Dash Cam

sharktooth

Does anyone use one here? Probably unnecessary 99.9% of the time, but come that faithful day probably something that could come in very, very useful.

If you have one, have you ever had to use it, what model do you have, where did you get it and what did you pay for it.

Cheers

I have one that sticks on the mirror, thus not really visible from outside (theft). Switches automatically on when starting the car. 2 cams, one to the front, one to the side window for the occasional BiB experience :). Was intended for back and forth but in a pickup you see nothing from the back.

Haven't needed it yet, but you never know. Small investment for what trouble and money it can eventually save you. I consider this essential.

With all those chinese drivers I expected lots of Chiang Mai road movies on Youtube by now. The russian dashcam movies are the most funny still.

You also have android rear mirrors combining the cam with a route planner.

Got one from Panthip, bottom of escalators, pretty girl.

Model - Chinese, no idea

Camera - 5MP, just clear enough to pick out number plates.

Cost - 1500B

Used - once, proved I was at fault.

I always get waved through checkpoints now. Previously was often stopped and asked for licence.

Have had the occasional clip I could upload to Youtube, but its always got me screaming abuse and I can't figure out how to disable sound.

Of the models mentioned, what is the battery life like? Not keen on having cables run all over the dash from a window mount to the fag lighter.

That's how they work - off the accessory circuit so it comes on and off with the ignition key.

Tucking the wire behind and under the trim is not difficult and if you want to eliminate using the cig plug altogether hard wire directly into the accessory circuit.

DO NOT cut off the cig plug to hard wire, it reduces the voltage from 12v to what the camera uses (5v)

Plenty of previous posts about this on here just do a search.

smile.png

I tried to put a dashcam onto my motocy helmet. Fitting was ok but battery life sux. And Im not keen on running a wire up to the camera, although a few Aussies probably wish I did. Such is our friendly rivalry off any sports field.

GoPro are probably the choice for stand alone applications...or the Chinese equivalent (Pantip plaza or from Lazada)

Edited by CMKiwi

Dashcam should be a the first thing you fit to your car. If I'd had mine when the idiot off duty policeman drove into the crossroad in front of me without looking, I would be better than 7,000 in pocket. Although the witnesses told us that he was at fault none was prepared to argue with the policeman so I reluctantly settled for no fault and it ended up costing 5k for the deductible and 2k more on my renewal premium. The camera now makes me a lot more confident that I won't be caught in that trap again - I doubt we'd even have had to replay the video as he knew he was bluffing from the start.

Dashcamtalk seems to be one of the best sources for info - I bought the GW1 from OK Computer in Computer Plaza (round the back where the Icon Square vendors have re-located) verified it was the genuine model and they installed it in about 15 minutes. Cost 1700 baht including an 8Gb micro SD card that records 85 minutes of video before starting to overwrite.

G1W-Dashboard-Camera.jpg

They class it as not very discreet , but I don't think that's much of a factor here since car crime is minimal and may even be an advantage in some situations.

I tried to put a dashcam onto my motocy helmet. Fitting was ok but battery life sux. And Im not keen on running a wire up to the camera, although a few Aussies probably wish I did. Such is our friendly rivalry off any sports field.

GoPro are probably the choice for stand alone applications...or the Chinese equivalent (Pantip plaza or from Lazada)

Just a thought, how about a power bank in a jacket pocket to keep it going longer?

Dashcam should be a the first thing you fit to your car. If I'd had mine when the idiot off duty policeman drove into the crossroad in front of me without looking, I would be better than 7,000 in pocket. Although the witnesses told us that he was at fault none was prepared to argue with the policeman so I reluctantly settled for no fault and it ended up costing 5k for the deductible and 2k more on my renewal premium. The camera now makes me a lot more confident that I won't be caught in that trap again - I doubt we'd even have had to replay the video as he knew he was bluffing from the start.

Dashcamtalk seems to be one of the best sources for info - I bought the GW1 from OK Computer in Computer Plaza (round the back where the Icon Square vendors have re-located) verified it was the genuine model and they installed it in about 15 minutes. Cost 1700 baht including an 8Gb micro SD card that records 85 minutes of video before starting to overwrite.

G1W-Dashboard-Camera.jpg

They class it as not very discreet , but I don't think that's much of a factor here since car crime is minimal and may even be an advantage in some situations.

Thanks for that mate. Answered all my questions.

I connected mine to the power supply of the mirror (self adjusting something thing) with a small step down power regulator from 12V to 5V in between. Total cost some 2$ and no cables hanging around.

Just a thought, how about a power bank in a jacket pocket to keep it going longer?

That is a very good idea Dellboy.... I may just resurect the dashcam idea after all. Age must be getting to me as I never thought of that as an option.

The wonders of technology huh? Hard to keep up with these things sometimes!

I use a Gateway 0805, a tiny device that will record in super HD and with GPS so that there is a record of speed. I have tried other devices but found they were too much of a distraction and more likely to cause an accident, this one hides behind the rearview mirror and is invisible to the driver under normal circumstances, The only part that is visible is the feed cable which goes straight up and into the roof lining. The feed comes from another power socket mounted behind the dash with a USB power supply. On Super HD onto a 64gb card there is room for more than 8 hours recording. There is a battery which I suspect will not last much beyond 1/2 hour continuous. Its main purpose is to keep the camera on standby as it will switch to record if the car is bumped, in a car park for instance and if selected, to record any movement around the part of the car its covering.

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/

For the crash helmet I use a TomTom Bandit which can record in 4K and has a 3 hour battery life. With only a change of lens cover this camera is waterproof so the battery connections have been made available without leaving any catches open which makes it convenient to add a power bank for continuous use.

Edited by Dellboy218

That looks like a good unit - in fact in was on my list but I couldn't find one in CM and was so pissed off by the cop incident that I didn't want to risk any more waiting! For those interested, the details are here.

Incidentally, a number of cars have a heavily tinted or patterned area just behind the mirror and so your mounting choice may be limited unless you strip off the film. I don't find the camera distracting at all when I'm driving, but maybe for some, I guess.

That looks like a good unit - in fact in was on my list but I couldn't find one in CM and was so pissed off by the cop incident that I didn't want to risk any more waiting! For those interested, the details are here.

Incidentally, a number of cars have a heavily tinted or patterned area just behind the mirror and so your mounting choice may be limited unless you strip off the film. I don't find the camera distracting at all when I'm driving, but maybe for some, I guess.

I certainly found it distracting especially at nightime but that is a personal thing. I do have a film but not a particularly dark one. It is visible on the playback but is not immediately noticeable therefore not a problem. Mine came from Lazada.

I certainly found it distracting especially at nightime but that is a personal thing..
The one I bought has a screensaver which is actually black. So at night if you hit the screensaver, it still records but all images, time stamp and lights switch off.

Good to get one. Once i was turning into a side lane suddenly a guy just threw himself onto the bonnet which made me braked instantly.

Got the fright of my life, but i knew this clown is a scam as i said he jumped onto the bonnet even my car didnt hit him.

He looked at me groaning in pain, I smiled and pointed at dashcam, he quickly got off and walked away.

Well if i do not have the dashcam probably i be couple of thousand bahts poorer. So get one.