Cooking cheap and healthy In Thiland

juice777

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Organic is fine, unless you're a roaring pedant.

Or a chemist who knows what the term actually means. Don't recall asking for your opinion or insults.

Edited by bazza40

This is a forum - nobody needs to be asked before giving their opinion.

You know one meaning of the word. The OED lists another as "(Of food or farming methods) produced or involving production without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or other artificial chemicals:

organic farming, organic meat".

Real organic do not exist in Thailand. Farmers are warned before any check of their farm.

And do you believe that they would let some revenue die instead of spraying at least 1 time with the magic liquid ? Yes people are famous to have a strong moral here ! :-)

Yes, whatever we will buy you will be cheated and poisoned. I feel funny that some people still believe advertising and marketing that they see.

are you sure that it's the bread sold in supermarkets that will kill us ?

Of course not !

It's the vegetables full of pesticides that are forbidden in EU but allowed in Thailand and USA
+ the medicine fed animals ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Really, someone think being able to eat anything healthy without growing it ? you are dreaming your life !

As the OP wrote at the beginning about making sandwiches, I recommend to make your own bread.
You know what's inside and you can vary. It's a great hobby!
If you look on the internet for recipes I guess you can make bread until one pass away and never eat the same bread twice!

No one said that the ingredients in industrial bread will kill or poison you.
But some if not all are not necessary and if you bake by yourself you're in control.

Just one example the toast bread from Farmhouse. It's with preservative but that is not needed anymore nowadays under normal storage conditions.

In my opinion it's just to prevent mold under unfavourable storage which can happen here of course...

About the vegetable, I agree partly with you that it is a big problem with pesticide regulations worldwide.
Substances that have been independently proven to be toxic and cause cancer and therefore prohibited in the EU are still allowed here.

It's more than ever up to the customer to choose organic vegetables and try to put influence on the government and chemical industry.

Real organic do not exist in Thailand. Farmers are warned before any check of their farm.

And do you believe that they would let some revenue die instead of spraying at least 1 time with the magic liquid ? Yes people are famous to have a strong moral here ! :-)

Yes, whatever we will buy you will be cheated and poisoned. I feel funny that some people still believe advertising and marketing that they see.

Of course not !

It's the vegetables full of pesticides that are forbidden in EU but allowed in Thailand and USA

Really, someone think being able to eat anything healthy without growing it ? you are dreaming your life !

As the OP wrote at the beginning about making sandwiches, I recommend to make your own bread.

If you look on the internet for recipes I guess you can make bread until one pass away and never eat the same bread twice!

But some if not all are not necessary and if you bake by yourself you're in control.

Just one example the toast bread from Farmhouse. It's with preservative but that is not needed anymore nowadays under normal storage conditions.

In my opinion it's just to prevent mold under unfavourable storage which can happen here of course...

About the vegetable, I agree partly with you that it is a big problem with pesticide regulations worldwide.

Substances that have been independently proven to be toxic and cause cancer and therefore prohibited in the EU are still allowed here.

It's more than ever up to the customer to choose organic vegetables and try to put influence on the government and chemical industry.

Google Adams Organic or Royal Project

Here's a cheap traditional Thai dish I came across recently that I want to try:

Stir-fried Pumpkin with Egg: http://8milesfromhome.com/post/26475628781/fuk-tong-pad-khai-stir-fried-pumpkin-with-egg

Sometimes they put a little pork mince in it too.

Variations of it include shrimp:

I might try that one that's one of My favorite Thai dishes but I don't see it all the time

And I bet its well cheap to, not sure how much the pumpkin is but the rest of the ingredients Come to less then 10THb

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by juice777

This is a forum - nobody needs to be asked before giving their opinion.

You know one meaning of the word. The OED lists another as "(Of food or farming methods) produced or involving production without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or other artificial chemicals:

organic farming, organic meat".

Opinion is one thing, being insulting is another. I've noticed a fair proportion of your posts contain putdowns. My opinion is if you said some of the things you say on Thai Visa face-to-face, you'd be spending a fair proportion of your time in a hospital ward. Best to just ignore you.

Healthy in Thailand you are dreaming, every single vegetable or meat is poisoned in this country.

Local beef is no better than the leather soles on my shoes so I only eat imported beef. Is it poisoned before or after it arrives in Thailand ?

Ignorance must be bliss. I have eaten some Thai beef that matches the standards of just about all others I have tried. I agree a lot of Thai beef isn't great, I bet the butchers love you only eating imported stuff.

Not ignorance at all. I love a nice chunk of steak cooked medium rare on the BBQ, I eat this atleast 3 nights a week. I have yet to find a decent Thai steak for such a meal.

Then I would say you aren't looking in the right place. There are good butchers out there who sell locally raised beef that has not only been raised correctly but also hung for the requisite amount of time once slaughtered. There is even a company on this web site that offers this kind/quality of meat.

Edited to add

It has taken me the best part of 10 years to sort out a supplier of quality local beef but I have managed.

Edited by RabC

Rather than spend 10 years looking for the meat you talk of RabC I have better things to do with my time and lets face it, imported beef really is not expensive.

I will say though I do use Thai beef.... for stews, pasta dishes and dog food.... some times pork for the dogs just to give them some variety.

Of course not !

There was a report which was quoted on Thai Visa a couple of years ago with regards to independent testing done on vegetables both in the supermarkets and from farmers markets, and even those labelled "organic".

The outcome was quite astonishing with the farmers markets, supposedly providing fresh and good quality vegetables, being absolutely laden with pesticides, herbicides and whatever and totally unhealthy by all accounts.

Stuff sold in the supermarket was a little better, although some of those labelled "organic" and priced accordingly were not, but were simply wrapped that way and contained a fair smattering of pesticides and herbicides.

Buyer beware, especially in Thailand.

Eat cheap and healthy? Stop eating sugar. stop eating meat, stick to fish,, i would.say seafood but a growing % percentage ain't. keep a.check on amount of spices u use.buy your fruit and.Veg from the local market as opposed supermarkets. And 100% stick to brown rice, its really not expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course not !

There was a report which was quoted on Thai Visa a couple of years ago with regards to independent testing done on vegetables both in the supermarkets and from farmers markets, and even those labelled "organic".

The outcome was quite astonishing with the farmers markets, supposedly providing fresh and good quality vegetables, being absolutely laden with pesticides, herbicides and whatever and totally unhealthy by all accounts.

Stuff sold in the supermarket was a little better, although some of those labelled "organic" and priced accordingly were not, but were simply wrapped that way and contained a fair smattering of pesticides and herbicides.

I worry about the bread, I read in a news paper In the UK that some of the bread we eat there has more salt in a slice then a bag of crisps (chips), if that is true for the UK who knows what they put in it here

I used to bake my own wholemeal bread with honey instead of sugar, and Sesame Oil Instead of butter, lovely it was

And what I noticed was after about 2 days it would be stale just shows you how much shit they put in bread now days, how did we get to the point where they think it is acceptable to poison food staples?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/09September/Pages/cash-survey-salt-in-bread.aspx

Edited by juice777

I worry about the bread, I read in a news paper In the UK that some of the bread we eat there has more salt in a slice then a bag of crisps (chips), if that is true for the UK who knows what they put in it here

Sugar, mostly. Thai bread is more like cake much of the time.

Sugar, mostly. Thai bread is more like cake much of the time.

Yes that is true

Healthy in Thailand you are dreaming, every single vegetable or meat is poisoned in this country.

Local beef is no better than the leather soles on my shoes so I only eat imported beef. Is it poisoned before or after it arrives in Thailand ?

Ignorance must be bliss. I have eaten some Thai beef that matches the standards of just about all others I have tried. I agree a lot of Thai beef isn't great, I bet the butchers love you only eating imported stuff.

Not ignorance at all. I love a nice chunk of steak cooked medium rare on the BBQ, I eat this atleast 3 nights a week. I have yet to find a decent Thai steak for such a meal.

I have never been able to buy Thai beef that could be cooked as steak but my brother in law does. He gets steaks that are on par with UK pub steaks. I have mine as a blue steak and that does need the meat to be tender.

Don't worry I know all the organics farms of this country but still I think that know what I am talking about...

I know that we all need to die for a reason, but being killed by Monsanto or Dow is really the worst thing...

Obviously not.

I made internships at the Royal Project and they are testing random samples of the incoming products on pesticides with a quick test.

The test is quantitative and reacts on organophosphates and others.

If it's positive your products are rejected and you can't deliver for a certain period of time (I forgot the exact number)

If this happens 3x you're out of business.

They said it never happened because the farmers rely on selling their products as well as they pay a higher price.

Of course not !

I used to bake my own wholemeal bread with honey instead of sugar, and Sesame Oil Instead of butter, lovely it was

And what I noticed was after about 2 days it would be stale just shows you how much shit they put in bread now days, how did we get to the point where they think it is acceptable to poison food staples?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/09September/Pages/cash-survey-salt-in-bread.aspx

Once I watched a documentary about industrial made bread.

Newest trend is the use of enzymes at some bakery companies because they don't need to be labeled.

They compared toast bread with and without enzymes under 4 weeks proper storage. The one's with enzymes was still eatable.

Can you imagine, 4 weeks...???

But also they found out that, besides the enzymes some might use, the industrial bread is sometimes better and "cleaner" than from your local bakery.

The reason is, the factory produces maybe just 1 variety and in huge amounts so they can use a traditional process.

Where the small bakery often uses pre-mixed bread flour mixtures with all the additives to have a great variety available.

Of course not !

Yes I know about this article, it was in the Bangkok Post.

I just hope things changed since that time...

As a kid in the summer hols I worked on farms and tbh afterwards i never trusted.UK farmers att they took ANY way to save manual labour. Even foot and mouth was ultumatly about economics . Had one family frend who had a bad Reaction to farmers Ariel spray, spent his whole life bad ridden . UK farmers. Have found out the hard way and re adjusted. Thai farmers ain't had that 'warning ' mad cow,, ect ect brought. Organic?? Really, i dont believe non UK suppliers.let alone Asian, ok little hill farmer, ' is your Vegs organic ? Answer yes good price answer no bad price, what do you think a Thai farmers gonna say?

And.i trust fish farmers.even less and that goes for UK as well.

Try Saba fish (makerel).... You can fillet them if you don't want to navigate the bones but I find it is easier simply to grill or BBQ and the flesh peels away anyway.

For anyone with a pressure cooker, cooking mackerel on the high setting for thirty minutes with stock, garlic, onion and tomato is the way forward. The pressure turns the bones to canned fish consistency, and it forces the juices out into the stock. The fish shrink to about 2/3rds of normal size, and acquire the texture of tuna. You can just eat the bones the way you would eat canned salmon. By far and away the easiest solution to bony fish. Sensational with spuds.

Who has any doubt about this is a dreamer.

It's incredible how people are just waiting to be killed by all the chemical firms without doing anything.

Of course not !

I only eat seafood because my choice is not to mix chemicals since we learn at school that something happen when we mic them :-)

But if you believe that any seafood in Thailand is healthy, especially the one coming from farm (most of what we eat) you are really really really dreaming, even more than the guy who believes that his steak is healthy.

Maybe ignorance is the reason why nobody does anything about this ?

Eat cheap and healthy? Stop eating sugar. stop eating meat, stick to fish,, i would.say seafood but a growing % percentage ain't. keep a.check on amount of spices u use.buy your fruit and.Veg from the local market as opposed supermarkets. And 100% stick to brown rice, its really not expensive.

They can tell you anything because anyway it seems that you believe them...

Don't worry I know all the organics farms of this country but still I think that know what I am talking about...

I know that we all need to die for a reason, but being killed by Monsanto or Dow is really the worst thing...

Obviously not.
I made internships at the Royal Project and they are testing random samples of the incoming products on pesticides with a quick test.
If it's positive your products are rejected and you can't deliver for a certain period of time (I forgot the exact number)
They said it never happened because the farmers rely on selling their products as well as they pay a higher price.

They can tell you anything because anyway it seems that you believe them...

Obviously not.

Seeing is believing

• 4 weeks later...

For healthy eating I usually go for Chicken Breast and Veggies. Steam cook the veggies, mix with a bit of low-sodium seasoning. Boil the chicken, chop it up mix it together. A sort of Asian/thai/Chinese/whatever dish, but good on protein and vegetable content.

For a bit of American cuisine, I often go with a slice of whole wheat bread and a bit of peanut butter spread across it (source of protein, omega, wheat, fibre). As well as going with whole grain cereal (imported from Germany or the UK) with Meiji Milk 0%

I buy my Chicken either from Food Land or HomeFresh. I do NOT buy it from Big C which seems to be very bad and yucky. I once microwaved a bit of chicken left overs and it *exploded* (due to high water content). Not had that problem with FoodLand/HomeFresh.

If you are worried about pesticides/etc, you could buy canned/frozen vegetables that are imported. Might be a bit safer.

Pasta dishes are cheap to make and not too deadly. Pasta tuna and boiled potato is not too bad. Carrot and coriander soup is very cheap to make and makes a nice healthy meal. Paella is a cheap alternative to Thai rice dishes. Mashed potato and pumpkin with a bit of salad is also pretty toothsome.