No More Thai Price for Foreign Workers in Thailand?

eldragon

I enjoy living here. No doubt. But I can honestly say I have never, in 24 years been overly impressed with any National Parks here. They are pretty much a dissapointment. Waterfalls, mountains......Even most beachs are just so so at best. No great breathtaking beauty.Maybe It all depends on where you come from or where youve been......

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" the cashier refused to give me the Thai rate despite having a work permit. "

Are you Thai ? Because having a work permit one would presume you are not, ergo, you should not pay the Thai national price.

No but if you have a work permit it does mean you are contributing to the Thai economy in tax,, more then I can say for most Thai people so why should you pay more?

Why shouldn't foreigners pay more, our salaries/pensions are way in excess in what a Thai person could ever hope to earn, you come to Thailand wether on holiday or to live here you abide by their rules if not go some where else. There admission prices are not excessive either compared to elsewhere.

Here we go again!

No, not all foreigners earn more than Thais. Many Thais earn a lot lot more than government school teachers.

No, we will not go elsewhere. We have families here.

We just stay away from national parks, but it is difficult when shops, shopping centers and motorcycle taxi drivers charge more "just because we are farang".

Do you think it is fair we pay 300,000 baht instead of 100,000 for an operation, just because we are farang. I did get the lower price after I told them I lived here.

Only today I was with a Thai friend. We took a motorcycle each. 20 baht for my friend. 40 baht for me. My friend didn't believe it. He asked why. The reply "farang price!"

More and more people are trying to charge farangs more.

The disease is spreading.

Edited by petedk

Are you Thai ? Because having a work permit one would presume you are not, ergo, you should not pay the Thai national price.

No but if you have a work permit it does mean you are contributing to the Thai economy in tax,, more then I can say for most Thai people so why should you pay more?

Why do only those foreigners with a work permit contribute to the Thai economy? The Thai Revenue Dept. takes 2.5x as much in VAT as it does in Income Tax (in 2014) therefore I'd say that VAT is 2.5x as important in the provision of services by government, including that aspect of differential pricing that most pisses off those of us that get annoyed over this, National Picnic Sites & Rubbish Dumps - sorry, I mean National Parks.

We all pay VAT.

Of course, private organisations resorting to differential pricing are an entirely different matter and that practice should be outlawed but we know it never will be.

Also, for those of us not working here but living on pensions, those pensions are all 'free money' for Thailand, foreign exchange obtained with next-to-no effort. Whether the total of all those pensions amount to a huge sum or very little, I don't know & it doesn't really matter. Large sum or small, it's all 'free money'.

Of course, all this has been said before & will be said again. Those against differential pricing will not change their minds and neither will those in favour or accepting of it, whatever arguments are presented.

So while threads like this are a good opportunity for a moan, which we all like from time to time, it really gets nobody anywhere.

Edited by MartinL

This 2 level pricing system is endemic of a greater problem hear in Thailand for foreigners . The Thais do not want you here Or should I say the Government does not want you here.

I am moving to Panama next year You ask why . I want to live in a area that appreciate people and are not xenophobic .

Can you imagine if Government run attractions in the USA charged more for Thais to go There would be a cry, holler and protest from the Thai government I am sure of it .

Why not charge All Asians $50.00 to go to the Grand Canyon but only Charge Americans $5.00 Good idea Right? Wrong

They would claim discrimination and it is morally wrong You have your answer .

There are a lot of tourist coming now But once they see how Thailand treats them they will not come back They will look to other places that truly welcome foreigners on vacation

Edited by realenglish1

This 2 level pricing system is endemic of a greater problem hear in Thailand for foreigners . The Thais do not want you here Or should I say the Government does not want you here.

I am moving to Panama next year You ask why . I want to live in a area that appreciate people and are not xenophobic .

Can you imagine if Government run attractions in the USA charged more for Thais to go There would be a load holler and protest from the Thai government I am sure of it .

Why not charge All Asians $50.00 to go to the Grand Canyon but only Charge Americans $5.00 Good idea Right? Wrong

They would claim discrimination

Realenglish1, I'll take a big guess and say that you're English and not a Yank despite the USA theme of your post. You'll know that, in UK, if differential pricing were applied to Thais for UK attractions, there'd be a massive queue of British 'do-gooders' ready to take up arms on their behalf and get those increased prices abolished as discriminatory. Probably the same in USA. No protest from the Thai Government would be necessary, although I'm sure they'd make a complaint through diplomatic channels, unlike our western governments.

I don't imagine that any of us living in Thailand would expect, even in our wildest dreams, similar support from Thais over the question of differential pricing in Thailand.

EDIT; An afterthought - if my wife were asked to pay the 400฿ that appears to be a current price for foreigner entry to a NP, she'd say "Paeng" and walk away. As a couple, we exist on exactly the same income, down to the satang. If 400฿ is too expensive for her, it's too expensive for me so I'd feel entirely justified in walking away too.

Edited by MartinL

Can you imagine if Government run attractions in the USA charged more for Thais to go There would be a load holler and protest from the Thai government I am sure of it .

Realenglish1, I'll take a big guess and say that you're English and not a Yank despite the USA theme of your post. You'll know that, in UK, if differential pricing were applied to Thais for UK attractions, there'd be a massive queue of British 'do-gooders' ready to take up arms on their behalf and get those increased prices abolished as discriminatory. Probably the same in USA. No protest from the Thai Government would be necessary, although I'm sure they'd make a complaint through diplomatic channels, unlike our western governments.

I don't imagine that any of us living in Thailand would expect, even in our wildest dreams, similar support from Thais over the question of differential pricing in Thailand.

I was discussing pretty much everything you just said with my wife about an hour ago. And not only this, but you can be sure that if a Thai was charged 10X admission to Disneyland in California (or any one of the national parks) , it would be on the front page of every garbage Thai media outlet and an 800 page thread on Pantip with Thais screaming about discrimination. There is simply not the culture of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" here in Thailand.

But what you said is true.... I would be absolutely ashamed if it was in my country and would do whatever I could to let it be known....many others would as well......

Edited by inbangkok

Why shouldn't foreigners pay more, our salaries/pensions are way in excess in what a Thai person could ever hope to earn, you come to Thailand wether on holiday or to live here you abide by their rules if not go some where else. There admission prices are not excessive either compared to elsewhere.

Are they heck, plenty of Thais earn more than many westerners living here.

I was discussing pretty much everything you just said with my wife about an hour ago. And not only this, but you can be sure that if a Thai was charged 10X admission to Disneyland in California (or any one of the national parks) , it would be on the front page of every garbage Thai media outlet and an 800 page thread on Pantip with Thais screaming about discrimination. There is simply not the culture of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" here in Thailand.

But what you said is true.... I would be absolutely ashamed if it was in my country and would do whatever I could to let it be known....many others would as well......

Last time I was in Chicago I visited the field museum - heavy discounts for locals.

Thais cop double pricing in Australia, and don't whinge about it.

That is if they can even get a visa to go there.

And like in Thailand, it is not a racist thing as some are claiming, all foreigners have to pay more than the Aussies.

If a Thai wants to go to a government school, primary, secondary or uni, they must pay thousands more, not just a couple of dollars. And I reckon fair enough as I reckon fair enough that the Thais do it.

Another point is I believe that to get a work permit a farang minimum wage is 40,000 per month. So while there are many Thais who do earn more than this, most don't. Tourists, if they can afford an air ticket they can afford an extra couple of dollars.

Sri Lanka also does it. But ten times more. Went to the zoo, and two of us had to pay the same price as twenty Sri Lankans. I tried telling the ticket seller I was a born and bred local Sri Lankan. She asked to see my passport. I told her I didn't have a passport as I had never travelled abroad. She was having none of it, so we had to pay.

The post above also says it is the same in Chicago.

Another point is Thailand is so cheap anyway, I save thousands by living here. It honestly doesn't bother me to not receive the Thai discount. Going to the cinema here is about a tenth of what it costs in Oz for example. To see the same movie.

Maybe they just do it here to annoy the cheap Charlie's.

And like in Thailand, it is not a racist thing as some are claiming, all foreigners have to pay more than the Aussies.

If a Thai wants to go to a government school, primary, secondary or uni, they must pay thousands more, not just a couple of dollars. And I reckon fair enough as I reckon fair enough that the Thais do it.

Another point is I believe that to get a work permit a farang minimum wage is 40,000 per month. So while there are many Thais who do earn more than this, most don't. Tourists, if they can afford an air ticket they can afford an extra couple of dollars.

Sri Lanka also does it. But ten times more. Went to the zoo, and two of us had to pay the same price as twenty Sri Lankans. I tried telling the ticket seller I was a born and bred local Sri Lankan. She asked to see my passport. I told her I didn't have a passport as I had never travelled abroad. She was having none of it, so we had to pay.

Another point is Thailand is so cheap anyway, I save thousands by living here. It honestly doesn't bother me to not receive the Thai discount. Going to the cinema here is about a tenth of what it costs in Oz for example. To see the same movie.

Your wrong on more than one of your points

Your wrong on more than one of your points

Minimum wage? I said I "believe". I stand corrected, how much is it?

What other point is wrong? I have no problems admitting if I am wrong, but you have to tell me.

Going with wife and daughter I explain that I live and work in Thailand, pay my taxes here, live with my family here, that we are not rich (I might tell a small lie about my salary being 21,000B/month) and that if I have to pay that ridiculous fee, I won't be able to go in and my family day out will be just my wife and daughter, whilst I sit at the entrance waiting for them to come home.

It has worked once (Doi Khun Tan National Park) but not at Doi Inthanon, where I sat for three hours with the staff to ensure they felt suitably embarrassed at the entire situation.

Going with wife and daughter I explain that I live and work in Thailand, pay my taxes here, live with my family here, that we are not rich (I might tell a small lie about my salary being 21,000B/month) and that if I have to pay that ridiculous fee, I won't be able to go in and my family day out will be just my wife and daughter, whilst I sit at the entrance waiting for them to come home.

It has worked once (Doi Khun Tan National Park) but not at Doi Inthanon, where I sat for three hours with the staff to ensure they felt suitably embarrassed at the entire situation.

I imagine that sucked for 3 hours, but the important thing is that that you didn't lose face by backing down. Nice!

I dont prefer dubble pricing,

but , if I send my kids in BKK to a dual language school,

or foreign language school,

I have to pay much more than for a usual Thai school;

Why ?

Because the school have to pay much higher selaries to foreign teachers than to Thais;

So this foreigners get a much higher selary, and conditions that a Thai teacher,

so why than this foreigner should not pay on the other side also higher prices ??

if i would have a thai income,

I would not have the car and money to go there at all !!

No lie !!

Last time I was in Chicago I visited the field museum - heavy discounts for locals.

It's a $5 savings on $35 and the resident can be of any race or nationality. This thread is about local foreigners with work permits forced to pay non-resident prices because of their race.

I can believe Thais would do this, but I can't believe anyone would argue that it isn't racist. It's the very definition. Ask the ticket sellers, in Thai, if it's racist. They'll say yes!

Edited by BudRight

Yes it's racist, so? Almost every country is racist to some degree in some ways, even though they may have reams of ant-discrimination laws on the books, America being one. At least Thailand doesn't screw around with pretense, it says, there's Thai people and then there's a the rest, it doesn't specify one race or nationality as being particularly inferior, instead it says Thai's in Thailand are slightly better than everyone else hence they get a discount and nobody else does.

Maybe you're new around here. In the past, having a work permit has entitled one to the Thai rate, although it had always been a little inconsistent with regards to which parks and attractions abided by it.

Not that new, but I do know that a work permit never "entitled" you to the Thai national price, it was a concession that some places gave to foreign workers.

Fair enough. But the quote suggests there was a change in policy. So my question still remains. Is this a blanket policy now or do some parks and attractions still make the concession?

This is Thailand.

Even if the relevant Government agencies were to specifically instruct all the park officials to charge the same rate to everyone the money collectors and cashiers would still TRY to over charge the foreigners and pocket the cash for themselves and continue to get away with it as long as they can.

Just thought I would mention that.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

You sound like some pseudo, new age communist. People should pay based on their income and savings? What world do you live in? 100 baht from a rich person is worth the same as 100 baht from a poor person. Edited by inbangkok

Locals .... regardless of race or skin colour.

Fair enough many locals use museums etc. for study purposes

Not racism.....just them versus us lot..................

We took the train from Pattaya to Bangkok last week

Cost me 31 baht as an alien and the Thai wife got for free.

We both had sore aerses after the 4 hour journey.

Do you really think think the charges should be based on what they (the Thai people) perceive how wealthy we are, or in fact how wealthy you think we are?

Being that the minimum wage here 300 baht a day, 400 baht entrance to a National park is seriously way too much. It would be the same as charging 80 pound to visit a park in UK.

For private concerns it is seriously flawed too and encourages Thai people in general to charge more, from noodle soup (farang price) to houses etc.

Edited by chrissables

Maybe you're new around here. In the past, having a work permit has entitled one to the Thai rate, although it had always been a little inconsistent with regards to which parks and attractions abided by it.

I doubt it has to do with newness as much as it does with logic.

Logic? Here?cheesy.gif

We were discussing tinat's statement. Simply put, if you have a work permit, you are not Thai—is that really so far over your head?

EDIT; An afterthought - if my wife were asked to pay the 400฿ that appears to be a current price for foreigner entry to a NP, she'd say "Paeng" and walk away. As a couple, we exist on exactly the same income, down to the satang. If 400฿ is too expensive for her, it's too expensive for me so I'd feel entirely justified in walking away too.

I doubt if you would get the do-gooders standing up for them but they may. The biggest thing I think the poster is trying to get over there would be strong resentment and quite rightly

Rubbish,do super rich Thais who are driving BM's and Merc's pay more as i pay 10x more on my Honda Wave.