What destination flights are avalible from Battambang airport?

Sandman77

Soon I have to make a visa run , and plan later fly to Saigon the embassy is Im Battambang , but not sure flights avalible from there? Or I have to go back to siem reap? How long is waiting time for vietnam visa on same day?

Thx for info!

There are none. You'll have to go to Siem Reap from where there are flights to Ho Chi Minh.

If you're not in such a rush, there are also daily bus services (Mai Linh is one such company) connecting Siem Reap and Ho Chi Minh via Phnom Penh (no need to change buses). Or since there are a couple of dozen services operated by various companies from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh you could also catch a minivan to PP, followed by changing to a Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) bound bus service from there. It's all doable within a day if you leave Siem Reap early enough.

An alternative is to simply make a beeline from Battambang straight to Phnom Penh and catch a bus bound for Ho Chi Minh from there; backtracking via Siem Reap will only waste time and money.

In most cases, you could get a Vietnam visa within 10-30 minutes if you pay an extra $10. Now I haven't applied at Battambang before, but since Phnom Penh offers a fast track service (which I have used a couple of times) and so does Sihanoukville, not to mention all the Viet consulates in Laos, I can't imagine a quiet consulate like Battambang wouldn't.

No flights out of Battambang. You'd be better off doing your Vietnam visa through a travel agent in Siem Reap - yes, it costs extra but not as much as wasting a day travelling to Battambang and back. Though Battambang is genuinely lovely - worth seeing and won't take more than a day or two to see.

But yes, you'd need to return to Siem Reap or head to Bangkok to fly to Vietnam after visiting Battambang.

• 3 weeks later...

No flights out of Battambang. You'd be better off doing your Vietnam visa through a travel agent in Siem Reap - yes, it costs extra but not as much as wasting a day travelling to Battambang and back. Though Battambang is genuinely lovely - worth seeing and won't take more than a day or two to see.

But yes, you'd need to return to Siem Reap or head to Bangkok to fly to Vietnam after visiting Battambang.

Traveling back to Bangkok to head east to Vietnam would be a ridiculous waste of time and money. There are numerous flights out of Siem Reap and also Phnom Penh. However, by the time you wait for the plane to leave you could already be in Ho Chi Minh just by catching a bus. Or a taxi to Phnom Penh then a bus. The bus service from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh now takes around 30 minutes less than it used to since the opening of the Mekong River bridge at Neak Luong. From Battambang to Ho Chi Minh can easily be done in under a day.

Traveling back to Bangkok to head east to Vietnam would be a ridiculous waste of time and money. There are numerous flights out of Siem Reap and also Phnom Penh. However, by the time you wait for the plane to leave you could already be in Ho Chi Minh just by catching a bus. Or a taxi to Phnom Penh then a bus. The bus service from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh now takes around 30 minutes less than it used to since the opening of the Mekong River bridge at Neak Luong. From Battambang to Ho Chi Minh can easily be done in under a day.

It might be a ridiculous waste of time to go to Bangkok to fly but it is much cheaper than flying from Siem Reap thanks to budget airline availability. The bus from SR to PP is about the most miserable experience in Asia and worth avoiding - same for taxis. Better to fly to PP on Basaka (or other budget airline). The bus journey from PP to HCMC is quite nice and the border is one hundred million times better than Poipet but it is, as with all bus journeys in Cambodia and Vietnam, incredibly long for the tiny distance you are travelling.

It might be a ridiculous waste of time to go to Bangkok to fly but it is much cheaper than flying from Siem Reap thanks to budget airline availability. The bus from SR to PP is about the most miserable experience in Asia and worth avoiding - same for taxis. Better to fly to PP on Basaka (or other budget airline). The bus journey from PP to HCMC is quite nice and the border is one hundred million times better than Poipet but it is, as with all bus journeys in Cambodia and Vietnam, incredibly long for the tiny distance you are travelling.

​It will take far longer to travel back to Bangkok from Siem Reap, than from Battambang (or Siem Reap) to Phnom Penh. And by the time you've shelled out for a bus to Bangkok, or a taxi to Poipet and then some other transport (van or bus to Bangkok) plus taxi back to the airport, any cost savings compared to flying from Siem Reap will have been eroded.

Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh by bus is now 5 to 5.5 hours, used to be 6. It may only be 240km, but it doesn't take "incredibly long" and it includes up to an hour spent at the border including a meal stop (20-30 mins for the meal stop and 30 mins at the border).

Unless you're a cheap Charlie, a taxi from either Battambang or Siem Reap to Phnom Penh shouldn't cost all the world and you can be in Phnom Penh in around 3.5-4 hours from Battambang, 4-5 from Siem Reap. I've had drivers who've brought me from Battambang to Phnom Penh in as little as 2h45m, though 3.5 hours is more realistic.

From Siem Reap to Bangkok will take 7-8 hours in the direct bus, and a similar amount of time if you catch a taxi to Poipet, where it could take you an hour before you are on the Thai side and from there it's still around 4 hours to Suvarnabhumi airport, assuming you catch the Aran-Suvarnabhumi bus (which doesn't even leave from Rong Kluea market but from the bus station 6km away), otherwise the minivans don't even go that way but will take you to Bang Na Trat road or Rama 9, bypassing the airport altogether.

All in all, a poor suggestion. Travelling directly eastward to Vietnam, whether by plane, bus or taxi, or a combination thereof is the way to go. Now if the OP were flying to Singapore or Manila, that would be a different story (even with direct flights from Cambodia) - going to Bangkok would make sense.

​It will take far longer to travel back to Bangkok from Siem Reap, than from Battambang (or Siem Reap) to Phnom Penh. And by the time you've shelled out for a bus to Bangkok, or a taxi to Poipet and then some other transport (van or bus to Bangkok) plus taxi back to the airport, any cost savings compared to flying from Siem Reap will have been eroded.

Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh by bus is now 5 to 5.5 hours, used to be 6. It may only be 240km, but it doesn't take "incredibly long" and it includes up to an hour spent at the border including a meal stop (20-30 mins for the meal stop and 30 mins at the border).

Unless you're a cheap Charlie, a taxi from either Battambang or Siem Reap to Phnom Penh shouldn't cost all the world and you can be in Phnom Penh in around 3.5-4 hours from Battambang, 4-5 from Siem Reap. I've had drivers who've brought me from Battambang to Phnom Penh in as little as 2h45m, though 3.5 hours is more realistic.

From Siem Reap to Bangkok will take 7-8 hours in the direct bus, and a similar amount of time if you catch a taxi to Poipet, where it could take you an hour before you are on the Thai side and from there it's still around 4 hours to Suvarnabhumi airport, assuming you catch the Aran-Suvarnabhumi bus (which doesn't even leave from Rong Kluea market but from the bus station 6km away), otherwise the minivans don't even go that way but will take you to Bang Na Trat road or Rama 9, bypassing the airport altogether.

All in all, a poor suggestion. Travelling directly eastward to Vietnam, whether by plane, bus or taxi, or a combination thereof is the way to go. Now if the OP were flying to Singapore or Manila, that would be a different story (even with direct flights from Cambodia) - going to Bangkok would make sense.

I have done Siem Reap to Bangkok (using taxis) on a regular basis in 5 hours (and occasionally less). It's a much better journey than Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. The airport assuming you fly from Survanabhumi is actually less far than Bangkok central too.

Me, I'd fly from Siem Reap because costs are not an issue. I would never catch another bus in Cambodia and will catch taxis only when flying is impractical (for example when moving large volumes of stuff - my last flight from Bangkok was business class with 60Kg of luggage, I couldn't fly it out of Siem Reap though because the excess baggage would have been crippling and there's no business class from SR to Bangkok), so I took a taxi to Bangkok and the airport.

5 and a half hours plus the border is not a reasonable time to travel 240 km. I've done PP to HCMC on a bus and the actual time taken was closer to 8 hours. Not as bad as the bus from SR to Bangkok which took more than 14 hours mind you. Basically **** using a bus in Cambodia. Though I liked the trip across the Mekong on a bus that was pleasant but not worth the other 8 hours of being on a bus. I would rather shoot myself than go on a bus from SR to PP or from Battambang to PP.

However, the OP asked about Bangkok and it is a viable alternative to going to PP. It's 5 hours from SR to Bangkok airport and then a 2 hour flight to HCMC. That's 7 hours. It's 4-5 hours from SR to PP in a taxi or a 1 hour flight. Then it's 5-8 hours on a bus. That's 6 - 13 hours of travel time.

I have done Siem Reap to Bangkok (using taxis) on a regular basis in 5 hours (and occasionally less). It's a much better journey than Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. The airport assuming you fly from Survanabhumi is actually less far than Bangkok central too.

Me, I'd fly from Siem Reap because costs are not an issue. I would never catch another bus in Cambodia and will catch taxis only when flying is impractical (for example when moving large volumes of stuff - my last flight from Bangkok was business class with 60Kg of luggage, I couldn't fly it out of Siem Reap though because the excess baggage would have been crippling and there's no business class from SR to Bangkok), so I took a taxi to Bangkok and the airport.

5 and a half hours plus the border is not a reasonable time to travel 240 km. I've done PP to HCMC on a bus and the actual time taken was closer to 8 hours. Not as bad as the bus from SR to Bangkok which took more than 14 hours mind you. Basically **** using a bus in Cambodia. Though I liked the trip across the Mekong on a bus that was pleasant but not worth the other 8 hours of being on a bus. I would rather shoot myself than go on a bus from SR to PP or from Battambang to PP.

However, the OP asked about Bangkok and it is a viable alternative to going to PP. It's 5 hours from SR to Bangkok airport and then a 2 hour flight to HCMC. That's 7 hours. It's 4-5 hours from SR to PP in a taxi or a 1 hour flight. Then it's 5-8 hours on a bus. That's 6 - 13 hours of travel time.

Well actually it's 5.5 hours including the border from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh by bus (in the past it was always more or less 6 and never even close to 8) and as for Siem Reap to Bangkok, it can take a lot more than just 5 hours - even as much as 8 - as they say traffic is a bitch in Thailand and it's way worse and more unpredictable than Ho Chi Minh. Only if you've got a speeding driver to Poipet, literally run across the border with all your luggage, with no else crossing at the same time as you and find another maniac driver (this time on the Thai side) who floors it at 130km/h or more will you make it to say Suvarnabhumi in 5 hours but that's if you're willing to take all those risks. 6-7 hours is more realistic and then if you're flying out of Don Muang add another hour or more to the total travel time.

As previously mentioned, a direct bus from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh already exists and while it's a fairly lengthy journey, you don't have to change buses - hence it's an option for those who want to save money. I would imagine the journey takes around 10-12 hours including a short stop in Phnom Penh and probably again at the border for a meal and the border crossing formalities.

If you wanted to detour via Bangkok from Siem Reap in order to get to Ho Chi Minh, the only way that would make sense to me is to fly from Siem Reap to BKK then from BKK to Ho Chi Minh.

BKK to Saigon is a one hour flight.