Goodbye Pattaya, Hello Phuket.

50baht

Hmm, pollution in Phuket is more bad for me. All the new buildings raising everywhere with dust clogged my lungs after 2 days, i had to leave Phuket even if i already paid hotel for xx days ahead. The foodprices are ridicolous. Beers and barfines and girls are also over the top. I would choose a place to live somewhere outside those places or go to island now and then for clearer water.

Gl

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in jomtien for 5 years. Went in the ocean once, stunk,

Garbage and filthy water. I love the ocean, I go to Koh Larn once

Or twice a week for the clean ocean water and use the pools at

My condo.

Will visit Phuket for the first time next month, if the beaches and water

Are clean, I might consider moving too....being a renter has its advantages,

I can leave with just a 30 day notice to the owner!!

I love living in Phuket. They'll carry me outta here in a box.

High season winding down now, thank Buddha. All these people add tremendously to the traffic because there is no public transportation.

My biggest problem here is with the endless building which is seriously affecting the environment. Despite a huge property bubble, huge new projects continue to be built everywhere. It's why I always say, never buy property in Thailand. It's the only way I know of to stop these developers. Starve the beast.

Could luck selling your place. Join us, just rent.

I have lived in jomtien for 5 years. Went in the ocean once, stunk,

Garbage and filthy water. I love the ocean, I go to Koh Larn once

Or twice a week for the clean ocean water and use the pools at

My condo.

Will visit Phuket for the first time next month, if the beaches and water

Are clean, I might consider moving too....being a renter has its advantages,

I can leave with just a 30 day notice to the owner!!

Owning has even bigger advantage. I rent my condo in BKK for 35k and renting in jomtien for 10k the extra 25k is a lovely addition to an already great pension :-):-):-)

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

As time passes, it will get hotter soon with less people will be coming to Pattaya. Be patient. Many of my Thai friends tell me that the minor street crime in Phuket is accelerating, but I have not confirmed that. I was told some of the young beach crowd feels it is a form of a tax on tourists. I was in Pattaya a few days ago by the beach and I did not experience any pollution with the winds coming from the sea. They had the food festival so traffic was heavy. I recommend before you move if you have not already; go to Phuket and spend a week and ask questions and do some research. Many times the grass on the other side of the fence may seem greener, but soon turns brown. On the other hand if you just need a change, go for it, or do different activities, join some clubs, and meet new friends in Pattaya. Whatever, you decide just enjoy Thailand. Many times change makes a big difference.

Phuket is probably the last place in Thailand I would relocate to. I don't care if the beaches are spotless clean , I just hate being ripped off by the locals No thanks.

I have lived in Phuket for 17 years and never had any issue with the locals. My only complaint is with the ever-increasing "concreteification" of what used to be a largely green island

These threads love to bring out the Phuket haters aye? Pretty funny.

The guy who says food prices are ridiculous dust in his lungs, let me guess, you were in Patong, yes? Loads of other places on the island. The guy who says it took 2.5 hours to get to Patong, the driver blew it and probably you were stuck in that traffic entering Patong from Kamala. Wrong route chief.

Yes, I was in the water at Nai Harn Beach yesterday and it was lovely clean and clear, might go down there today !

Different strokes for different folks. The couple of times I was in Pattaya, not very nice (IMO). If I want that experience I'll jump a plane to Angeles City where the girls are prettier and funnier.

MCFISH. I figured it out a few years ago, condo

I live in was for sale $67K. American, my rent is

B9500 (great deal, wonderful owner). I invested

$75K at 5.2%. No headaches, AC blew, owner

Replaced, washer died, ownwper replaced, fringe

Had problem, owner repaired....I pay my rent every

6 months, owner comes for coffee, tells me I am his

Best renter, I keep the apartment immaculate, and

With the 5.2% income my headache free apartment

Is free!!

MCFISH. I figured it out a few years ago, condo

I live in was for sale $67K. American, my rent is

B9500 (great deal, wonderful owner). I invested

$75K at 5.2%. No headaches, AC blew, owner

Replaced, washer died, ownwper replaced, fringe

Had problem, owner repaired....I pay my rent every

6 months, owner comes for coffee, tells me I am his

Best renter, I keep the apartment immaculate, and

With the 5.2% income my headache free apartment

Is free!!

Nothing wrong with that approach either. Anyway better get back to topic before it turns into the inevitable.. :-)

Op what do you think happens with sewage on Phuket and many of Thailands resorts?It runs in the sea and if the current and wind is right it floats back to land so basically one is swimming in ea de kaka.coffee1.gif Good luck on avoiding that polution thing because you are in the wrong country concerning said topic.

You have no clue of that you speak

2fishin2. check your facts, Phuket waters are highly polluted. And in the wet season, waters are filled with filth runoff .

Op what do you think happens with sewage on Phuket and many of Thailands resorts?It runs in the sea and if the current and wind is right it floats back to land so basically one is swimming in ea de kaka.coffee1.gif Good luck on avoiding that polution thing because you are in the wrong country concerning said topic.

2fishin2. check your facts, Phuket waters are highly polluted. And in the wet season, waters are filled with filth runoff .

Unless you are a dive instructor, my fact is that I have spent more time in the waters around Phuket than you have spent in water in your entire life. I am a speafisherman and freediver. Its nothing for me to spend 5-6 hours straight in the water without ever setting foot on land. You guys who say water is "highly polluted" dont have a clue what pollution is. Want to experience pollution, look at the rivers and canals around BKK. If Phuket was so "highly polluted" don't you think there would be cases of sickeness reported? If it was so "highly polluted" how does the dive industry stay in business?

YOUR "facts" are wrong so please move on and troll in a thread where you know something about the "facts" you assume.

Welcome to Phuket. The guy and his friend who spent hours getting from the airport in the middle of the day.....highly unlikely. I live down near Cape Panwa almost at the other end of the island and do it outside of rush hour in an hour easy.....came in at 6:30pm on Tuesday night and was home at 7:30pm. I love the Phuket bashers, it means more people will stay away....good. I live on a very clean beach with around thirty people here on a busy day, otherwise much less and we have an expensive hotel on the beach. Never crowded, with ocean breezes most days. Also my landlord is Muslim....lovely people who respect me, and me them. And I love it here. Was in Bangkok for a few days....reminded me of what Hell must be like. So please stay in Pattaya or whatever other miserable place you all live in....because you all sound very unhappy and extremely negative. But welcome to 50baht.....just look around carefully and you will find your nirvana here.

Unless you are a dive instructor, my fact is that I have spent more time in the waters around Phuket than you have spent in water in your entire life. I am a speafisherman and freediver. Its nothing for me to spend 5-6 hours straight in the water without ever setting foot on land. You guys who say water is "highly polluted" dont have a clue what pollution is. Want to experience pollution, look at the rivers and canals around BKK. If Phuket was so "highly polluted" don't you think there would be cases of sickeness reported? If it was so "highly polluted" how does the dive industry stay in business?

YOUR "facts" are wrong so please move on and troll in a thread where you know something about the "facts" you assume.

How would you know by simply being in the water that its not polluted ?Do trust the Thai marine authority to do the testing ,would they publish bad results wich can damage local bussinesses and tourism?

Most websites with polution results i can find are geared towards people who have bussines intrests in Phukets tourism and as per usual are being economical with the truth.

Phuket... The only place on the planet with more mafia would be Sicily! And that's debatable.

Every single person I know has stopped going there.

Locals are stuck there even though there is an international airport you have to pay top premium pricing to go anywhere. try flying from phuket to Cambodia or Vietnam

A post has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

If anyone is in Phuket right now , let's compare prices on transportation, food , hotels, rent, electricity etc just to confirm this myth that Phuket is a better place for expats to live in. Unless you don't care about money of course.

Just spent a week in Patong. Hadn't been in 15 years. Great back then, but now...what a ZOO! Overpriced tourist trap. Overloaded with Chinese and "Frussians". NEVER ever going back. bah.gif Nicer than Pattaya for sure, but more crowded and traffic even worse. In my humble opinion, much better beach alternatives abound. Regardless...Best wishes!

Edited by Skeptic7

Just spent a week in Patong. Hadn't been in 15 years. Great back then, but now...what a ZOO! Overpriced tourist trap. Overloaded with Chinese and "Frussians". NEVER ever going back.

You were there just now, can we do a rough price comparison, like balo suggested?

Just basic stuff, cost of daily life, things we all do through the day.

Home is where you make it as the saying goes .

OP wants the action , ie Patong so he would have to live near by Patong.

All the happy people living in Phuket are NOT living in Patong.

Patong is a tourist trap so living there would not be a better experience than Pattaya but much worse.

Just spent a week in Patong. Hadn't been in 15 years. Great back then, but now...what a ZOO! Overpriced tourist trap. Overloaded with Chinese and "Frussians". NEVER ever going back.

You were there just now, can we do a rough price comparison, like balo suggested?

Just basic stuff, cost of daily life, things we all do through the day.

Here's one comparison that pretty much sums it all up. Occasionally the gf likes to take a break from Thai food and enjoys a Subway sandwich. All over Thailand, except for the airports, a foot long veggie sub is ß149 and a 6" Chicken Teriyaki ß99. The prices were 100 baht more per sandwich in Patong. ß249 for the footlong veggie and ß199 for the 6-inch chicken sub. Have dined at Subway all over the world and this $7 footlong veggie in Patong was more expensive than Subway in Seoul, South Korea late last year and the most expensive by far.

We also bought some fruit out on the street and like Subway...prices were about 50% higher than elsewhere. Also picked up a couple falafel sandwiches one day. In BKK and Pattaya they are already overpriced @ about ß60 each. In Patong, a single falafel sandwich was ß100.

Played pool one night at a nice indoor billiard bar. Small bottles of San Miguel Light were ß140...same as many go-go bars! A regular sized jug of Chang draft was ß300, but by far the most economical way to drink.

Restaurants were generally more expensive than BKK and Pattaya too, although we did find one fairly priced restaurant for seafood, Thai food and pasta. We dined there numerous times, not only because of the reasonable prices, but for the excellent food and service as well.

This was a holiday trip, so we didn't purchase many of the daily items one would buy at home...and we didn't do any of our own cooking.

The problem with Phuket is it is too small especially if you are into the P4P scene.

Basically you will know everyone in a short period of time.

Secondly it is more expensive than Pattaya and it can be significantly so depending on how you live.

I would be inclined to agree with those posters who recommend Bang Saray or somewhere around Pattaya.

Heck you can get a place up in Cosy Beach and it doesn't feel like you are in Pattaya at all.

Never been there, where does it feel like?

Edited by HLover

The problem with Phuket is it is too small especially if you are into the P4P scene.

Basically you will know everyone in a short period of time.

Secondly it is more expensive than Pattaya and it can be significantly so depending on how you live.

I would be inclined to agree with those posters who recommend Bang Saray or somewhere around Pattaya.

Heck you can get a place up in Cosy Beach and it doesn't feel like you are in Pattaya at all.

Never been there, where does it feel like?

Cosy; Beach doesn't feel like you are in Pattaya at all.

It is just up the hill from Walking St so it is not a bad option for those that want to be close to sin city but without the noise and hustle and bustle.

It is off the major baht bus routes so a scooter is probably required although depending on where you lived in Cosy Beach you could walk up the road and catch a songtaew coming from Jomtien.