Electric shock from washing machine internal drum

richy2201

Hi,

I was hoping someone could recommend a tried and tested electrician in the Bangkok area.

I have recently moved into a brand new town house. The main 3 storey house is properly earthed (3-pin sockets), however the kitchen was renovated by the landlord and as a result the electrics were 'separate' from the main house with no safety earth installed in the kitchen sockets.

On moving into the house I had plugged my own washing machine into one of the kitchen sockets and got a mild shock from the outer chassis of the washing machine where the paint had been scratched and slightly rusted. Using a 'screwdriver electrical tester' I could see there was obviously something there and also on a few of the other appliances (microwave chassis).

I called an electrician and he installed earthing points in the sockets by 'bonding' the earth points to drilled holes in the house walls. This seemed to fix the earthing problems for the mentioned appliances however recently my partner was taking the laundry out of the washing machine and she got a mild electric shock from the internal drum this time, though there doesn't appear to be any problem on the outer chassis?

As mentioned, if anyone could supply the name of a tried and tested electrician this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Certainly sounds like a poor/no ground. I'm intrigued by the grounding to holes drilled in the walls, there should be wires back to a ground rod.

Where in Bangkok are you? Would help our members point you at a decent sparks.

Hi Crossy,

I am in Suan Luang area if anyone knows a proper, recommended electrician.

As mentioned before, the previous electrician only drilled holes in the walls of the kitchen for the few sets of sockets. The rest of the 3-storey town house is properly earthed but because the kitchen was renovated separately this seems to be the reason why it was not earthed.

Unfortunately there is no rear exit to the house (only front entrance) so installing a separate earth rod outside for the kitchen would prove problematic so it would be a case of running earth cables from kitchen sockets to main breaker box which isn't far at all....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Well, it it's "not far at all" to run ground to the main and hopefully proper there, then why not do that?

Because:

A. Im not an electrician

B. I dont have the tools or equipment to run cables through the roof (drilling holes etc etc.), test that the earth has been installed properly etc. (hence why I am asking for a qualified electrician)

But thanks for your input

I have recently moved into a brand new town house. The main 3 storey house is properly earthed (3-pin sockets), however the kitchen was renovated by the landlord and as a result the electrics were 'separate' from the main house with no safety earth installed in the kitchen sockets.

Get the landlord to correct the faulty work which you say he had done.

• 2 weeks later...