Thai police: 5 Cambodian sailors arrested in rape, assault of French tourists

webfact

The three detained on the resort island of Koh Kut after a 50-strong force of marines, police and administrative officials supported by villagers sealed off their escape route, the other two were captured at Hat Let immigration checkpoint in Trat’s Khlong Yai district at 3pm Sunday as they allegedly tried to flee to Cambodia’s Koh Kong province.

Respect to the island and their concern of tourists welfare. Shame the same force wasnt shown in Koh Tao.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if they are Thais, Cambodians or Burmese. They are still the scum on this earth , raping innocent victims.

In this case they are clearly Cambodians and luckily the victims are still alive to tell the story .

I agree.

I don't know what the usual punishment for rape is in Thailand. Anyone have an idea ?

Anyway, I am quite sure that these rapists will have it very hard in jail; after the high level of publicity of this case. One or more of them might not even last more than a few months in there, I think.

2 young tourists should fight against 5 drunk, drugged , knife wielding strong khmer people- are you totally crazy? the 2 men would have been dead in 2 seconds, and then the ladies also, if one did not run. these fishermen are used to hard work every day, and they know how to fight.even mike tyson would not survive this, if he does not run.

+1thumbsup.gif

How long before "someone" suggests that the two ladies were "unsafe because wearing bikinis", "unless they were not beautiful"?

According to the automatic timing on your post, 13:39 on Monday, Feb 29, 2016. To the minute.

I think that you missed my point. These were definitely not my words nor my thoughts!

The quotes are from Gen. Prayuth, speaking of the Koh Tao case.

He has apologized for this later due to the massive uproar caused by his statements.

I don't think he will come up with the same thing this time, but I wouldn't be surprised that some other official does, possibly in a more subtle way (not that difficult!)

Edited by Lannig

I have no idea whether they did it or not, but they're toast either way.

no idea, really? with 4 victims as witnesses ???

your post is surreal

no you are - this is how it has been reported....witnesses have to make statements under oath in courts - not to you or a newspaper......when it comes to conclusions you have clearly come to soon.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Give em 40 licks from a 'Cat O Nine Tails' for starters.

Perhaps going a little easy, didn't you meant 40 licks per individual violated in anyway + 10 for bringing the tourism of the said country into disrepute? Capital punishment if the only thing 'these' people understand and the offenders should consider themselves very lucky; but there is no deterrent for these types of actions/activities. 500B fine - bang bang bai (sickening).

This behavioural pattern of treating western tourists with complete contempt will go unhindered until the message is sent from the xenophobic Junta and a corrupt judicial system that it's simply unacceptable to behave with such barbarity.

Or until westerners start protecting themselves and until it becomes common knowledge that Thailand is dangerous and westerners begin to take serious precaution like they do in Brazil for example.

Once Thailand has it's rightful reputation that it is very dangerous for westerners, it will take decades to recover the image.

National police chief to fly to Trat to question five Cambodian fishermen accused of raping two French tourists

52-1-wpcf_728x409.jpg

TRAT: -- National police chief will fly to Koh Kood Island in Trat province in helicopter late today to personally question five Cambodian fishermen arrested after they were accused of beating two French tourists and raping their female compatriots on Koh Kood in Trat province on Saturday night.

Pol Gen Chakthip Chaichinda will fly in a police helicopter to question the five Cambodian suspects, who worked on board a Thai fishing boat, this afternoon and will also witness the reenactment of their crimes at the crime scene by himself.

According to police report, three of the five suspects were arrested before dawn Sunday while trying to hide in bushes to escape hunt by alerted police and residents, while two other colleagues were arrested in yesterday afternoon at a border checkpoint while trying to cross over to Koh Kong of Cambodia in the bid to escape.

Preliminary police investigation revealed that the five were drinking liquor on their Thai fishing boat, and after they ran out, they put on life jackets and swam to the shore to buy some more.

The drunken men ran into a group of four French tourists, two women and two men, who were walking around the back of their resort on Saturday night.

According to Bangkok Post, the Cambodian boat crew tried to kidnap the two women, aged 57 and 28, and assaulted their male companions, aged 30 and 29, attacking them when they tried to help.

They allegedly raped the women after the first man was injured and the second ran for help at the resort.

The attackers fled after a group of resort staff and residents accompanied by the French man came to help.

The three French victims were found in critical condition and were initially treated at Koh Kood hospital before transferred to Trat hospital.

Doctors said that they had undergone surgery and were treated in an intensive care unit where their conditions now are described as satisfactory.

Police said after the resort staff alerted police, a 50-strong force of Marines, police and local administrative officials supported by villagers sealed off their escape route.

Three, still in half naked dresses, were apprehended from bushes before dawn.

The other two were captured by immigration police at Hat Lek immigration checkpoint in Trat’s Klong Yai district at 3pm Sunday as they allegedly tried to flee to Cambodia’s Koh Kong province.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152834

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-02-29

Unfortunate event for the French tourists.

I would say that was a chance encounter and nothing at all typical.

Wrong place at the wrong time.

Meantime lock the rapist scum up for the next....oh, say 30 years...or more.

Cheers

I love how the Thai cops allow the public to get at these types. And never charge the attackers fo meting out a bit of justice. In western countries you can't get at them like this and you would be charged.

I am also not surprised that, despite the fact that no Thais were involved, the Thaivisa thaibashers still took the opportunity to do what they love doing most.

Well said. However, the Thai bashers are always out in force, even if Thais are innocent. It's a remarkable trait found on TV and Bangkok Post etc.

It doesn't matter if they are Thais, Cambodians or Burmese. They are still the scum on this earth , raping innocent victims.

In this case they are clearly Cambodians and luckily the victims are still alive to tell the story .

I agree.

I don't know what the usual punishment for rape is in Thailand. Anyone have an idea ?

Anyway, I am quite sure that these rapists will have it very hard in jail; after the high level of publicity of this case. One or more of them might not even last more than a few months in there, I think.

At least 20 years in the slammer I think.

I love how the Thai cops allow the public to get at these types. And never charge the attackers fo meting out a bit of justice. In western countries you can't get at them like this and you would be charged.

I am also not surprised that, despite the fact that no Thais were involved, the Thaivisa thaibashers still took the opportunity to do what they love doing most.

Well said. However, the Thai bashers are always out in force, even if Thais are innocent. It's a remarkable trait found on TV and Bangkok Post etc.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

They see it here

They see it there

They see bashing everywhere

Even when none at all exists

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

Apologies to the Kinks and those who feel stuff like this should scan...

Edited by Bluespunk

This sort of thing really does the image of the idyllic Thai island no good at all.The brochure pictures of the sunsets and the starlit skies.Smiling Thai people with their heads bowed and their hands pressed together in a submissive gesture.Pictures of beautifully painted resorts and glorious swimming pool's.The snaps of the nightlife down town area's with tourists wandering around looking i shop window's and buying souvenirs. People laying in sun drenched beaches buying fruit and seafood from the happy,helpful beach vendors So some French people who were looking forward to the holiday of a life time end up in hospital.The women having to suffer the indignity of a rape kit.What heart break! When its all over and they are back home,how ill they answer the question 'well!did you enjoy your holiday in Thailand?'Every time they see a tv programme about the land of smiles,those two girls will relive it in their minds,time and time again.Will the holiday shops advertise Thailand as the jewell of Asia? Yeah 'come to Thailand and watch your wife get raped by scumbags'The following depression and memories of that night will last forever.This has also been the end of many marriages,in the long run.The physical pain alone,that the girls suffered will remain with them.What will happen to this happy band of traveler's? will they stop seeing each other due to the embarrassment.

Thai,Cambodians,Burmese,it doesnt matter,because these pissed up scum have not only ruined a holiday,they have possibly ruined lives.

To us reading this,occurrence,its only words on a screen and all the would be punishments posted will not make a difference.

They came 8000 miles only to have their lives ruined.The repercussions of this will eventually destroy them.

KKD

Thank you for taking the time to write that. It is awfully tragic to read, but surely the hard truth that we should all face up to.

Incidents like these just don't happen at this kind of high frequency in places like Indonesia, where people are actually humble and kind. I know it's Cambodians in this case, but maybe they just caught on to the local "norm" of doing whatever you like to tourists.

Edited by mesterm

Re-enact the rape. Hmmm. Seems a little over the top, even in the land of re-enactments.

The police chief personally asking the questions. Hmmm. How come he has the time to do the job of his staff? Maybe the re-enactment will help him with his sex life at home?

Only in Thailand!!

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

What on earth are you on about? Taken your pills today mate?

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

No pills today, but my coffee has been good. Thanks for asking.

I'm on about your propensity to see bashing everywhere even when none exists.

I agree there are those aggravating individuals who can be negative about all and everything Thai.

However those apologists who refuse to see any negativity or take the absurd position it is wrong to point out there are better ways of doing things are no better.

I find both camps equally tiresome if I'm to be honest.

As no doubt they find me.

C'est la vie...

Oh yes, one more thing...I'm not your mate.

Just a thought but would someone from the West, in this case France, really be able to identify an Asian? It is well known that to Westerners Chinese all look the same so how can they be sure of these guys? I not saying they are wrong and if they are they should be put behind bars for life

you know what is really weird? i can tell the difference between all the Thais I know.

they all look completely different.

It's like saying all Asian can't tell the difference between farang..

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

I agree there are those aggravating individuals who can be negative about all and everything Thai.

However those apologists who refuse to see any negativity or take the absurd position it is wrong to point out there are better ways of doing things are no better.

C'est la vie...

Sure thing. noted for next time. I could use more vulgar terms, but I will refrain from doing so Mr Mordor, the eye that sees everything.

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

C'est la vie...

Sure thing, noted for next time, Mr Eye of Mordor.

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

C'est la vie...

Sure thing. noted for next time. I could use more vulgar terms, but I will refrain from doing so Mr Mordor, the eye that sees everything.

Oh dear, is someone's ego feeling bruised. Diddums...

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

C'est la vie...

Yes, got it, I snorted in derision the first time I read it...

"BTW, no need to drag on about America saving Europe, that was 75 years ago. No need to mention French tourists, could just as easily have been Fred & Wilma and friends from Spokane."

Exactly right Ratcatcher. Americans need to be reminded that they sat on the fence pretending to be neutral and navel gazing for two years each time before they decided to join the British, Australians and everyone else in the conflicts and then solely claiming victory. And if they couldn't do that they'd manufacture a weapons testing program such as Vietnam, Laos, Iraq or Afghanistan.

This sort of assault can happen anywhere at anytime, more's the pity. Or are the streets of America so safe anyone can walk anywhere at night? I just hope these tourists get over the injuries, but more the trauma associated with it.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

They see it here

They see it there

They're the dedicated

Defenders of Thailand

C'est la vie...

Yes, got it, I snorted in derision the first time I read it...

Twas an accident, I didn't mean to post twice.

Drunken thais never seem to be involved in these things.... Even though they would vastly outnumber the Cambodians or Burmese in all these areas..... Just sayin...

Just sayin' you don't know shit... In many of these areas, (resort islands) Cambodian and Burmese workers outnumber Thais by a large margin.... just sayin.

Not just resort islands, but particularly, border areas. In Mae Sot for example, virtually all of the domestic labour, many of the restaurant staff, hotel cleaning staff, indeed, anyone working in a menial job is Burmese (many of them are Karen/Kayin, but the point being that they are of Burmese nationality as opposed to Thai).

Apart from easily spotting them by their physical appearance (the women wear Thanaka paste on their faces), or the fact they ride bicycles around town, sometimes another person sits on the back of the bicycle (I've always wondered how they can manage to do that, either they are very light or have special balancing skills), or the presence of Indo-Burmese faces (which makes them stand out more, though relatively few migrant workers of Burmese nationality are Indo-Burmese - those people tend to be traders who come for the day). Another way that Thai speakers can identify them is by their accent - they can't enunciate their final consonants. Instead of saying "luuk lek lek" (i.e. small child or small round thing) they say "luu le le". It's a major source of amusement amongst Thais, who often make fun of the way they speak.