Bangkok discovers charming field in Lat Phrao, immediately trashes it

webfact

Bangkok Discovers Charming Field in Lat Phrao, Immediately Trashes it
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14567243631456724381l.jpg
Hundreds of visitors tromped through an empty field in Bangkok’s Lat Phrao during the weekend to take selfies and, it would seem, casually litter.

BANGKOK — It took only one weekend to transform a lovely field of rolling foxtails in the capital’s Lat Phrao district into a wasteland.

The empty field located on Kaset-Nawamin Road went viral online twice during the weekend: first when it was “discovered” and again after it fell victim to its sudden popularity.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456724363

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-29

Thainess...yesterday I was in a Taxi...I looked down and found all kinds of discarded food wrappers and bags...I scooped them up and gave them to the driver before we drove off...he said, "Ugh...Chinese so dirty!!!" Apparently, is previous fare had been some Chinese folks...the driver then took the garbage and threw it out the window...

When I protested that he should throw the trash away in a receptacle, he stated, "It's ok...my family Chinese too."

true story

Farangs are often found wearing dirty, stained, unironed, smelly clothing but generally take care of the environment around them.

Thais, other South East Asians and Chinese often wear unbelievably spotless clothing but live in dumps and create a dirty environment wherever they go.

One is a negative image of the other.

Sad.A certain person which we can not mention here has for many decades tried to convince his fellow countrymen to take care of and understand the fragile and beautiful nature in which they are living.......................His words still hasn`t sunk in it seems sad.png !!

This isnt anything "ness".

Its over population.

Its way too many people destroying everything by their overwhelming presence.

When are world leaders going to make a concerted effort to focus the earths citizens on birth control?

This isnt anything "ness".

Its over population.

Its way too many people destroying everything by their overwhelming presence.

When are world leaders going to make a concerted effort to focus the earths citizens on birth control?

Or basic education, devoid of political or religious overtones.

Thailand can start by controlling the content that goes into the soapies... as it teaches Thais about ghosts, what you can get away with.. gun fights are ok.. police are imbeciles and every action should be accompanied by a sound byte

To be fair, they just don't know any better. We are taught certain values at home and school early on. Among them, don't litter and don't stop all over nature etc. They get taught other values ... different ones that we sometimes find incomprehensible but values none the less. It's about the priorities of the culture.

I saw where a Thai man just took his two children out to the lot and cleaned up as a way of teaching his children how to improve the environment. At least there are a few Thais that do care!

I saw where a Thai man just took his two children out to the lot and cleaned up as a way of teaching his children how to improve the environment. At least there are a few Thais that do care!

Yes the example must come from the parents first. Teachers can also help but in my experience, from when I was teaching, its difficult if the parents are not like minded. The goverment also needs to play a major role especially considering how much they value tourism. Coming from Oz, as children we were always bombarded with TV campaigns such as "Keep Australia Beautiful", "Put it in a Bin", "Drop something Sport?" etc etc and I believe it worked. Most Australians (not all) love their country and abhor littering. But I have found talking to Thais they dont seem to see the connection....they say they love their country but will trash it. When I first came here, and it was obvious to Thais, they would always say "Thailand very beautiful, yes" and I would sometimes reply "Yes but all the rubbish?" and the reply would always be "Mai pen Rai" (never mind) which I feel is an attitude more damaging to the Thais and their country than it is constructive. The government could also help a lot more by providing more rubbish bins in public areas. In our village a market is held every week on the Tessabarn playing field and the next morning the whole area is littered with rubbish but not a bin in sight. Up to twenty council workers will be sent out each week to clean up the rubbish that hasnt by then been scattered throughout the village by the wind. Ok it provides employment I guess, but wouldnt it be better to provide bins, two guys and a truck to collect them, and send the other 18 guys out to do something constructive around the village? The monks also need to get involved, even just by setting an example. I visited a newly opened temple and giant Buddha statue the other week and noticed all the villagers admiring the new works, taking photos etc, while right behind them was a huge trench full of plastic bottles, bags and containers...a disgusting sight. The monks were using all their rubbish as a kind of landfill creating a 7 meter by 1 1/2 meter deep seam of pure plastic under the land surface beside their access road. They are all crying for money for the new temple and yet actually burying money because most of the trash was recyclable!!

Edited by ThaiFelix