Don Mueang International Airport can now handle 30 million passengers

webfact

Don Mueang International Airport now ready to accommodate 30 million people

dm.jpg

BANGKOK,2 March 2016 (NNT)-The second phase of the development at Don Mueang International Airport is now complete and ready to accommodate more passengers from March 8th.

According to Airports of Thailand (AoT) President Nitinai Sirismatthakarn, the second phase of the development consists of improvements to Passenger Terminal 2, three concourses, a southern walkway and toilet facilities.

A ceremony will be held on March 8 to mark the opening of the new development. Don Mueang International Airport is now able to accommodate 12 million more passengers annually or around 30 million people per year.

Mr. Nithinai added that the third phase of the airport development will focus on renovating and transforming the old domestic terminal into a new passenger terminal. A walkway will be built to connect the building to the new sky train station. There will also be a new car parking building nearby that can accommodate up to 3,000 cars.

The AoT President claimed around 10 billion baht is needed to achieve the third phase which will increase the efficiency of the airport to accommodate as many as 40 million travelers per year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-02 footer_n.gif

Felt like each and every one of them were there last time I used the place...

It is not too bad for domestic flights where you can check in online. Checking in for an Air Asia international flight, however, is a nightmare. I actually think the airport itself is tolerably well run. The problem is airlines that consider their flight schedules to be optional guidelines, and have totally inadequate numbers of ground staff to handle the number of passengers they sell tickets to.

Don Mueang’s Terminal 2 will have “Sleep Box” service when it opens March 8

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6WfwNy1EUVCjZndK912ZKo4X

BANGKOK: -- The Airports of Thailand (AOT) will officially open the second passenger terminal on March 8 where "sleep box" will be available for services to night flight passengers.

AOT director Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said the opening of Terminal 2 will enable the airport to adequately accommodate up to 30 million passengers a year.

After the opening the second terminal, he said AOT will then renovate the first terminal to be more modernised.

He said Terminal 2 which is scheduled to open on Friday is filled with restaurants and stalls and toilets at 44 locations.

Besides, he said, AOT will also open “sleep box” service at Terminal 2 to serve night passengers who have to wait for late night flights.

There will be 25 sleep boxes altogether, but initially only five will be on service, he said.

The service fee will be based on hours spent.

He also revealed that AOT has plan to invest over 10 billion baht on its Phase 3 development plan to improve the unused domestic flight terminal and build new passenger terminal to connect the Don Mueang electric train station where the Red Line, Airport Link and Phyathai -Don Mueang adjoin.

A new parking building is also under the development phase that will have space for 3,000 cars.

The AOT will forward the documents development plan to its board for approval on March 23.

Presently Don Mueang airport serves 650-680 flights daily, 70% of which are domestic flights, with 80,000-100,000 passengers a day.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153166

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-02

It is not too bad for domestic flights where you can check in online. Checking in for an Air Asia international flight, however, is a nightmare. I actually think the airport itself is tolerably well run. The problem is airlines that consider their flight schedules to be optional guidelines, and have totally inadequate numbers of ground staff to handle the number of passengers they sell tickets to.

If you want better service you will have to pay more money. Air Asia is a Low Cost Carrier and will have their internal costs like check in staff reduced to the lowest number possible to make some money. If the staff numbers go up so will their air fares.

Air Asia is OK if you have just carry-on...then you can avoid the counters....I went to Bali without check in

Air Asia is OK if you have just carry-on...then you can avoid the counters....I went to Bali without check in

That is interesting. When I went to HCMC recently, I could not get a boarding pass without a passport check. I almost always travel with carry on baggage only.

Thats awesome. so when will the TaT release a statement that Thailand is on track for 60 million visitors this year ?

Close all the other airports down save money bus them all over the country. Part of the package an up and close look at the countryside. Bangkok is the centre of everything so why not.

That is interesting. When I went to HCMC recently, I could not get a boarding pass without a passport check. I almost always travel with carry on baggage only.

Does anybody recall, about 2002 or 2003 getting OFF the plane at DM, they'd ask for your boarding pass?...The one you got in Tokyo or Chicago or Taipei?

It was MADNESS!

3 or 4 cute gals standing in the jetway "Must to see boarding card preese?" as you were EXITING the airplane!

About 75% of the people had left them on the plane & had to go back & dig around for it.

I was flying in and out of DM a lot back then and always had a book to read in the air, so my boarding pass was always my bookmark. Not too much of a biggie for me, but it caused utter mayhem for many.

I still have no idea why they did that.

I mean it can handle it, but does it want to? Last few times I was there the service by the staff there was absolutely terrible, and by that I mean downright rude! Getting impatient and snapping passengers (even old ladies), not even smiling once, raising their voices to ask "What you want?" at people.

It's not like they are doing us a favor. What do we pay airport tax for?

About six months ago flew in from Kuala Lumpur and from the plane touching down to getting outside 30 minutes.

I like the city of KL a lot, but my memories of the airport were always standing in line with many people who had not bathed in several months.

I won't state facts about where they were from, as that would make me a 'racist', and I'd be 'defaming' a nation, I'll just say sub-continent.

When Don Muong closed down it was handling 45 million a year (TAT said so, so it must have been true), I wonder how much equipment (baggage handling conveyors, fire support etc) has had to be replaced to bring it back to 60% capacity?

coffee1.gif