1st SETV - No hotel - staying in family home Thail

Hello

I am flying in from Cambodia on my first Single Entry Tourist Visa for Thailand, which although is not in my hands yet, will be shortly.

I have a little baby in Thailand, and up to now I have always entered on visa exempt and left within the 30 days. Usually 3 or 4 times a year. The SETV allows me more time.

If I am asked why I don't have a hotel booked, I hope it is fine to be straightforward and tell them my circumstances? Baby etc...obv no work...which is true..... I will be living in my GF place. Or does that complicate things? I also have a Thai bank account so wont be carrying a load of baht on me, but can prove I have funds.....again..should I keep that quiet? Should I just say tourist....and that I intend to get a hotel there...if they ask...to keep it simple?

(the only thing I have ever been asked before is whether I had luggage or not, and then they wanted to see the barcode receipts)

I understand that in the future the METV is an option, which I will have to balance with my work commitments in Europe.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

• Keep it simple. Just use your girlfriends address.
  • You are supposed to carry 20k in cash. The IO will probably not ask about this. If they do then showing a Thai bank book won't help.

p.s. As you have a baby you can extend your 60 day tourist visa entry, or a 30 day visa exempt entry, by 60 days at an immigration office for the reason of visiting your child (1,900 baht).

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I will take the advice, and I hope no problems.

If I am understanding therefore, I could extend the 60 day visa by another 60 days to make 120 days. 3 further questions therefore...regarding extending...

1. I guess I would need to take the baby's birth cert (the mother's id too?) to an immigration office - I would have to prove it obviously
  2. I assume there's such an immigration office in Chiang Mai, as I wouldn't be able to do it on entry because I don't have the documents on me.
  3. How many times could I expect to do this per year, would 2 be ok? (The most time I would be able to spend per year would be 6 months anyway, and more than 3 visas equates to a year?)

Once again thanks for the invaluable help

I will take the advice, and I hope no problems.

If I am understanding therefore, I could extend the 60 day visa by another 60 days to make 120 days. 3 further questions therefore...regarding extending...

1. I guess I would need to take the baby's birth cert (the mother's id too?) to an immigration office - I would have to prove it obviously
  2. I assume there's such an immigration office in Chiang Mai, as I wouldn't be able to do it on entry because I don't have the documents on me.
  3. How many times could I expect to do this per year, would 2 be ok? (The most time I would be able to spend per year would be 6 months anyway, and more than 3 visas equates to a year?)

Once again thanks for the invaluable help

1. You can get a 60 day extension to visit your baby. You will need their birth certificate with you shown as their father plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry. You will need to have the baby with you when apply and their mother. They may also want a copy of her ID card and house book. You will also need proof of residence.

2. You can apply for it at the immigration office near the airport in Chiang Mai. No extension can applied for on entry to the country.

3. You can only apply for one extension per entry. To get another one you would need a new visa entry or a visa exempt entry.

You can apply for single entry non-o visa for being the parent of a Thai that would allow a 90 day entry.

• Like 1

Your best visa option would be a multiple entry non immigrant 'O' for the purpose of visiting your child. It's not so easy to get these days but might be available from your home country or a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country to Thailand.

That visa would enable you to come and go as often as you want for 1 year. Each entry is granted a 90 day permit to stay and can be extended by 60 days. Or a border hop at the end of 90 days would give you a new 90 day entry. With planning you can utilise this visa for nearly 17 months.

Edited by elviajero

Your best visa option would be a multiple entry non immigrant 'O' for the purpose of visiting your child. It's not so easy to get these days but might be available from your home country or a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country to Thailand.

That visa would enable you to come and go as often as you want for 1 year. Each entry is granted a 90 day permit to stay and can be extended by 60 days. Or a border hop at the end of 90 days would give you a new 90 day entry. With planning you can utilise this visa for nearly 17 months.

could I get such a visa in Savannaketh ?

what financial proof would be needed ??

You might be able to.

As far as I am aware no financial proof is needed but 400,000 Bht might be required

• If you are the legal father and your child and their mother are with you then Savannakhet, reportedly, will issue a multiple entry visa without any financial proof.
  • Penang, Malaysia will reportedly issue a multiple entry visa if you can show at least 100k baht equivalent in a bank account. Just being named on the birth certificate is sufficient and the mother and your child do not need to be present.

If you don't plan to marry the mother of your child anytime soon you should legalise (if you haven't already) your parenthood. That will then give you more options for long term stays in Thailand.

You could get one in Savannakhet with no financial proof if your child and their mother is with you when you apply for the visa to demonstrate you are living together as a family (de facto marriage).

Penang will do one with 100k baht without the family being with you.

Go to Penang, the amount is not specified but I have done it with as little as 130k in the account. They will only accept the real bankbook and it must be within a few days of last update. They have also accepted a combination of corporate account books and personal bank books but I would make sure primary Thai account is fairly well padded.

I have always used an agent. Never been denied. (Knock wood).

• If you are the legal father and your child and their mother are with you then Savannakhet, reportedly, will issue a multiple entry visa without any financial proof.
  • Penang, Malaysia will reportedly issue a multiple entry visa if you can show at least 100k baht equivalent in a bank account. Just being named on the birth certificate is sufficient and the mother and your child do not need to be present.

If you don't plan to marry the mother of your child anytime soon you should legalise (if you haven't already) your parenthood. That will then give you more options for long term stays in Thailand.

thanks for the info,

have still 1 year,

marriage not possible,

fatherhood already legaliced,

have managed also the yellow house book within home of my family,

even not yet full time living in Thailand;

( will not have the 800k for retirement,

and dont want block 400k on bank,

and many reports say, difficult to get the extension on Dependance with 400k;

Immigration forcing retirement and 800k;

Dont have information about this, how is it in CHW ??

Thanks

You could get one in Savannakhet with no financial proof if your child and their mother is with you when you apply for the visa to demonstrate you are living together as a family (de facto marriage).

Penang will do one with 100k baht without the family being with you.

thanks for the helpfull info UbonJoe !

thanks for the info,

have still 1 year,

marriage not possible,

fatherhood already legaliced,

have managed also the yellow house book within home of my family,

even not yet full time living in Thailand;

( will not have the 800k for retirement,

and dont want block 400k on bank,

and many reports say, difficult to get the extension on Dependance with 400k;

Immigration forcing retirement and 800k;

Dont have information about this, how is it in CHW ??

Thanks

You should have no problem getting an extension of stay as a parent with 400k in the bank. The funds only need to be in the bank on the day you apply for the extension and during the 30 day consideration period.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. I am too young for a retirement visa and will need to be the options you have provided I think.

I know this has gone off topic slightly so apologies but.....another question therefore.....

We have no plans to get married. However, in terms of "legalising", all we have done so far is have the birth certificate registered in Thailand with both parents name on. Done in Thai, and with my name and passport formally translated by an approved agency. Mother is Thai citizen. Furthermore we have had that translated to English and stamped by the Consulate. Is that sufficient for being "legal" or is there something more.

I hope to use these documents for her British passport (I understand this can now all be done within the UK..but I guess that is another topic once more!)

As you will read in the link given by ubonjoe being named on the birth certificate alone does not give you any parental rights under Thai law. It is in yours and the babies interest that you legitimise your parenthood asap. Not only will it help you stay longer in Thailand, but should you separate from the mother in the future you will have a say in your babies future. I'm sure you are in a stable long term relationship but trying to get parental rights without the mothers help can be messy. If you marry you will automatically gain parental rights.

As long as you have an address to put on the arrival card you will not have a problem.

I've previously just put the province in the address field and not had a problem. That, of course, is not to say that it would work every time, anyway, I know where I live now!

As long as you have an address to put on the arrival card you will not have a problem.

I've previously just put the province in the address field and not had a problem. That, of course, is not to say that it would work every time, anyway, I know where I live now!
I went through Suvarnabhumi today (the 4th) and they were being pretty strict on addresses. I overheard a few exchanges and they were NOT accepting 'Sukhumvit' or 'Khao San' for example, so I doubt they would currently take kindly to 'My Wife/Gf, Buri Ram' at the moment. Of course it might be all different tomorrow but it could be prudent to bear this in mind for at least the time being...