Changing to Thai Licence: do I get same driving categories as before?

Tapster

I'm going to change my UK driving licence for a Thai one..........a little late, actually!

I am licenced for a car and a motorcycle in the UK.

If I take the Thai multi-choice test, eyesight and reflex tests, will my new licence include car and motorcycle categories?

Informed comments welcomed.

wai.gif

You only need to do eyesight and reaction test.

Multiple choice computer road rules test should not be needed.

As long as you tell them you want both car and bike and have 2 sets of documents 1 original and 1 copy you should get both licenses.

Your UK license must be the photo card type not the old paper type.

Edited by johng

It might be possible, and happens many times, the authorities also want to see the International Driving License!

So get it.

Not necessary. Myself, as well as 6 or 7 foreign colleagues from US, Germany and other European countries have gone through the process in Bangkok and/ or Phuket. Nobody's ever been asked for an international license. johng's post is accurate.

You will need to show a residence certificate (available from your embassy or from immigration), or a work permit. Also you need a "health certificate" which any licensed physician can issue. I got mine from local dermatologist for 50 Baht.

@johng

Do you mean two full sets of documents, with two application forms, one set for each type of licence..............and take the originals as well?

I'd take the originals anyway, but are you saying that I have to apply for bike and car categories separately, but at the same visit?

(Photocard licence, no problem)

smile.png

I am just hijacking this topic don't want to open another one

my Thai nephew just obtained a Thai international licences

can he use this to drive in Australia ? I know he can not use

his normal Thai license which is prohibited in Australia

There is no such hing as an international driving licence is is only a 'permit' which is a translation of your home driving licence, which you must have, into a number of languages. In over forty years I have never been asked for it irrespective of the country I was in. When I applied for a Thai licence I had my UK one translated into Thai, which the authorities here accepted and stated that is what they would prefer. Result, colour test only nothing else was required.

A UK driving licence is only valid for three months when out of the country and yes they do know when because they have access to the British Passport data base.

It might be possible, and happens many times, the authorities also want to see the International Driving License!

So get it.

You are correct, the UK licence will not get you a Thai license, you need the international licence.

I had a current UK Licence, an expired 5 year Thai licence and they made me do everything, the computer test, the video, the reactions and the practical driving test.

So get it.

You are correct, the UK licence will not get you a Thai license, you need the international licence.

I had a current UK Licence, an expired 5 year Thai licence and they made me do everything, the computer test, the video, the reactions and the practical driving test.

When and where was that menzies233 ?

My guess is that it was because he had an expired 5 year Thai licence (depends how long) so his UK licence may have been seen as irrelevant?

If you are retired by law you must have a Thai driver’s license. The driving licenses are separate so you need to apply for them separately. The exam is much harder now. The driving test is hard as well. I drove 25,000 miles a year for 30 years and I struggled. It is much different sitting on the opposite side. I recently applied with 200 applicants and only 20 of us passed the exam and the driving test. My American licensed expired so I had to start all over. I trained with Like English driving school and to be honest there is no way I would have passed the first time without their training help and translation assistance. The written test is in English now. I passed the separate exam for the motorcycle license, but failed the bike driving test twice and gave up. You can rent bikes there, but not cars. I'm 68 years old and my balance must be bad. You have to drive down a raised 4" wide rail a long distance and I keep running off to the right. Good Luck.

Edited by seedy
font

You don't heed an International Driving Permit at Pattaya, I was there a couple of weeks ago, UK Licence sufficed.

Correct. I never had an International Driving Permit, full UK licence was sufficient, and I got a Thai Temporary Licence within 90 minutes.

I am just hijacking this topic don't want to open another one

my Thai nephew just obtained a Thai international licences

can he use this to drive in Australia ? I know he can not use

his normal Thai license which is prohibited in Australia

This information is incorrect. As a visitor you can drive on a Thai driving licence in all parts of Australia for 3 months. If your nephew intends to stay there for an extended stay then he has to obtain an Australian Driving Licence from the State that he resides in. Information regarding the specific requirements for each state are published on the Australian Government Web site.

Edited by Estrada

You only need to do eyesight and reaction test.

Multiple choice computer road rules test should not be needed.

As long as you tell them you want both car and bike and have 2 sets of documents 1 original and 1 copy you should get both licenses.

Your UK license must be the photo card type not the old paper type.

since when, I changed my UK paper licence for a Thai licence in Khon Kaen without any problem

If you are retired by law you must have a Thai driver’s license. The driving licenses are separate so you need to apply for them separately. The exam is much harder now. The driving test is hard as well. I drove 25,000 miles a year for 30 years and I struggled. It is much different sitting on the opposite side. I recently applied with 200 applicants and only 20 of us passed the exam and the driving test. My American licensed expired so I had to start all over. I trained with Like English driving school and to be honest there is no way I would have passed the first time without their training help and translation assistance. The written test is in English now. I passed the separate exam for the motorcycle license, but failed the bike driving test twice and gave up. You can rent bikes there, but not cars. I'm 68 years old and my balance must be bad. You have to drive down a raised 4" wide rail a long distance and I keep running off to the right. Good Luck.

If you have a UK driving licence they do not usually ask you to do the written test, However, Americans and Aussie often have to do the written tests. An Aussie mate failed the written test twice before he passed the Thai Driving Test and that was the easy one.

Depend in the office if you need international driverslicense

I did needed international drivers licebse and others no did not

Only car and motorbike are allowed.

Truck, bus and other european driverslicenses only when perminent residence.

Please may I have my thread back!

wink.png

My question was:

If I take the Thai multi-choice test, eyesight and reflex tests, will my new licence include car and motorcycle categories?

It seems that:

• Both licences are separate, i.e. they are not just categories on the same piece of paper/plastic.
  • I can apply for both licences in one visit, taking the same tests (where necessary)

and
  • I will need two complete sets of application forms and supporting documents

Are there any more opinions out there?

Just got my Thai drivers license yesterday near Mo Chit (Bangkok)

Spent time and money to fill out an application and photos which I did not need.

All they wanted was my state side license and international permit.

Thai application they threw away.

Photos not necessary as you get the license with free photo.

Residency and medical certificates and the site test and I was home free.

(If you want a motorcycle license also I believe you need one more medical certificate)

Less than one hour.

Now the first time it is a two year license.

since when, I changed my UK paper licence for a Thai licence in Khon Kaen without any problem

Well lucky for you.

Others have said the paper licence was not excepted as it didn't have a photo of the owner

and they had to do the full theory and practical test.

once again it depends on various things as to whether a certain office at a certain time will accept or not your documents

or just send you away to get some other never mentioned before document ( just to get rid of you )

wink.png

My question was:

It seems that:

• Both licences are separate, i.e. they are not just categories on the same piece of paper/plastic.

• I can apply for both licences in one visit, taking the same tests (where necessary)

and

Correct 2 pieces of plastic, 2 licences.

Correct both on the same visit. (Only 1 set of tests)

Correct 2 forms. 2 sets of documents. (most offices will accept all copies for the second licence)

Some offices require an IDP to avoid the tests and film. If you've got one it can make life a lot easier.

From the DLT website NOTE it is now a 2 year temporary licence.

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER

TEMPORARY (ONE YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

2. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

3. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

4. ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

PROCEDURE

1) CHECK THE DOCUMENTS

2) PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM

3) - IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED IN NO.4 -> TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST

- IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED IN NO.4 - FULL STEP FOLLOWING

TAKE A TRAINING 4 HOURS

TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST

TAKE A THEORY TEST

TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST

4) PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE

(FEE 105 BAHT AND PLASTIC SMART CARD 100 BAHT)

Edited by sometimewoodworker

wink.png

My question was:

It seems that:

and

You wont ( shouldn't ) have to do the multi-choice theory test, just the reaction and eyesight tests.

if you clearly show them your car and bike entitlements ( the pictograms ) on your UK licence they will ( should ) give you one credit card sized plastic licence with your photo on it enabling you to drive a car and another separate licence much like the car one but just for the bike.

2 separate licences 2 separate sets of documents if you apply for both at the same time ( mostly ) they will except 1 original set and 1 copy.

As with lots of things here when dealing with "officials" sometimes they like to make things a "challenge" with the paperwork requirements.

My UK license didn't include a bike, but with a Thai bit of assistance to negotiate, and me just sitting back (apart from the pics/colour blind test etc), I magically got both a car and bike license.

wink.png

My question was:

It seems that:

and

Hello.

I have had many Thai Driving Licences, originating from my UK Licence.

You will need a certificate of Residence from the UK Embassy of from Thai Immigration.

You will need a certified translation of your UK Licence (that was the requirement when I did mine anyway).

I have never needed a medical cert, but some people seem to have needed that.

The Thai Licences are separate, one for car and one for bike. You can apply at the same time, two sets of docs necessary.

You (it seems to vary by office, it seems, but in the Bangkok Sukhumvit office for sure) you will need to sit through a one hour Thai language video, take the colour test and the depth of field test, and sit the multiple choice computer based test. Strangely you have to do the computer test twice, one for car and one for bike licence.

You will be issues with one year licences. At the end of the year, you apply again and will get 5 year licences.

In case you want support during the process, I have used these people to attend the Licence centre with me for translation and process support: www.bangkokvisitors.com

If you think the driving test(s) in Thailand is hard then i advice you, for all our sake, that you do not drive any vehicle.

Edited by Asheron

I changed from UK driving license, I had car and motorcycle in UK. Now have only Thai driving licenses for both car and motorcycle. No problem. Not driven motor cycle for 55 years! keep license just in case! I am now on 2nd 5 year license. Sat through the film, with 5 Thias, I watched the film, the Thais played games on their phones, never watched 1 minute of the film.