Swiss man dies after choking on noodle soup in Jomtien

webfact

Swiss man dies after choking on noodle soup in Jomtien

swiss-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 58-year-old Swiss man died after choking on noodle soup, he was consuming at a Guest House off Jomtien Beach Road on Tuesday afternoon.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the Sabai Guest House in Soi 12 off Jomtien Beach Road, but were unable to save Mr. Ernst Albert Meier. Nearby was his Thai girlfriend, Khun Janjira aged 32.

The pair reside in Switzerland and had come to Thailand, less than 1 month ago, for a holiday. They went to consume noodle soup at their favorite eatery and Khun Janjira saw Mr. Meier collapse and he was clearly struggling to breath.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221864/swiss-man-dies-choking-noodle-soup-jomtien/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-03-02

Are any Thais taught the Heimlich manoeuvre? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_thrusts

This probably would have saved him.

St. Johns first-aid training courses I have attended refuse to teach the Heimlich manoeuvre, as it is too complicated and can cause internal organ damage.

The simplest and most effective method to clear an airway obstruction is to bend the subject's torso forward and using an open palm thump between his shoulder blades a couple of times.

That's using your noodle.

How tragic.

He's the youngest looking 58 year old I ever saw, done in by wet noodles..

You're looking at the wrong picture, obviously.

The guy sitting in the chair? No, that's him. Weekend at Bernies 3.

Are any Thais taught the Heimlich manoeuvre? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_thrusts

St. Johns first-aid training courses I have attended refuse to teach the Heimlich manoeuvre, as it is too complicated and can cause internal organ damage.

The simplest and most effective method to clear an airway obstruction is to bend the subject's torso forward and using an open palm thump between his shoulder blades a couple of times.

Perhaps for uneducated people but for medics (me) it works. I might add that I find it unlikely that he was obstructed with noodles. We'll see, perhaps..

Fair enough, though trying either is probably better than doing nothing. I see that it is now widely recommended to work in stages finishing with Heimlich if simpler techniques dont work, which makes sense and I will bear it in mind (I was trained to use Heimlich at my workplace umpteen years ago, along with various other first-aid and safety techniques).

But are any Thais taught to even do back-slapping?

I might add that I find it unlikely that he was obstructed with noodles.

Noodle soup often has pointed bony little bits of chicken in. Hard bits of lemon-grass also. Both could be quite nasty if you don't realise they are there.

I don't care if you are trained in any type of maneuver for clearing the airway. If I am facing certain death, a ballpoint pin tracheotomy or directly into the lung will be fine with me until someone else can do something. Even if you do something that attempts to save me and ultimately doesn't work is better than doing nothing.

I was taught the Hemilich maneuver donkeys years ago as a BSAC diving instructor and have seen it used effectively more than a couple of times and I have taught it to all my kids. So yes, at least some Thais have learned it, but in general it is not taught in Thai schools, maybe in some International schools?

But I know for sure just how effective it is in trained hands, as I was in Singapore last year eating breakfast in a hotel when some small pieces of overcooked bacon got stuck in my throat and I could not clear it, even when thumped hard on the back.

Very Fortunately for me there was a party of Singaporean lady doctors at a nearby table and a very small doctor came over, pulled me up from my knees and very swiftly applied the maneuver; and in one second had forced the bacon out, she used hardly any force at all.

I am very, very, very grateful to her.

Everybody should learn it (as with CPR) as more lives will be saved than people will get internal organ damage.

I believe that even if you are on your own you can help yourself by performing the maneuver over the back of a chair, but I hope I never have to find out, I hate choking.

RIP poor fellow, it is a horrible way to go and just a little learning could probably have saved him

Edited by MiKT

I don't care if you are trained in any type of maneuver for clearing the airway. If I am facing certain death, a ballpoint pin tracheotomy or directly into the lung will be fine with me until someone else can do something. Even if you do something that attempts to save me and ultimately doesn't work is better than doing nothing.

Yikes, I hope you're not around when I'm choking. An incision directly into the lung results in decompression & a condition called collapsed lung which makes it impossible to breath (you need a pressure differential in order to inhale). Also, if you don't know what you're doing, an amateur tracheotomy is likely to make the victim drown in his own fluids. Don't just go with something you saw on the telly once & start making things up.

Edited by USNret

Fair enough, though trying either is probably better than doing nothing. I see that it is now widely recommended to work in stages finishing with Heimlich if simpler techniques dont work, which makes sense and I will bear it in mind (I was trained to use Heimlich at my workplace umpteen years ago, along with various other first-aid and safety techniques).

But are any Thais taught to even do back-slapping?

No, they are taught the quick draw with the mobile phone (camera) to capture the precise moment for Facebook and youtube later.

May he RIP...but who are the people in the photo .....and why, maybe just other people eating there at the time?

It is confusing, and why in one picture is the Cop pointing at the lady?? Is she the guys girlfriend?? or the guy siting down's girlfriend..........or the owner of the noodle stand?? Maybe an underlying allergy - I have an acute allergy to shellfish, shrimp, crab, lobster etc etc - somtimes they get my order mixed up, and its not chicken I get, but shrimp, if he slurped that down and was allergic, then he would go into anal......phic (sp) shock, throat closes and he can't breath, compound that with Asthma and its St peter here I come - I carry a Epic-Pen in my car and backpack just in case. A mouthful of Hot Pepper can have the same effect on some people .thumbsup.gif

Yikes, I hope you're not around when I'm choking. An incision directly into the lung results in decompression & a condition called collapsed lung which makes it impossible to breath (you need a pressure differential in order to inhale). Also, if you don't know what you're doing, an amateur tracheotomy is likely to make the victim drown in his own fluids. Don't just go with something you saw on the telly once & start making things up.

I have been trained in multiple survival techniques. It is not something I saw on TV. Neither of the procedures I have mentioned are the first, or second, or third choice, especially in a choking situation but could be the difference between life and death if nothing is done. A field tracheotomy has risks and is not a great idea under normal conditions but I still prefer it to certain death. Going directly into the lung is definitely the last resort, but you can inflate and deflate the lung manually while other procedures are explored. It's not as much about it being the answer as it is buying some time. I'm not saying people should go round doing this but it is hard to watch someone die without doing anything.

Who would perform these amazing "life saving" procedures?.

I am particularly interested in the "directly into the lung" procedure. Where can links and further information about this remarkable first aid technique be found ?

Edited by sunnyjim5

in thailand, CPR and the Heimlich maneuver are considered stupid. and for stupid people. cause if someone is choking it must be because he was an evil man.

i saw someone chocking once in a restaraunt. he did the universal choking sign. and everyone thai just looked. .... as i was about to get up to help.... watch some more, cause thats what thais do, a Evil foreigner man went behind the choking man... bear hugs him and then what looks like dry humping 5-9 times. how rude. but the spirit of a lukthep doll went into the food and removed it as the evil falang man was dry humping him from behind ... so, everyone should have a luk thep doll. it can save your life.

fyi, i offer english classes for luk thep dolls. teach then english for only 500b/h very cheap. and i promise they will know english after 60 sessions.

<!-- sense any sarcasm? -->

A perfect example that the average Thai person has no working knowledge how to help another person with medical needs. So, simple the ( Hi mick (bad spelling), maneuver I learn that at the age of 8 in my school. So, no one in the noddle shop knew what to do? So, sad.

Choking has too be a horrible panic stricken way to die. Happened to me once when I was wolfing down a very large very dry sushi role from a take away. Non of the role made it to my gut but expanded in my throat.

I started having trouble breathing so bolted towards a 711 and ran to fridge, grabbed a coke and drank the lot as fast as I could however it was semi warm and the blockage was tight so the whole lot came out my nose. I got some very strange looks with my face bright red and coke streaming out both nostrils.. Switching to water taking just a mouthful and swallowed hard and ever so slowly it started to move. Was a very close call

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

there is always a problem when you are choking on food I always find a short sharp smack on the back usually clears the problem I have had this problem a few times and it can get quite frightening especially if you have an added medical problem like a bronchial problem or asthma rip.