Cooking cheap and healthy In Thiland

juice777

Hi everone

I am trying to eat healthy and cheap at the moment.I was wondering if anyone has any cheap and healthy meal ideals what you can cook in Thailand easy. I am not talking about Thai food as i can get this outside easy.These are some of the meals I have they are all cheap and easy to cook and I think quite healthy.

2 soft boiled egg sandwiches with wholemeal bread about 22THB

2 chicken fillet sandwiches with wholemeal bread and mayo about 30THB

oats and cinnamon and a banana about 20THB

brown rice and Turmeric and spicy sardines about 22THB

chicken and vegetable casserole about 50THB

Jamaican style rice and peas with mince chicken (i use Thai green bean instead of kyindy beans ) about 50THB

baked potato with Tuna and sweetcorn and mayo about 50THB

as you can see i am not a very good cook any ideals anyone

Edited by juice777

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like Mayo features in lots of your recipes!

Surely its not very healthy?

Fish is reasonably priced and with some veggies is super healthy :)

Only in 2 of them and just a tiny bit, but I have been thinking that myself

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think you ask a fair question. I find I can eat quite well with the same chicken breasts grilled, plus a 60 baht bag of salad from the supermarket salad bar. With the addition of a couple of boiled eggs (cooked myself - thus saving on weight at the salad bar:)), that gives me 3 reasonable and healthy meals for a cost of about 40 baht each. BTW, I add nuts (walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and chia), which ups the cost. I make my own salad dressing.

I think you ask a fair question. I find I can eat quite well with the same chicken breasts grilled, plus a 60 baht bag of salad from the supermarket salad bar. With the addition of a couple of boiled eggs (cooked myself - thus saving on weight at the salad bar:)), that gives me 3 reasonable and healthy meals for a cost of about 40 baht each. BTW, I add nuts (walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and chia), which ups the cost. I make my own salad dressing.

Yes I was thinking of replacing the bread with salad I think I will do that, but I don't really like salad I suppose I will have to find a good dressing

What do you make yours out of?

2 chicken fillets on wholemeal with mayo for 30b.

Are you sure they are chicken fillets ?

attachicon.gif20160227_203622.jpg I get 4 sandwichs out of that

While probably marginally "healthier" than pork and other red meats, have you thought about the chemicals, growth hormones, antibiotics and other shit that goes into producing these chicken fillets? Thai industrial farming techniques leave a lot to be desired, and if you want to eat "healthy", it may be a good idea you do a bit of research first on the producer to plate food chain of intensively reared foodstuffs, before feeling too complacent. Having said this, granted in Thailand today, save growing your own veg and raising your own livestock, it is very tricky to eat healthily on a low budget. So compromises have to be made, and sometimes "ignorance is bliss" in terms of knowing what's really on your plate. wink.png

While probably marginally "healthier" than pork and other red meats, have you thought about the chemicals, growth hormones, antibiotics and other shit that goes into producing these chicken fillets? Thai industrial farming techniques leave a lot to be desired, and if you want to eat "healthy", it may be a good idea you do a bit of research first on the producer to plate food chain of intensively reared foodstuffs, before feeling too complacent. Having said this, granted in Thailand today, save growing your own veg and raising your own livestock, it is very tricky to eat healthily on a low budget. So compromises have to be made, and sometimes "ignorance is bliss" in terms of knowing what's really on your plate. wink.png
Yes I have wonderd about this, but there is not much I can do about it

And I have read the UK has the same problem but I don't know if Thailand is worst or better

I do worry about what shit is in the bread, in the UK I used to bake my own in a bread maker

But the way is see it is chicken fillet and wholemeal bread with unknown shit in it is better then sausages and white bread and unknown shit in it

If you want to cook cheap, cook Thai.

If you want to cook healthy, maybe at least try a few vegetables in your recipes. Most of your dishes sound like a vitamin-free zone.

There is no point cooking Thai because I can get it outside cheaper and better then I can do it

I do eat a fair bit of fruit most days I get my 5 a day , I think I will replace bread with salad for now on

There is vit c in

Vegetable and chicken casserole

The green beans in the Jamaican style rice and peas

Banana in the oats

Tuna and sweetcorn and baked potato

I think I will add some green beans to the rice and sardines for now on

Hi, I feel exactly the same - things that would be cheap and healthy back home just aren't in Thailand.

My tip would be to buy vegetables and salad in the reduced section on your nearest supermarket. I live right next to a Tesco and the savings can be up to 50%.
If you can go vegetarian (it's not for everyone) that will really slash your costs and it is healthier for you long term.
I think your ideas are great but you need more vegetables and less mayo! Oatmeal with fruit is great for breakfast, try an egg salad for lunch instead of an egg sandwich, and you could try just having meat with your evening meal instead of going vegetarian.

Buying a 3 tray steamer at central is the best investment you can make. I steam chicken, fish, eggs, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tons of vegetables. No added oil. I use mine everyday. I only eat Thai food once a day now because it really isn't that healthy.....it's fantastic taste wise..... But not super good for you.

Edited by inbangkok

Yes I was thinking of replacing the bread with salad I think I will do that, but I don't really like salad I suppose I will have to find a good dressing

What do you make yours out of?

The basic salad dressing is essentially olive oil, vinegar (balsamic I like), lemon juice, bit of pepper (and salt, if you use it). Plenty of variations on the web to have fun with. Cheaper to make your own.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of salads, but you do what you have to do. Make sure you get a good mix of veg (pumpkin, green beans, peas and so on are good things to add), avoid too much iceberg lettuce type stuff (not real nutritional) and use instead things like kale or watercress or spinach - I chop it all up quite small. Flavour intensify it with various things like blue vein cheese or strawberries or pineapple or chunky salami and so on.

That's a good ideal I will have a look

This is the one I use.... I think is was just over 3000 baht..... It's great

http://www.tefal.co.th/All+Products/Kitchen+appliance/Water+cooking/Products/หม้อนึ่งไฟฟ้า+(VC4003)/หม้อนึ่งไฟฟ้า+(VC4003).htm

Edited by inbangkok

Start with the ingredients when it comes to cost. Brown rice, tinned sardines, peanuts, "weird" meat and simple greens seem to be the things that provide the most in the way of healthful calories for the careful consumer's baht. If you chuck a 10 baht tin of sardines into rice, water, spices, tomato puree and shredded veg, and cook by absorption, then the sardines provide the stock and the animal protein for the whole thing. I do the same thing with liver. It's simplest to chuck it in without handling it and shred it with a sharp knife and fork when it's cooked - throw back and mix. I use white rice for absorption one pot cooking, though. Brown's a whole new challenge.

Edited by Craig krup

I live right next to a Tesco and the savings can be up to 50%.

At 5-5:30 it seems there are often 6-10 baht bags of curry (usually 25-30), so you walk around the corner and buy a 10 baht bag of hot rice, and throw "a" into "b". A massive meal for 16 baht and no cooking.

If you want to cook healthy, maybe at least try a few vegetables in your recipes. Most of your dishes sound like a vitamin-free zone.

There is no point cooking Thai because I can get it outside cheaper and better then I can do it

I do eat a fair bit of fruit most days I get my 5 a day , I think I will replace bread with salad for now on

There is vit c in

Banana in the oats

Most fruits have either about the same amount of sugars or more sugar compared to the same amount of Coca cola (per 100 gram). Sure, more vitamins than coke (none) but still hardly a "healthy" thing to eat 5 times a day.

Most fruits have either about the same amount of sugars or more sugar compared to the same amount of Coca cola (per 100 gram). Sure, more vitamins than coke (none) but still hardly a "healthy" thing to eat 5 times a day.

The British "five a day" campaign is (apparently) known to be <deleted>, but they think if they can get people to eat five bits of fruit they can work in the idea that veg would be a good idea. I think the Aussies say eight a day, with no more than three fruit. For 5-10 baht the markets sell big bunches of what in the west would be called spring greens, and that washed, ripped and chucked into the cooking rice is a riot of useful veggies. A big bunch is about five meals worth.

One comment on saving money is don't shop at Foodmart.
I used to do some shopping in the market, there isn't a proper supermarket near me

But last week I saw a tied up pet squirrel climbing all over the watermelons

So haven't been back since but probably will go back when I start buying more veg

One comment on saving money is don't shop at Foodmart.
I used to do some shopping in the market, there isn't a proper supermarket near me

But last week I saw a tied up pet squirrel climbing all over the watermelons

So haven't been back since but probably will go back when I start buying more veg

Lol. Best not to think about food hygiene in Thailand. Can drive you crazy very quickly.

There is vit c in

Banana in the oats

It's not the same as refined white sugar though. I tend to agree that eating 5 full servings of fruit could be problematic. However, it is definitely better than eating the equivalent amount of sugar in drinks or deserts. If for no other reason, you get the benefits of the fruit along with the naturally occurring sugar.

I used to eat about 5 whole servings a day. I have altered my diet a bit though and now I am between 1 and 3 servings depending on what I am doing at the gym that day.

Edited by inbangkok