all sound like a bunch of whining dried out old women ... who simply can not stomach seeing a million people out having good clean fun.

It seems to be that membership to your club requires a two digit IQ, since you cry about a pail full of water like it was electricity .. a commodity you can waste over a very broad geography.

You see ... my dear Einsteins .. water .. is a very local commodity. A squirt gun full of water in BKK, does nothing to the Isaan situation ... etc ... etc .. etc....

I would guess one would be hard pressed to even measure the quantity of water depleted from a reservoir. And the Thai people LOVE to play with THEIR water! Oh, and yes .. the tourists do really turn up and spend some serious cash in certain areas ... a "win - win"

God, how I pity those who live in the Kingdom and can not embrace the culture .. and ENJOY it!

You see, I personally do NOT like Songkran because it interferes with my daily life.

I do not like water thrown on me, so for those days, simply stay around the condo, work out and swim ... etc.

I fly my wife back for a holiday with her family, and some water fight fun with old friends.

But what I do NOT do is WHINE about it!

Grumpy old men with nothing more to do than B***** and moan about every GD think that happens in a country they are GUESTS in!

AMAZING FARANG

Only someone who has never been to Thailand, or a complete idiot, would assume that songkran is limited to only 3 days, only Bangkok or only squirt guns.

or the tourism it draws. Can you imagine the cancellations that would occur if they banned throwing water during songkran? Thailand would lose millions as well as all travel, and hotel industries.

Nonsense. You've ignored the vastly greater number of cancellations and amount of business lost because of Songkran. Those who travel here for Songkran are basically members (literally or in spirit) of what Suradit69 calls the "unwashed masses of baked-beans-on-toast bargain seeking tourists" who squat, belch and blabber about footie in council estates back in blighty.

Normal tourists who find to their chagrin that they've arrived during this mess have to find ways of escaping it themselves.

Many tourists, particularly throngs of Chinese visitors, went straight to Bali Hai Pier to catch ferries to peaceful Koh Larn while many westerners and families stayed at their busy hotels. Expats and long-term visitors simply left Thailand for neighboring countries.

--Water wars leave beach vendors high and dry

Your nonsense because I was not just talking about Westerners and Chinese. More Thais travel to exp. Songkran during this holiday and spend more money on hotels and flights than any non-thais.

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

I now say to the farmers.

Plant your rice crops.

No, what we do now know is that the water used over a 3 day period will not affect the population's water supply. Exactly the opposite to a second rice planting.

It's doubtful that the farmers will be taking advice from a Thaivisa poster anyway.

3 Days???

Their are many in Pattaya who wish it was only 3 days.whistling.gif

And Songkran will happen "rain or shine" even if Thai's have to forgo showers for the next 6 weeks. giggle.gif

Surely a water shortage will drive away tourists too, especially Pattaya...I mean, who wants a bargirl's sloppy 15th's bah.gif

Hmm luckily for us in the village no water throwing or never seen any, in Phrachuap it starts t about 11am and is finished at 6pm just one day easily avoided, and last year totally avoided as it was pouring with rain all day!

Your nonsense because I was not just talking about Westerners and Chinese. More Thais travel to exp. Songkran during this holiday and spend more money on hotels and flights than any non-thais.

No. It's a long holiday for Thais so they travel to home villages primarily to visit relatives and friends there, where there will be incidentally a mild Songkran celebration of short duration. Most are traveling by bus and train, but of course by car--spending money on gas. smile.png And they could do this without any Songkran water-throwing at all, which means foreign tourists would have no problem. Hence centers of Songkran madness--Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai--empty out. What's left are people who've stayed for one reason or another and day trippers who come in from surrounding towns and villages for the day or perhaps stay with a relative or friend And they certainly wouldn't make up for serious Western and Chinese tourists who avoid coming during Songkran or have to leave or stay in their rooms when they could be out spending.

Big spending middle-class Thais with any real economic impact don't drive in their nice new cars or fly in and and rent 5-star rooms to, of all things, experience being iced, soaked, and powdered by low class idiots. The idea is so laughable as to indicate you have no idea what's really going on.

At the end of the day it is only water.

No. You've been told in another thread, and told in a post above, about the ice and powder too. And the injuries. It's been noted that Pattaya's Songkran is much longer than one day. In fact it starts the afternoon on the 11th in the bar areas. But you ignore all these facts.

Previously you've had posts deleted for trolling on this very subject. I foresee more deletions coming, perhaps soon.

Well, I think our members can now make a good assessment of your lack of credibility on the subject and can see that you're trolling.

And you only get wet if you go outside.

Duh. But in Pattaya it's not so easy to stay inside for 9 days. One day is preparation, so that's TEN DAYS. YES, leaving is the other option, but that's also inconvenience and expense.

How do these people who can't cope handle the wet season?

Wet season: no ICE. POWDER. PVC PIPES. ATTEMPTS TO CRASH CARS AND BIKES. ATTACKS ON BAHT BUSES (which residents and a lot of tourists have to ride).

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

I now say to the farmers.

Plant your rice crops.

No, what we do now know is that the water used over a 3 day period will not affect the population's water supply. Exactly the opposite to a second rice planting.

It's doubtful that the farmers will be taking advice from a Thaivisa poster anyway.

Go ahead guy and believe the bs from TAT.

What country in the world other than Thailand would allow the waste of water when they are constantly preaching of drought. Worst in 20 years I might add.

Well,...TIT, this is Thailand. ....there thinking process don't reaches further than 24 hours. they get on there high horses and declare this and that, and the next day they say they didn't say that, and declare something ells....

better get used to it.....

You all sound like a bunch of whining dried out old women ... who simply can not stomach seeing a million people out having good clean fun.

It seems to be that membership to your club requires a two digit IQ, since you cry about a pail full of water like it was electricity .. a commodity you can waste over a very broad geography.

You see ... my dear Einsteins .. water .. is a very local commodity. A squirt gun full of water in BKK, does nothing to the Isaan situation ... etc ... etc .. etc....

I would guess one would be hard pressed to even measure the quantity of water depleted from a reservoir. And the Thai people LOVE to play with THEIR water! Oh, and yes .. the tourists do really turn up and spend some serious cash in certain areas ... a "win - win"

God, how I pity those who live in the Kingdom and can not embrace the culture .. and ENJOY it!

You see, I personally do NOT like Songkran because it interferes with my daily life.

I do not like water thrown on me, so for those days, simply stay around the condo, work out and swim ... etc.

I fly my wife back for a holiday with her family, and some water fight fun with old friends.

Grumpy old men with nothing more to do than B***** and moan about every GD think that happens in a country they are GUESTS in!

AMAZING FARANG

Only someone who has never been to Thailand, or a complete idiot, would assume that songkran is limited to only 3 days, only Bangkok or only squirt guns.

Almost 6 happy years in Bangkok. Total time out of the Kingdom .. about 3 weeks.

In short .. I live here.

You are an excellent example of my two digit IQ theory. Did you honestly believe I think that only a few squirt-guns are employed?

Take your laxatives grandpa and chill out.

I honestly have no idea why you and the peanut Gallery are so upset about what Thai Taxpayers do with THEIR water!

AMAZING FARANG

Almost 6 happy years in Bangkok. Total time out of the Kingdom .. about 3 weeks.

In short .. I live here.

You are an excellent example of my two digit IQ theory. Did you honestly believe I think that only a few squirt-guns are employed?

Take your laxatives grandpa and chill out.

I honestly have no idea why you and the peanut Gallery are so upset about what Thai Taxpayers do with THEIR water!

I also pay tax, so it is also MY water.

Archived