Cooking cheap and healthy In Thiland

juice777

Pasta dishes are cheap to make and not too deadly. Pasta tuna and boiled potato is not too bad. Carrot and coriander soup is very cheap to make and makes a nice healthy meal. Paella is a cheap alternative to Thai rice dishes. Mashed potato and pumpkin with a bit of salad is also pretty toothsome.

Mashed potatoes and pumpkin, sounds a nice mix hadn't thought of that one.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For healthy eating I usually go for Chicken Breast and Veggies. Steam cook the veggies, mix with a bit of low-sodium seasoning. Boil the chicken, chop it up mix it together. A sort of Asian/thai/Chinese/whatever dish, but good on protein and vegetable content.

For a bit of American cuisine, I often go with a slice of whole wheat bread and a bit of peanut butter spread across it (source of protein, omega, wheat, fibre). As well as going with whole grain cereal (imported from Germany or the UK) with Meiji Milk 0%

I buy my Chicken either from Food Land or HomeFresh. I do NOT buy it from Big C which seems to be very bad and yucky. I once microwaved a bit of chicken left overs and it *exploded* (due to high water content). Not had that problem with FoodLand/HomeFresh.

If you are worried about pesticides/etc, you could buy canned/frozen vegetables that are imported. Might be a bit safer.

Eating chicken,, barring that its easier to digest than red meat is, imo no way healthy. Chickens when i was a kid had harsh sharp bones now they're almost as soft, exaggeration, as the meat, in general they stuff them so full of drugs to promote growth the.bones don't have time to develop,, why would they care, bones don't give any cash return. Look into chicken farming the way they separate and kill all male chicks is truly Shocking, they send them whole and alive down a shute into a huge

Grinder and probably turn them into god knows what.

Edited by rijit

While I agree coconut oil is tasty, not sure it is healthy. It's a saturated fat ( lauric acid, C12 ). Perhaps you could cite a study of some kind as to the health benefits.

It certainly is healthy, but not cheap.

My sister in law is quite particular about what she eats and had us bring back 5 litres of coconut oil from Samui as it was about half the price there.

Reiterating the statement that coconut oil is healthy based on your sister's preferences isn't really answering my question, unless she is some kind of food expert with formal qualifications.

Not a question of preference, medical advice which didn't come cheap.

Every medical opinion is open to argument so it really is a question of what you want to believe.

Funny how old wives tales are coming back into fashion, makes you wonder how they became an old wives tale in the first place, certainly not by medical opinion.

Nice putdown. However, somewhat dishonest to selectively quote my previous post.

good information about coconut oil : the coconut oil bible available on Amazon.com.

For healthy eating I usually go for Chicken Breast and Veggies. Steam cook the veggies, mix with a bit of low-sodium seasoning. Boil the chicken, chop it up mix it together. A sort of Asian/thai/Chinese/whatever dish, but good on protein and vegetable content.

For a bit of American cuisine, I often go with a slice of whole wheat bread and a bit of peanut butter spread across it (source of protein, omega, wheat, fibre). As well as going with whole grain cereal (imported from Germany or the UK) with Meiji Milk 0%

I buy my Chicken either from Food Land or HomeFresh. I do NOT buy it from Big C which seems to be very bad and yucky. I once microwaved a bit of chicken left overs and it *exploded* (due to high water content). Not had that problem with FoodLand/HomeFresh.

If you are worried about pesticides/etc, you could buy canned/frozen vegetables that are imported. Might be a bit safer.

Eating chicken,, barring that its easier to digest than red meat is, imo no way healthy. Chickens when i was a kid had harsh sharp bones now they're almost as soft, exaggeration, as the meat, in general they stuff them so full of drugs to promote growth the.bones don't have time to develop,, why would they care, bones don't give any cash return. Look into chicken farming the way they separate and kill all male chicks is truly Shocking, they send them whole and alive down a shute into a huge

"they send them whole and alive down a shute into a huge Grinder and probably turn them into god knows what".

If past practices are anything to go by, they are ground up and mixed with meal and fed back to the chickens!!!

"they send them whole and alive down a shute into a huge Grinder and probably turn them into god knows what".

If past practices are anything to go by, they are ground up and mixed with meal and fed back to the chickens!!!

Not exactly, pet food most likely.

Since Mad cow disease and bird flu the feeding with residue from the same species (mammals) not allowed anymore.

Not exactly, pet food most likely.

Since Mad cow disease and bird flu the feeding with residue from the same species (mammals) not allowed anymore.

Thought that was the case but then who knows what happens in poor and unregulated countries?

Seems as if it is fed to cattle and farmed fish along with the excrement mixed in..........

Buying a 3 tray steamer at central is the best investment you can make. I steam chicken, fish, eggs, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tons of vegetables. No added oil. I use mine everyday. I only eat Thai food once a day now because it really isn't that healthy.....it's fantastic taste wise..... But not super good for you.

Can you recommend any brand , thanks.

Buying a 3 tray steamer at central is the best investment you can make. I steam chicken, fish, eggs, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tons of vegetables. No added oil. I use mine everyday. I only eat Thai food once a day now because it really isn't that healthy.....it's fantastic taste wise..... But not super good for you.

I have a TEFAl brand one and it's great. Roughly 3,000 baht and I use it every day. Can get it as a Central department store.

I have a TEFAl brand one and it's great. Roughly 3,000 baht and I use it every day. Can get it as a Central department store.

From Tefal I only find digital rice cooker sold at Central , is it the same thing ? :

http://www.central.co.th/en/

From Tefal I only find digital rice cooker sold at Central , is it the same thing ? :

http://www.central.co.th/en/

Sorry, but I can't open the link. This is the one from the Amazon site. But they have the same one at Central.....if not on the site, maybe an in-store item only?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Vitamin-VC400317-Steamer-Green/dp/B0000AI3Z5

no he means an air fryer made by philips or a halogen health fryer made by brevil. i have the latter, it very good, can cook chips from frozen without oil - raw potatoes need a little oil, but not much, about a table spoon of olive oil is what i use for one portion of chips

Really ? these hallogen thing are good ? I checked and they all seem to be ugly transparent, with Thai fan style ugly colors, do you know where I could find one with style ? And thye seem complicated to clean ? Thank you.

no he means an air fryer made by philips or a halogen health fryer made by brevil. i have the latter, it very good, can cook chips from frozen without oil - raw potatoes need a little oil, but not much, about a table spoon of olive oil is what i use for one portion of chips

Thank you, but with US being the country using most pesticide of the world, I am not sure from where we should import anything...

Really ? these hallogen thing are good ? I checked and they all seem to be ugly transparent, with Thai fan style ugly colors, do you know where I could find one with style ? And thye seem complicated to clean ? Thank you.

i brought mine in my suitcase from the uk, yes its bright green but i am not really bothered about the colour, very easy to clean the pan

I have had to come to accept that it is pretty nigh impossible to eat healthily here to the standard I would in France or the UK.

It is difficult to think of one ingredient of which one would trust the culture.

Leaf vegetables and salads are sprayed to death. Why do you think they are covered in a white mist?!

Thai Beef is for the most part tasteless and inedible.

I suspect the pigs and chickens are antibiotics on legs. I buy Gai Baan but my! they sure are tough

The tomatoes are sprayed with Lindane

White rice is of little nutritional value, but at least the husks that have been bombarded with pesticides have been removed.

Have no idea what is done to Mangoes, Papaya, Watermelons (multiple pesticides many of which are banned in the US! but not in LOS), Pineapples (Ethylene and Chlorine used here); but if I knew all I doubt I would feel happy!

So I use olive oil, but never heat it. Canola oil is lethal it is anyway a pesticide!)

We grow our own salad leaves, herbs, tomatoes : amazing what you can grow in pots and a very small patch!

We make a lot of soups, both western and Thai. A good blender is a good idea. Buy the ingredients for Chinese soups from Makro. Hot and Sour Soup easy to make. We make avgolemono, garlic soup (at least 20 corms of garlic), french onion, celery, pumpkin. Add yogurt or cream(ridiculously expensive) +unsalted Oz butter. Also make cucumber soup and gazpacho.

The bread in Big C is probably the best we can find. They have soda breads, olive bread and "french village bread" ha ha! Difficult where we are to find any decent flour tough we do make pitta bread and pizza bases.

Pasta and pulses. Eat plenty of pasta. Kidney beans, chick peas, mung beans all cheap and available. So can make chili co(or senza!) carne, Dal. Indian vegetarian food cheap and easy to make. Stock your cupboard with cardamon, cloves, cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, dried chili etc in packets from Makro or the market.

Almost anything can be cheered up with coconut milk..

Ratatouille cheap to make

I do eat bean and other sprouts, though known to be susceptible to listeria and Tofu/Bean Curd though almost certainly all GM.. I think on balance I would prefer GM to the pesticides!!

Never seen a line caught fish. Wild not farmed sea food really the only option. Here we do have net caught river fish from the Mekhong. Avoid all farmed fish and prawns.; particularly Vietnamese fish known to be lethal and especially that thing that is known in the UK as "River Cobbler" ie Basa Fish or Pangasius.

Australian beef not that expensive. Makro and the markets often have Quail, Partridges and Boar.

Canned tomatoes and paste are a good standby.

Inspiration:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/food-recipe-infographics/

I agree witth you except that you should stop dreaming that food is healthier anywhere else in the world.

In Europe or USA all vegetables are sprayed to death and there nowhere in the world where animals eat more grass than antibiotics. Anyway they only eat GMO.

France also is one of the biggest chemical user in the world. US are even using chemicals forbidden in Europe (replaced by worst actually!)

Sorry if I break your dream but anybody who think that he can eat healthy without growing and raising his own veg and animals is a dreamer (I read that you grow some but not all).

I am interested by your soups recipe, it seems to be very healthy, thank you <3

I have had to come to accept that it is pretty nigh impossible to eat healthily here to the standard I would in France or the UK.

It is difficult to think of one ingredient of which one would trust the culture.

Leaf vegetables and salads are sprayed to death. Why do you think they are covered in a white mist?!

Thai Beef is for the most part tasteless and inedible.

I suspect the pigs and chickens are antibiotics on legs. I buy Gai Baan but my! they sure are tough

The tomatoes are sprayed with Lindane

White rice is of little nutritional value, but at least the husks that have been bombarded with pesticides have been removed.

Have no idea what is done to Mangoes, Papaya, Watermelons (multiple pesticides many of which are banned in the US! but not in LOS), Pineapples (Ethylene and Chlorine used here); but if I knew all I doubt I would feel happy!

So I use olive oil, but never heat it. Canola oil is lethal it is anyway a pesticide!)

We grow our own salad leaves, herbs, tomatoes : amazing what you can grow in pots and a very small patch!

We make a lot of soups, both western and Thai. A good blender is a good idea. Buy the ingredients for Chinese soups from Makro. Hot and Sour Soup easy to make. We make avgolemono, garlic soup (at least 20 corms of garlic), french onion, celery, pumpkin. Add yogurt or cream(ridiculously expensive) +unsalted Oz butter. Also make cucumber soup and gazpacho.

The bread in Big C is probably the best we can find. They have soda breads, olive bread and "french village bread" ha ha! Difficult where we are to find any decent flour tough we do make pitta bread and pizza bases.

Pasta and pulses. Eat plenty of pasta. Kidney beans, chick peas, mung beans all cheap and available. So can make chili co(or senza!) carne, Dal. Indian vegetarian food cheap and easy to make. Stock your cupboard with cardamon, cloves, cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, dried chili etc in packets from Makro or the market.

Almost anything can be cheered up with coconut milk..

Ratatouille cheap to make

I do eat bean and other sprouts, though known to be susceptible to listeria and Tofu/Bean Curd though almost certainly all GM.. I think on balance I would prefer GM to the pesticides!!

Never seen a line caught fish. Wild not farmed sea food really the only option. Here we do have net caught river fish from the Mekhong. Avoid all farmed fish and prawns.; particularly Vietnamese fish known to be lethal and especially that thing that is known in the UK as "River Cobbler" ie Basa Fish or Pangasius.

Australian beef not that expensive. Makro and the markets often have Quail, Partridges and Boar.

Canned tomatoes and paste are a good standby.

Inspiration:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/food-recipe-infographics/

Edited by buythisdashcam