Business Group Calls for 5-Year Professional Visas for Expats

webfact

Makes sense, encouraging more under 50s and digital nomads to base themselves in Thailand would be a positive for the economy.

Makes sense

...and that is exactly the reason why it won't work here. It needs to make Thai sense which is slightly different.

Broad open question: Why under 50s?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Highly skilled professionals. Numerous expats working at a Cafe..... Yes, defined as any foreigner with a laptop and a personal website .

If they manage to make living with a laptop, why aren't they professionals? I realize it pains those who have slaved away for years, but that something they did wrong, they should have developed the skill to make money sitting in cafe with a laptop. Slaving away whole life, 40 years and waiting for retirement at age of 65 can easily easily make one resent a 25 year old, whose sitting on a beach in South East Asia after his 30 minute work day in a cafe is finished.

Yeah sure,millionaires all of them.They will still be grafting away,where as a real worker,getting real western money and getting super and medical benefits,will retire from the rat race early and have real money to spend,if he/she is smart.At the age of 38,i decided to go home and put in the hard yards to set my future up.Mates that decided to hang in Thailand and enjoy the good life are drunkards now with not a pot to piss in.Drinking lao khao <deleted>,can't even remember the good times.Working in the west was boring as bat shit but it paid off.

The vast majority of TVF members need not apply, as they can't even spell.

I fall into this category of highly specialized skills. I have a Thai company BEGGING me to work with them for 75,000 baht a month.

I'd rather be beat in the ass with a mad rattlesnake than take that offer.

i hear ya, i truly do. i was offered 18.000thb/week to work just a couple of hours a day. i kid you not. which is btw just peanuts compared to what i'm "worth" (at home i used to make a basic thai monthly salary per HOUR as a self-employed)... i wasn't interested either, although i admit i did ask TVF what my eventual "advantages" would have been accepting a job here. anyway, meanwhile i left LOS and have enjoyed eastern europe (a lot of potential!), italy (i go for food and culture only) and south america (nature à gogo). i will go back to LOS a couple of times each year for r&r (ie. nature, food, book+hammock) but that's all i'm willing to do in/for (current) thailand. great country, great people, lousy "leadership", yellow or red, same same.

Don't suppose you could have worked a few weeks and donated the money to a good cause/charity.

They didn't say they'd give them 5-year visas either.

But I realize for some the interpretation of any ruling or statute is the 'me too' principle: Any statute or regulation should be interpreted to include me in the most favorable manner.

Just the ability to stay here is fine, nomads don't expect a 5 year visa.

The 'me too' principle also applies to those that don't like other westerners coming to Thailand, because they want to feel special.

I don't give a sh*&^t what you do . I stay here in Thailand because the Bureau of Immigration now accepts my affidavit for extension of stay as being truthful in all respects. When people routinely make written declarations on Thai Government documents that are not truthful in all respects, that goes to possibly putting my declaration in jeopardy. That's why I care what goes on with the digital nomad crowd and for no other reason.

That goes for persons making false statements on their affidavits for extensions as well but that is a different topic.

Not really,your next step would be to prove you have the necessary funds,like the rest of us.Still easy.

Makes sense, encouraging more under 50s and digital nomads to base themselves in Thailand would be a positive for the economy.

Anything that bring in more under 50 year old expats to live in Bangkok is a good thing. Especially as under 50's the demographics won't be just men.

We need more young western women here. I have an amazing girlfriend but I really miss having large numbers of western female friends.

if you dont like it, move

on second thought, move anyway

Edited by fey

I fall into this category of highly specialized skills. I have a Thai company BEGGING me to work with them for 75,000 baht a month.

i hear ya, i truly do. i was offered 18.000thb/week to work just a couple of hours a day. i kid you not. which is btw just peanuts compared to what i'm "worth" (at home i used to make a basic thai monthly salary per HOUR as a self-employed)... i wasn't interested either, although i admit i did ask TVF what my eventual "advantages" would have been accepting a job here. anyway, meanwhile i left LOS and have enjoyed eastern europe (a lot of potential!), italy (i go for food and culture only) and south america (nature à gogo). i will go back to LOS a couple of times each year for r&r (ie. nature, food, book+hammock) but that's all i'm willing to do in/for (current) thailand. great country, great people, lousy "leadership", yellow or red, same same.

Don't suppose you could have worked a few weeks and donated the money to a good cause/charity.

$300USD an hour is an impressive number stickylies. You must be minted.

Dream on it ain't going to happen.

Example Conflict of law:

Because I have a Thai wife and children, The Immigration Act allows me to stay here to support them..... (for one year..... next year i have to prove again that i have Thai children and wife)

Conflict...The Labour Act says I cannot work..... I need to apply for special permission to only be able to work certain jobs only. So if my family starve I can't drive a taxi to feed them while i am in between rare foreigner permitted jobs.

Very rarely is there a country that has it written into law the fact that their own nationals are too stupid to compete with foreigners. One only need to read the alien working act to see numerous samples of this. So how will Thailand ever progress? It will always remain controlled by the Japanese, Chinese, Foreign educated Thais and bullying of henchmen.

Edited by asean

Anything that bring in more under 50 year old expats to live in Bangkok is a good thing. Especially as under 50's the demographics won't be just men.

We need more young western women here. I have an amazing girlfriend but I really miss having large numbers of western female friends.

if you dont like it, move

on second thought, move anyway

Thanks, but I do like it here and I'm staying much longer (marriage, kids etc)

I would just like to see more younger expats living in Bangkok and not just more blokes.

However, this is s step into the right direction to provide foreigners with visa and work permit that is necessary to attract foreigners to come and work here as this country needs professional and high qualified managers to teach how to run the business....as even high qualified thais are not able to do a proper job in the way western foreigners are used to work and run a business! And Thailand must and needs to compete with other asian countries and sure with western countries and businesses!

I hope this will also apply to highly educated professionals who are here on annual 'retirement' visas .. we may have much to offer on a voluntary basis, but are ignored.

A few Thais have asked me to help train young lads in a few skills.I would gladly do it,but once i explain the repercussions of this they are amazed and don't think it is right.I assure them it is.

< snip >

I don't give a sh*&^t what you do . I stay here in Thailand because the Bureau of Immigration now accepts my affidavit for extension of stay as being truthful in all respects. When people routinely make written declarations on Thai Government documents that are not truthful in all respects, that goes to possibly putting my declaration in jeopardy. That's why I care what goes on with the digital nomad crowd and for no other reason.

That goes for persons making false statements on their affidavits for extensions as well but that is a different topic.

Not really,your next step would be to prove you have the necessary funds,like the rest of us.Still easy.

No, not easy. It is US State Department policy that nowhere in the world will a US Embassy/Consulate verify or certify the authenticity of any document submitted to it. So the next step for a Yank would be 800K in baht in a Thai bank account.

BTW that includes any document originally issued by the US Government itself.

Edited by JLCrab

Makes sense

...and that is exactly the reason why it won't work here. It needs to make Thai sense which is slightly different.

Because I'm under 50.

I have no issue with older guys but the ones I've met in Bangkok typically don't want to go to the type of bars and clubs I like to go, which makes adding them as a close friend a bit pointless.

I meet and chat to older blokes all the time when I'm in certain places, but I don't form full on friendships with them where I'd call them and say let's go out for cocktails in Thonglor or let's check out Maggie Choo's tonight, because they just don't fit into that scene or lifestyle.

The reason I usually hear when I suggest those places is either "there's no bar girls.... why would you want to go there" or "I'm not going to that stuck up place, it's full of snobs"

Well duh!! That is why I am going to those places.

Highly specialized skills for $24,000 a year? That's cute

Makes sense

Because I'm under 50.

I have no issue with older guys but the ones I've met in Bangkok typically don't want to go to the type of bars and clubs I like to go, which makes adding them as a close friend a bit pointless.

I meet and chat to older blokes all the time when I'm in certain places, but I don't form full on friendships with them where I'd call them and say let's go out for cocktails in Thonglor or let's check out Maggie Choo's tonight, because they just don't fit into that scene or lifestyle.

The reason I usually hear when I suggest those places is either "there's no bar girls.... why would you want to go there" or "I'm not going to that stuck up place, it's full of snobs"

You desperately need to expand your .....

I'd have thought the proper tense would have been beaten but you're the only self declared genius in the room so I'll have to defer.

So, where's the lobby for Expats Married to Thai National Women and Retired Expats Living In Thailand, both groups which I'm sure dump more money into the economy that their middle-class Thai counterparts. No voice for us. Surprise!

Here's how Thais think: "If we no make you come to Immigration every year to extend visa, and we no make you do 90 day report, Thai Immigration need less people, Thai people lose job. No good."

Which is the exact reason a 5-Year Professional Visa of Expats will never get wings either.

In the case of 'digital nomads' it would only make sense if they had a work permit and paid taxes. Otherwise their only contribution is to rent, restaurants and of course coffee bars - which makes them no more than tourists.

Because I'm under 50.

You desperately need to expand your .....

Expand my what exactly?

Makes sense

Because I'm under 50.

Who are you praying to every night for the mercy not to be older when you wake up? Or should I guess the answer from your member name? Or maybe from the photo- a bold guy under 50 wearing shades in a bar?

Edited by Lupatria

Makes sense

Because I'm under 50.

You like hanging with snobs, do you?

One can argue that visa policy for ex-pats in general should be liberalized. As long as we can prove we have the cash, and are a benefit to Thai society, why not? A lot of us are pumping significant amount of cash into the local economy. It would be a proactive policy. But, since when is any government in Thailand proactive, visionary, forward thinking, or wise?

Because I'm under 50.

Who are you praying for every night for the mercy not to be older when you wake up? Or should I guess the answer from your member name?

Carefully read what I wrote. It is not an age thing, it's a class thing.

The typical retired British bloke living in Bangkok is 'dyed in the wool' working class.

I'm 48, I know I'm going to get older.

But I look, feel and act like someone in their late 30's. I'm public school educated, I've been an expat brat all my life (and proud of it!) and although I don't have a problem with anyone regardless of where they are from, if you read my post I said that when I suggest places to go out that I like, the average older retired Brit turns up their nose because the places don't feature bar girls for them to talk to and/or they think the people there are stuck up snobs.

It seems to be a thing with older working class blokes, they don't want to mix with anyone they think is stuck up.

Younger working class people don't care, they are happy to mix with people from any level of society.

Probably because the whole notion of "its good to be working class" that the older generation still believe is slowly dying out.

IF just to be for a couple of years fair enough,, the most bothering headache is the 90 days reporting,,

what is really the wisdom that will bring any benefits by creating such long queues reporting their staying every 90 days??

IF just to be for a couple of years fair enough,, the most bothering headache is the 90 days reporting,,

what is really the wisdom that will bring any benefits by creating such long queues reporting their staying every 90 days??

Take a few minutes to do from the comfort of my office chair. Not what I would call a bothering headache.

I wonder what would fall under highly skilled. Would a managing director be in highly skilled category?

Then visa is only half of the issue, how about wort permits for 5 years as well.

Call me skeptical, but I don't think it will happen. Would be too convenient.

This visa could be misconstrued as a call for help and well Thai's don't need any. They are world leaders in everything well almost.

Making sense in your mind makes sense but in Thailand well its nonsense. I listen to all the government numbers and the economy is in runaway mode.

Oh, the irony ! I'd rather be bit in the ass by a rattlesnake.

Yeah thats jaywalker