Beggars will need licenses under a new begging law

rooster59

Wouldn't it be better for the government to make situations were begging is not necessary? everyone has a value that they can bring to a job if they ar put in the right job. The idea of providing ID cards for begging is disgraceful.

what you say is true,...but its not exclusive to Thailand , i see more beggars and homeless in London than i see in Bkk

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

begging licence? you could not make it up

I love it!

Beggars will need licenses under a new begging law

Can't seem to quit laughing!

Am thinking I should get this engraved on a plaque & mount it somewhere, so, when I'm feeling down, I can look at it and cheer myself up.

It absolutely, positively does not get any stupider.... Until tomorrow in Thailand. clap2.gifclap2.gif

a new growth industry about to expand,i can just see it now 2nd road saturated with women holding doped up kids , would the beggars need to have the licence displayed around their neck same as official ids ? so if the police check and the beggar does not have a licence will his /her collection proceeds be confiscated

does this include "one drink for me pleeease"

No, that's is a small but over time significant contribution to the rural economy of North Eastern Thailand.

Besides, it's not really begging. In return you should receive an (in my case) extremely flattering analysis of your degree of handsomeness (?) and hopefully a wildly inaccurate underestimate of your age!

I wonder what would cause them to deny a beggar this license? Not poor enough, not Thai, isn't deformed in any way. Can foreigners legally be beggars and not need a work permit? Will taxes be collected? Will they be zoned to certain areas and streets?

Seems to me this opens a whole can of worms.

Government ministers joined human rights groups to slam the policy, comparing it to the Nazi-era Star of David sewn on to Jewish people’s clothes during the Holocaust, and about 100 activists and homeless people protested on Wednesday outside Marseille’s town hall.

Christophe Louis, president of homeless charity Collectif Morts de la Rue, told The Local that the cards were “scandalous” and “stigmatising”.

“Wearing something that shows the whole world what illnesses you have is not only discriminating but it also breaches all medical confidentiality,” he added.

“Being identified by either a star or a triangle is horrific.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-homeless-id-cards-with-yellow-triangles-likened-to-nazi-era-yellow-stars-9905956.html

A similar scheme is happening in India also. What has happened to humanity?

post-221427-14571708453723_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14571708544685_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't it be better for the government to make situations were begging is not necessary? everyone has a value that they can bring to a job if they ar put in the right job. The idea of providing ID cards for begging is disgraceful.

what you say is true,...but its not exclusive to Thailand , i see more beggars and homeless in London than i see in Bkk

I agree with you totally but the government doesnt want them to have a license to beg. Certainly doesnt excuse it in a country like the UK either

Maybe there is more behind, than meets the eye at first glance.
Perhaps many beggars have to pay bribes to the local police, so that they can stay.
Maybe with this new law they could not easy chased away
, if they unwilling to pay.
Unfortunately, there is no social safety net for many.
For many maimed and blind begging is the only source of income.

On the other hand it is sad to consolidate this status of a beggar with Beggar - IDs.
Ultimately, a surrender of society to really helping those in need.

Edited by tomacht8

That's new profession ! Bravo brainless ones who try to implement it.clap2.gif

1. OK. I want to be a beggar ! but now how much it will cost me to get a license in LOS as expat ???

2. That's new opportunity for corrupted police .... hence how big cut they will be looking for ? if I will not get a license and still want to work in new industry ?

3. How much tax will be on licensed beggar ?

But looking from other perspective this idea is good for the rest of the world.

Because of world growing problem with retired people which governments starting to have shortage of money this new idea could be applied to anyone and we could apply for beggar licenses

I think it's better to be prepared..... maybe this stupid idea is not that stupid????

clap2.gif

coffee1.gif

As this seems to be maybe the way forward as an employment - begging. Maybe I can apply for a work visa and do some begging also?

Yes, wonder if begging will be a Thai's only occupation? coffee1.gif

As this seems to be maybe the way forward as an employment - begging. Maybe I can apply for a work visa and do some begging also?

Yes can someone please provide further clarification with.

1. Does this qualify towards obtaining some sort on long stay visa in Thailand and will it be single multiple or both?

2. If extensions required, will they be 1, 3 or 12 month extensions?

3. Does one need to go to work every day or if say has other foreign income he could maybe do a part time?

4. The WP that I would get, do I need to beg only in a specific corner of the street, or can I change location?

Thank you.

God help any beggars in prime locations who happen to be from Burma or cambo....

I would bet foreign beggers are going to get the worst of this....

Yes can someone please provide further clarification with.

1. Does this qualify towards obtaining some sort on long stay visa in Thailand and will it be single multiple or both?

2. If extensions required, will they be 1, 3 or 12 month extensions?

3. Does one need to go to work every day or if say has other foreign income he could maybe do a part time?

4. The WP that I would get, do I need to beg only in a specific corner of the street, or can I change location?

Thank you.

No, they are will be covered by the new proposed 5 year scheme for experts.

Why? What is the purpose of having a beggar card? Who will be denied a card; people who do not qualify for the job of beggar? What will be the next steps; government campaigns to promote helping only registered beggars?

It beggars belief.

yeah beggers too poor to buy a fake licence from ko san road will be ..... left to beg for food

A small anecdote.
Do not get me wrong, I can feel with really poor people who have lost limbs, are blind or have no other way to fill there stomachs with food.

I had attended a self-actualization seminar long time ago.
This was a very expensive special seminar for our consulting firm.
We are, as healthy people driven around in wheelchairs.
We have learned to run over hot coals.
We have learned to make bad music in local trains and in walking streets to collect money.
And the Star coach taught us a beggar plot.
He taught us this trick in life performance.

If you have no money, no matter in what city you are, do the following:
Go to McDonalds take toilet paper and plenty of ketchup for free.
Put the ketchup on your face and closes and run out into the shopping street.
Cry for help. “I have to go to the hospital, please give me some money.”
Ask people directly for money, as long as the ketchup is not dry.
Nobody wants to have anything to do with a bleeding victim.
All people opened their purses.
Our Star Coach has collected in 10 minutes, more than 50 US dollars.

I like to give always something, to people who are in need.
Give some food, better than money.
Donate with wisdom.
I also buy chewing gum for 5 or 10 baht from the 70 year old woman in Nana.

Licensed to beg!

Been a while since I was in the neighborhood, but there was this woman who would sit on the ground outside the Dynasty on Suk Soi 4. She contorted her mouth so it looked like she had only a few teeth and would do this gesture that was wye combined with a pleading motion. She really did look pathetic, and worked evening hours. A different woman would be in her spot during daytime.

One day I just happened to be passing when they were changing shifts. She was dressed in decent clothes, hair combed, etc. When she sensed that I recognized her she gave me an "if looks could kill..." stare. She probably remembered me because as many time as I walked past I never gave her anything.

Anyone know anybody in Thailand who does theatre? It might be time for a Thai version of Threepenny Opera.

of course completely absurd as is usual with this junta. beggars are off the grid, so to speak. The very fact they are beggars is because they have dropped out of the system and are desperate and therefore not likely to register that fact. Another of Thailand's laughable ideas.