Work Visa vs. Spouse Visa: Will the Former Cancel the Latter?

Can anyone please help me with this

I have a spouse visa. Expires August 01 2016. I can stay I think for 90 days after expiry It is easy to obtain annually from a Thai consulate abroad

I have been offered a teaching position starting April 01. Ending July 30. They require that I have a proper visa and work permit. They will provide.

The teaching job ends on July 30 when my non-imm visa and work permit will presumably end. But, I want to stay in Thailand until September

If my work permit and visa expire when I am in Thailand (e.g. July 30) will I have to immediately leave and reapply for a spouse Visa abroad (which I assume will be xxld out when I get a non-immigrant B/work visa?)

Any insights?

Thanks

Thank you again

You can also get an extension of stay based on marriage, which will also allow you to have a work permit. Then if your work finishes it has no effect on your extension of stay.

If you have the money this is a much better choice than getting a Non-B and extension as then the extension is canceled the day your work ends.

Thanks. That was going to be my next question.

As the visa expires on July 15th, if I took a trip and arrived back to Bangkok on, say, July 10th, would I get 1 a final 90 day stay (until Oct 10th in this case)? And if I were to then leave during that final 90 day period, then I'd simply come back on a tourist visa?

Or, I could optionally extend the non-Imm O (spouse visa) as you suggest? Does my wife have to be in Bangkok with me when I make this extension?

Thank you again

add on to the rest already told you

if you want to change the non-o depending on marriage to non-B depending on an employer you are doing something that is totally not needed as other told you.

it can be easy to convert but they will start over with first the 3 month and then the new 1 year visa.

why depend on an employer?

depending on your wife is more secure.

I did the other way around and did ran in to several small solvable issues

non-b to non-o depending on child with Thai nationality.

same non-o only different dependency as you have.

I had to leave the country and go to embassy abroad to cancel the non-b. Reason it was a multiple o

the has to com back on the non-o Depending. and start all over to have the 1 year non-imm o

then something funny happens. they fined me for overstay by violating the 90 day report time for a penalty of 2.000 Thai baht. Which was and is not correct. Not correct because they used the canceled visa for counting thru the 90 day and neglected the entering the country at BKK on the new visa.

I entered by airplane the country and came back by airplane on Aug 28

got temp visa and applied for the new 12 month multi entree non imm o depending visa. that was granted at 5 Oct. meaning 90 days from that time on as the officer at Chian Wattana told me.

So on time to this in December I filled the extension and report of the 90 by registered mail and got it back that I needed to come in person due to violation of the 90 day sta failure reoprty.

Enclosed the proof. The porrof showed overstay based on the old Viisa (non-imm B)

Went to the office in Samut Prakan and even though I showed them the new Visa as well the copy of my application form. Als also showed them proof of report of 90 stay with this visa with the stamp placed on pave under the new visa. So I was not in violation

They just filed the overstay fined 2000 THB, put a stamp in the passport and gave new 90 day notification an did place a reminder on it that the 90 stay report has to be done in the period 15 days before of 7 days after March 28, 2016.

Then they tried to fine me for not reporting using TM28 report of stay I told them I already did and a showed the m the singed proof of address registration I had done a 2 week earlier after returning form another province. Then they told me they had to fine my landlord because they failed to do so and showed them the copy of the confirmation of filing my address of the TM 30 they did use covering the SAME report I had made.

This is what they did and my pointing out to the dates and events did not help.

So whatever you do be smart and play stupid file the 90 stay on time even though they say the new visa started the count and for the moving around and stay on other addresses as well use the tm28.

Soon they will make it work able for all and also have the insight TM28 not work. Till then they have an extra tool.

Thanks. That was going to be my next question.

As the visa expires on July 15th, if I took a trip and arrived back to Bangkok on, say, July 10th, would I get 1 a final 90 day stay (until Oct 10th in this case)? And if I were to then leave during that final 90 day period, then I'd simply come back on a tourist visa?

Or, I could optionally extend the non-Imm O (spouse visa) as you suggest? Does my wife have to be in Bangkok with me when I make this extension?

Thank you again

As long as you do an entry on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get another 90 day entry.

Your wife has to be with you when you apply for the extension at your local immigration office.

You can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa.

Some people have working wives who don't want to have to take a day off work every year and sit in the queue in Immigration to help hubby renew his NON-O. For them a NON-B is better, particularly, if they have a secure job. Which is better depends on your and your wife's circumstances.

Once the non-imm O visa expires (e.g. if I leave Thailand and return sometime during the last 90 day stay), I would then just come in on a tourist visa, is that right?

I will probably make 4-5 trips in and out on a tourist visa before returning to the USA (where the Thai consulate issues a new 1-year non-imm O visa every year with Zero hassle). My wife won't be with me so an extension while in Thailand is not possiibe

you could obtain a re-entry permit to keep the expiry date of the 90 day entry alive.

re the tourist visa do you mean obtain multiple setv, or make 4/5 trips during the 60 day validity of a sigle tourist visa using re-entry permi

you could obtain a multi entry non imm 'o' visa ( thai wife ) from Savannkhet, wiyhout your wife being with you, no financials required

I mean that, after my "o" expires, I would make 4-5 single tourist entries in about two months. Wud that work?

ONE single entry tourist visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate provides an initial 60 day stay which is extendable for 30 days for a total stay of 90 days.

Why would 4/5 such visas be needed in a two month period ?

I mean that, after my "o" expires, I would make 4-5 single tourist entries in about two months. Wud that work?

No, you can not work on tourist entries , your work permit is only valid with non-B or non-O based on family or extensions of it.

My work contract will expire on July 1

My nom-Imm O will expire on July 15th

I will need to make 4-5 trips outside of Thailand between July 15th and Sept 15th

When I return each time I will not be working, not will I have had a chance to expend my non-imm O

I will be a new, annual non-imm O when I return to the USA in late September

====

So my question was: Once my non-imm O expires July 15th and once I no longer need to work in Thailand starting July 15, I will just come and go (4-5 times) with the normal 30 day tourist visas being issued on arrival, is that correct?

I will need to make 4-5 trips outside of Thailand between July 15th and Sept 15th

When I return each time I will not be working, not will I have had a chance to expend my non-imm O

====

So my question was: Once my non-imm O expires July 15th and once I no longer need to work in Thailand starting July 15, I will just come and go (4-5 times) with the normal 30 day tourist visas being issued on arrival, is that correct?

Why don't you go to Savannakhet Laos and get a the multiple entry non-o there. No financial proof would be needed. Or Penang with 100k baht in the bank.

You do not get a 30 day visa on entry. It is a 30 day visa exempt entry. You could do the visa exempt entries without a problem as long as there is some time between the departure and return on them.

====

Do a border run just before 15th july and you will get a fresh 90 day permission to stay stamp, obtain a multi entry re-entry permit from local immigration (3800baht), and you will be good to make as many trips out of the country as you wish.

as ubonjoe posted its visa exempt entries not tourist visas

• Like 1

An Extension of Permission to Stay (one Year) based on being married to a Thai or Working in the Kingdom of Thailand is a completely different entity from a non 'O' or non 'B' visa.

You apply for extensions within Thailand with a valid non immigrant 90 day entry stamp and the correct paperwork, after that yo do not need to leave Thailand for a year, you just do 90 day reporting on line or at you local immigration department.

Such Extensions are applied for under National Police Order 327/2557 at your local Thai Immigration Department.

Why bother with all the border runs you propose when you could well be eligible to get a year extension here in Thailand?

Visas permit you to enter for a fixed period, extensions of permission to stay allow you to stay for an additional period, once you original entry period is used up.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

An Extension of Permission to Stay (one Year) based on being married to a Thai or Working in the Kingdom of Thailand is a completely different entity from a non 'O' or non 'B' visa.

You apply for extensions within Thailand with a valid non immigrant 90 day entry stamp and the correct paperwork, after that yo do not need to leave Thailand for a year, you just do 90 day reporting on line or at you local immigration department.

Such Extensions are applied for under National Police Order 327/2557 at your local Thai Immigration Department.

Why bother with all the border runs you propose when you could well be eligible to get a year extension here in Thailand?

Visas permit you to enter for a fixed period, extensions of permission to stay allow you to stay for an additional period, once you original entry period is used up.

quote ''My wife won't be with me so an extension while in Thailand is not possiibe''

You apparently have a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. You can get a work permit and work with it. You do not have to get a non-b visa.

And you can go to immigration and get a 1yr extension based on your marriage.