Cannot change my Extension from Marriage to Retirement

Went to the the Chiang Saen immigration this morning to get visas transferred to my new passport.

I asked about my next Non-O extension due on 15th April and if it was ok to transfer from the previous marriage extension to a retirement one and was told it is not now possible to do that and I would have to leave Thailand and reenter on a retirement 90 Non-O and have that extended.

1. Is that commonplace now ?

2. What is the cost of a 90 day Non O retirement visa and how long does it take? ( I have over 800k in a Thai bank atm )

3. Where is the best place to have this done

4. I was told just to exit without a re-entry - is there any risk of not getting the visa (I am over 50)

If all else fails I will just go with the marriage visa again but thought the retirement one was safer for personal reasons.

What you wish to do is entirely feasible so I have no idea why you were told otherwise.

When the change is made some IO's like to ensure the wife is aware of and understands the change.

Can I appeal ?

The reason is simple.. (i had the same when i tried to cancel my marriage extension). Your extension can only end if you divorce or if you dont renew it or if you go out of the country without a reentry permit.

So that is the problem.

• Like 1

The reason is simple.. (i had the same when i tried to cancel my marriage extension). Your extension can only end if you divorce or if you dont renew it or if you go out of the country without a reentry permit.

So that is the problem.

mmm I have read many posts here saying they had changed from one to the other and back again ....

• Like 1

So that is the problem.

mmm I have read many posts here saying they had changed from one to the other and back again ....

Indeed! In fact many IO's prefer a person who qualifies to opt for an extension based on retirement because the process is less demanding from an administrative point of view and the decision is a local one meaning the extension can be issued on the same day application is made.

If you decide to obtain a single entry "O" visa from Vientiane you will in addition to the usual copies need your updated bankbook showing the 800,000. Apply in the morning and pick up the visa the following day in the afternoon.

So that is the problem.

Believe me, they can't cancel the marriage one. I tried as I went for Elite Visa. I had to leave the country to cancel the marriage one or divorce (and could only cancel after the divorce) Or wait for the marriage extension to expire. There was no way to change one into the other as mariage one had to be invalid first.

• Like 1

So that is the problem.

Believe me, they can't cancel the marriage one. I tried as I went for Elite Visa. I had to leave the country to cancel the marriage one or divorce (and could only cancel after the divorce) Or wait for the marriage extension to expire. There was no way to change one into the other as mariage one had to be invalid first.

Maybe I was not clear - I do not want to cancel it - I want my next extension to be retirement , sorry

Edited by krobert6

Maybe your mariage extention had not expired.. once its expired it can be done.. but before that time you will have to invalidate it first by either a divorce or leaving the country.

As the OP mentioned he will be renewing his extension of stay and wishes to change then. There is no reason I know of that he can't change his reason for extension of stay from marriage to retirement. The original visa has nothing to do with it. Some offices actually prefer to have extension based on retirement over marriage due to less paperwork for them.

• Like 2

Maybe your mariage extention had not expired.. once its expired it can be done.. but before that time you will have to invalidate it first by either a divorce or leaving the country.

As the OP mentioned he will be renewing his extension of stay and wishes to change then. There is no reason I know of that he can't change his reason for extension of stay from marriage to retirement. The original visa has nothing to do with it. Some offices actually prefer to have extension based on retirement over marriage due to less paperwork for them.

Is there any way to appeal this ? or can I try another office close like Mae Sai or Chiang Khong

Edited by krobert6

Is there any way to appeal this ?

Request to talk to a higher up. There is also an immigration hotline number but can't remember what it is <1111?>.

So that is the problem.

Maybe I was not clear - I do not want to cancel it - I want my next extension to be retirement , sorry

You are clear.. but to do that your mariage extention needs to be expired or invalid to make the change.. maybe its a date issue.. I am just guessing because I wanted to change mariage extention into elite visa and was told that this was only possible at the date of expiration and if i wanted that before I had to go out of the country or get a divorce.

Strange that then when I wanted to change from mariage to Elite they said the mariage visa had to be cancelled first. I had quite a few discussions with them about this. I also let the people from elite visa into it and nobody could help.

Strange that then when I wanted to change from mariage to Elite they said the mariage visa had to be cancelled first. I had quite a few discussions with them about this. I also let the people from elite visa into it and nobody could help.

There is no cancellation involved in what the OP wants. He applies for his new extension based on retirement which takes effect right after his extension based on marriage expires (no longer valid).

• Like 2

That is because you were wanting to get a visa not change the reason for an extension. Immigration could not cancel the extension so they could stamp a new one year entry after you got the visa.

• Like 1

That is because you were wanting to get a visa not change the reason for an extension. Immigration could not cancel the extension so they could stamp a new one year entry after you got the visa.

Called the Thai immigration hotline and they said that I could not change at renewal and I would have to get a Non-O outside of Thailand. So I suppose I am snookered as they said ' whatever the officer you spoke to stands' :(

So back to my questions

2. What is the cost of a 90 day Non O retirement visa and how long does it take? ( I have over 800k in a Thai bank atm )

4. I was told just to exit without a re-entry - is there any risk of not getting the visa (I am over 50)

I don't know if it's possible to have it cancelled, get the seven days to leave stamp, then apply for the retirement extension within the seven days. Worked for two people I know some years back. Non-Ed to B, and B to O. Both of them used agents.

• Like 1

1. Never heard of anybody not being able to do it. I would be tempted to get everything ready and go to immigration and apply for the extension based upon retirement.

2. A single entry non-o visa costs 2000 baht. You apply the morning of one day and pick up the next afternoon. All you will need is a copy of your updated bank book showing the 800k baht in the account.

3. From where you are located the best place would be Vientiane Laos.

4. No problem to get the visa. You could apply for one based upon marriage as well as being 50 or over.

• Like 1

Called the Thai immigration hotline and they said that I could not change at renewal and I would have to get a Non-O outside of Thailand. So I suppose I am snookered as they said ' whatever the officer you spoke to stands' sad.png

So back to my questions

1. First time I've ever heard of this personally! But Thai culture, of course, dictates that one's face shall always be saved come hell or high water - which probably explains the answer you got from the hotline.

2. Depends on where you get one (see 3).

3. Vientiane (PDR Laos) or Penang (Malaysia) are the preferred destinations of choice locally for single-entry non-O visas by virtue of being aged over 50. Plenty of info in recent threads on here regarding costs, procedures, etc from those who have been through the mill.

4. You should be OK, but it might nevertheless still be worth your while obtaining a re-entry permit IMHO for the sake of your peace of mind.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Called the Thai immigration hotline and they said that I could not change at renewal and I would have to get a Non-O outside of Thailand. So I suppose I am snookered as they said ' whatever the officer you spoke to stands' sad.png

So back to my questions

At the end of the day it's up to the individual office. You could appeal but as you will be appealing to the people that are making this local rule there is little point.

1. No.
  2. 2,000 baht. Apply in the morning or day one and collect in the afternoon of day two.
  3. Vientiane, Laos.
  4. As long as your over 50 and have a minimum of 800k in your Thai bank there is little/no risk of not getting the visa.
  • Like 1

4. No problem to get the visa. You could apply for one based upon marriage as well as being 50 or over.

Just wonder, though, whether he might find himself back to square 1 with his local immigration office when the time eventually came for him to apply for an extension of stay, if he were to obtain a visa based on marriage rather than being 50+?

• Like 1

Just wonder, though, whether he might find himself back to square 1 with his local immigration office when the time eventually came for him to apply for an extension of stay, if he were to obtain a visa based on marriage rather than being 50+?

How would they know what the visa was issued for. Anyway a non-o is still non-o no matter the reason it was issued for.

• Like 2

How would they know what the visa was issued for. Anyway a non-o is still non-o no matter the reason it was issued for.

If he got a multi-entry non-O for marriage at Savannakhet, some bright spark at his local immigration office might spot the M (instead of S) on the visa!

If he got a multi-entry non-O for marriage at Savannakhet, some bright spark at his local immigration office might spot the M (instead of S) on the visa!

Why would he be getting multiple entry visa? No mention of that in my post. He will likely be going to Vientiane for a single entry visa.

I think it depends on your designated immigration office. I've changed the reason for the extension 4 times now without getting a new visa outside Thailand to restart the process. My last 7 back to back one year extensions have been RMM @ Korat and then RRMR @ Kap Choeng without any issues.

(R=Retirement, M=Marriage)

Edited by mxyzptlk

It has spouse written on it :/

It has spouse written on it :/

Really ?

Please post a scan of an "O"visa with the word "spouse" written on it.

• Like 1