Cannot change my Extension from Marriage to Retirement

From the OP:

I asked about my next Non-O extension due on 15th April and if it was ok to transfer from the previous marriage extension to a retirement one and was told it is not now possible to do that and I would have to leave Thailand and reenter on a retirement 90 Non-O and have that extended.

Your current extension of stay, which is for the reason of living with your Thai wife, expires on 15 April 2016.

Generally, immigration offices accept the application for a subsequent one-year extension of stay only during the last 30 days before expiration of the current extension.

The period between now and 15 April is longer than 30 days. Therefore, the immigration officer told you that it is not now possible to accept your new application for extension of stay, this time for the reason of retirement. Go back again after 15 March. Bring your wife with you; she may have to sign a document stating that she agrees to your change from the marriage extension to the retirement extension.

I was in the office to have my visas transferred into a new passport and simply asked about the process to take place after 15th March and the move from marriage to retirement extension. My wife was with me and it as discussed at some length in a very friendly manner. I said that I had read of many falang renewing their extension and changing the reason from marriage to retirement and back and was told it was possible before but now rules apply now.

The reason is simple.. (i had the same when i tried to cancel my marriage extension). Your extension can only end if you divorce or if you dont renew it or if you go out of the country without a reentry permit.

So that is the problem.

mmm I have read many posts here saying they had changed from one to the other and back again ....

Believe me, they can't cancel the marriage one. I tried as I went for Elite Visa. I had to leave the country to cancel the marriage one or divorce (and could only cancel after the divorce) Or wait for the marriage extension to expire. There was no way to change one into the other as mariage one had to be invalid first.

Maybe I was not clear - I do not want to cancel it - I want my next extension to be retirement , sorry

I think therein lies the confusion at immigrations (and in this thread). Rather than saying you want to CHANGE an existing marriage extension to a retirement extension, maybe asking if your NEXT extension application can be based on retirement rather than marriage ...

• Like 1

The reason is simple.. (i had the same when i tried to cancel my marriage extension). Your extension can only end if you divorce or if you dont renew it or if you go out of the country without a reentry permit.

So that is the problem.

Two years ago at Khon Kaen immigration I changed my extension from marriage to retirement at my Thai daughters suggestion because of the paperwork required for the marriage, no problems

• Like 2

I changed from marriage to retirement extension just under a year ago with no problems. The only concern from the Immigration officer was that as the retirement extension would run for one year from date of application I would "lose" time on my marriage extension. Possibly try again with less than 30 days left on the marriage extension?

I changed from marriage to retirement extension just under a year ago with no problems. The only concern from the Immigration officer was that as the retirement extension would run for one year from date of application I would "lose" time on my marriage extension. Possibly try again with less than 30 days left on the marriage extension?

I done the opposite.

I changed from retirement to marriage with 6 months still valid on my retirement extension.

At first, my immigration office was reluctant to do it as it causes them more administration and couldn't understand why I was willing to sacrifice 6 months of the old extension. I just told them I wanted to release 400,000 to buy a car and 'hey presto'.

• Like 1

So that is the problem.

Two years ago at Khon Kaen immigration I changed my extension from marriage to retirement at my Thai daughters suggestion because of the paperwork required for the marriage, no problems

I was wrong, as was pointed out.. I got a completely new Visa (non O to Elite Visa) this is just a change of reason for non O. My mistake mea culpa.

• Like 1

Had another visit to immigration this morning to pickup my passport with transferred visas. I asked the officer again about my next extension and if it could be retirement and she assured me it was a new rule that reasons for extensions could NOT be changed.

Edited by krobert6

So that is the problem.

mmm I have read many posts here saying they had changed from one to the other and back again ....

Believe me, they can't cancel the marriage one. I tried as I went for Elite Visa. I had to leave the country to cancel the marriage one or divorce (and could only cancel after the divorce) Or wait for the marriage extension to expire. There was no way to change one into the other as mariage one had to be invalid first.

Maybe I was not clear - I do not want to cancel it - I want my next extension to be retirement , sorry

It seems you want cake and eat it to. Not going to happen. Can't have it both ways.

My friend who is getting on in life has had the extension of stay " retirement " as some might call it for a number of years , he tells me he would now like to change it to a visa based on marriage as he has a Thai wife for over 4 years I think his reasoning is because he then only has to show 400,000 as opposed to 800,000 how would he go about it I have heard all these crazy stories about having to have pictures of husband and wife outside the house , inside the house and even on the bed is this true or just a wind up if anyone can offer advice on this matter please PM me so that I can give him an idea what he should do. Thanks in advance !

If this is the case in wanting to change from Spouse Visa to Retirement Visa is it also the case for changing from Retirement to Spouse?

I'm considering changing to a Spouse Visa after nine years on the Retirement Visa. I was told some time ago there would be no problem - but that was then. Have things changed? I can't find anything on the web regarding this.

Any information appreciated.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

If this is the case in wanting to change from Spouse Visa to Retirement Visa is it also the case for changing from Retirement to Spouse?

I'm considering changing to a Spouse Visa after nine years on the Retirement Visa. I was told some time ago there would be no problem - but that was then. Have things changed? I can't find anything on the web regarding this.

Nothing has changed and you can change the basis of your application for an extension based on retirement to one based on marriage.

I called the Visa hotline and they confirmed what the officer said

for this case่ ,do we need to prepare body check report and clearance report from police? is there any tour in khaosan road(border run) for this purpose as i dont know laos and they can arrange accomodation as well?

To apply for a retirement extension a medical or police report is not a requirement.

If that is what you are asking.

My friend who is getting on in life has had the extension of stay " retirement " as some might call it for a number of years , he tells me he would now like to change it to a visa based on marriage as he has a Thai wife for over 4 years I think his reasoning is because he then only has to show 400,000 as opposed to 800,000 how would he go about it I have heard all these crazy stories about having to have pictures of husband and wife outside the house , inside the house and even on the bed is this true or just a wind up if anyone can offer advice on this matter please PM me so that I can give him an idea what he should do. Thanks in advance !

A rough guide.

1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.