Can I get back in to Thailand?

I have been in Thailand for 5 years on tourist visas and border crossings. Very thick passport.

Due to health issues I did not get a new passport last month and my entry stamp expires 8 March (an extension from a 30-day stamp at border.) Normally I do everything in Vientianne, Nong Kai, and a little border crossing down in Cambodia.

I am going to be in Roi Et, so will be crossing at Savannakhet. I would love a tourist visa but would settle for a border stamp - enough time for a new passport.

I am worried that I may have used up ALL options of borders and tourist visas. There isn't time for the student visa I want.

I need advice!

How many visas do you have from Vientiane and are they back to back?

Savannakhet is normally an easy place to get a tourist visa.

You should not have a problem getting a visa exempt entry if you are unable to get the visa. The crossings to Laos are easier than some of the crossings to Cambodia.

• Like 1

All last year was double entry tourist visas with extensions. 5 years of tourist visas... have to count them. Lots of border crossings for 30-day stamps, ... Just gonna have to hope. My normal visa run operator says I am best off just bordering where he goes. Tiny crossing. Worst will happen is I get a 7 day stamp then go to embassy for new passport.

Getting a new passport will help for getting tourist visas. But not for immigration's record of entries. They will link your previous entries on your old passport with your new one the first time you enter the country with it.

Well, I just need to get out by 8th, get back in, and get my Ed visa because living here I want to learn the language.

But, can you be more specific what that means "record of entries" and what that count does for border runs, visas, etc?

See, I am 45 and on a pension. Too young for retirement visa. Too sick to always go to school. I am in a mucky area of visa regulations just trying to get my next 5 years so I can then get a retirement visa.

What if I go to USA and get a new passport, a multi-entry visa from Thai consolate, and come back? Am I then essentially a new person in the Thai immigration computers?

Well, I just need to get out by 8th, get back in, and get my Ed visa because living here I want to learn the language.

But, can you be more specific what that means "record of entries" and what that count does for border runs, visas, etc?

See, I am 45 and on a pension. Too young for retirement visa. Too sick to always go to school. I am in a mucky area of visa regulations just trying to get my next 5 years so I can then get a retirement visa.

What if I go to USA and get a new passport, a multi-entry visa from Thai consolate, and come back? Am I then essentially a new person in the Thai immigration computers?

You have been here for 5 years, plenty of time for an Ed. visa and you only want to learn the language now?

They combine you old and new passport history that is in their data base. It is all entries, departures and etc.

Getting a new passport in the states would make no difference.

Getting a multiple entry tourist visa would be a good idea though.

• Like 1

So... what is the best strategy for a guy like me who is disabled, sick a lot, wants to go to school but would miss a lot of classes (Parkinson's disease), ... How can I buy 5 more years here before retirement visa?

Also, once I have the new passport, how much time is that going to get me? Just 3 or 4 SETV and zero visa exempts?

They combine you old and new passport history that is in their data base. It is all entries, departures and etc.

Would he qualify for a METV from the US even though he is not employed?

And does he have the funds in a US bank to meet that requirement?

Just asking.

Would he qualify for a METV from the US even though he is not employed?

And does he have the funds in a US bank to meet that requirement?

Just asking.

There have been reports of employment not being required if retired and proof of a pension being accepted instead of money in the bank.

• Like 1

Not everybody meets the Elite visa requirements.

One of the requirements is: "willingness to fork out 500K"

We are not talking about everybody. He's got it. He's suffering. It's the best solution for him.

Well, I can't speak on OP's behalf, so you're right I am only guessing that based on his previous visa exempt history and the fact that he wants to apply for an ED but is short on time, he probably does not meet the requirement I have stated.

But if he does, even better.

IMO, the Elite visa is very poor value for money, you` still have to do these 90 day reports.

IMO, the Elite visa is very poor value for money, you` still have to do these 90 day reports.

That is just your opinion which is not shared by the many who have taken advantage of the Elite visa.

That is just your opinion which is not shared by the many who have taken advantage of the Elite visa.

That is what Thaivisa is all about, opinions. Feel free to disagree with me if you wish.

Of course it's not, otherwise they would not have bought the Elite, would they? :)

By the way, I hear the Elite numbers are very dissapointing compared to the forecast....Could it be perhaps because of incorrect pricing? Cos I'm not buying "it's only for a selected few" line, otherwise why would they be dissapointed about selling just a few? They wanted "the more the better", no?

Edited by lkv

At least they do them for you, so hardly a burden.

Not funds but good income - highest SSDI allowed

buy the elite card,

you get the 5 years you need, without hassle ,

propable best in your health situation;

Ummm... isn't that a huge chunk of change? Maybe I forgot to mention I am on a disability pension.

We are not talking about everybody. He's got it. He's suffering. It's the best solution for him.

It's the best solution, IF he have 500K baht spare money, which he not use and is willing to spend.

I'm not sure if the OP has any ties to Thailand, but if you do struggle to get a visa, maybe spending some time outside LOS will give you more of a chance if you have a break between entries?

I have only used tourist visas and visa exempts so very very far from being an expert.

Ubonjoe is regarded as the font of all knowledge with visas, he has helped many including me, same with elvajiro.

Good luck

Ties, yeah... to me this IS home. My life is here. I olan to be here the rest of my life, but I don't own property or condo. Just a nice, but very inexpensive room.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the OP has any ties to Thailand, but if you do struggle to get a visa, maybe spending some time outside LOS will give you more of a chance if you have a break between entries?

I have only used tourist visas and visa exempts so very very far from being an expert.

Ubonjoe is regarded as the font of all knowledge with visas, he has helped many including me, same with elvajiro.

Good luck

Ties, yeah... to me this IS home. My life is here. I olan to be here the rest of my life, but I don't own property or condo. Just a nice, but very inexpensive room.
Hmmm I have a feeling you will have problems trying to stay until retirement. But as I say, best listen to the experts. My apologies for thinking you were a newbie! I replied before noticing you have more posts than me haha! So of course you will know who the experts are

Good luck

All you have to do is find a visa which will allow you to stay which at 45 will not be easy.

As you know living in Thailand on the back of tourist and visa exempt entries is becoming increasingly difficult.

An Ed visa will also only provide a temporary solution and do not forget that those with Ed visas are under close surveillance. The days of "forgetting" to attend classes have long gone.

I am seriously all for 5 years of intensive Thai language and culture study as long as I can work around my Parkinson's disease. And, hey, if I have to I will build a tiny boat for ocean travel and see the world some more again that way and come back.

I guess what I don't get is why doesn't Thailand (and other countries) WANT and try to attract people like me who aren't going to steal jobs because we have a pension, we ARE going to spend every baht we get every month here, etc. Why does retirement have to be an age? And why pick 50? Why not if can show proof of PENSION can have a pensioner's visa? =) Rant done. Just frustrated.