Cruz wins Kansas, battles Trump in other states

rooster59

Cruz wins Kansas, battles Trump in other states

WICHITA, Kansas (AP) — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz claimed an easy victory in Kansas and battled with Donald Trump for Kentucky in Saturday's four-state round of Republican voting, fresh evidence that there's no quick end in sight to the fractious race for the Republican presidential nomination. Democrats in three states were choosing between Hillary Clinton and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Cruz was leading Trump by more than a 2-to-1 margin in partial returns in the Kansas caucuses, and held a narrower lead over the real estate mogul in the Maine caucuses. The Texas senator and Trump were in a tight race in the Kentucky caucuses. Cruz, who enjoys support among evangelicals and the ultraconservative tea party movement, attributed his strong showing to conservatives coalescing behind his candidacy, calling it a "manifestation of a real shift in momentum." He has contrasted his steadfast conservative record to Trump's shifting positions on such issues as abortion and past campaign donations to Democrats, including Clinton.

"God bless Kansas," Cruz declared during a rally in Idaho, which votes in three days. "The scream you hear, the howl that comes from Washington D.C., is utter terror at what we the people are doing together."

With the Republican race in chaos, establishment figures frantically are looking for any way to derail Trump, perhaps at a contested convention if no candidate can get enough delegates to lock up the nomination in advance. Party leaders — including 2012 nominee Mitt Romney and 2008 nominee Sen. John McCain — are fearful a Trump victory would lead to a disastrous November election, with losses up and down the Republican ticket.

"Everyone's trying to figure out how to stop Trump," the billionaire marveled at an afternoon rally in Orlando, Florida.

Despite the support of many elected officials in Kansas, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio came up short, raising serious questions about his viability in the race. Cruz suggested it was time for other Republican candidates to step aside so he could go one-on-one against Trump.

Saturday's Republican races also included a primary election in Louisiana, while Democrats voted in Nebraska, Kansas and Louisiana. With front-runner Trump yet to win states by the margins he'll need in order to secure the nomination before the convention, every one of the 155 Republican delegates at stake on Saturday was worth fighting for.

Overall, Trump has prevailed in 10 of 15 state contests heading into Saturday's voting. Cruz had won Alaska, Oklahoma, Iowa and his home state of Texas. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio had one win in Minnesota.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich also bid for Republican votes. Rubio and Kasich both pinned their hopes on winner-take-all contests on March 15 in their home states.

Cruz will collect at least 17 delegates for winning the Republican caucuses in Kansas, and Trump will win at least six. In the overall race for delegates to the party's national nominating convention, Trump led with 335 and Cruz had 248. Rubio had 110 delegates and Kasich had 25. It takes 1,237 delegates to win the Republican nomination for president.

Although Trump has drawn the biggest crowds at his rallies, Cruz is believed to have an edge in caucus states because he has put an emphasis on organizing a strong ground game to get-out-the-vote.

On the Democratic side, Clinton is farther along than Trump on the march to her party's nomination. She has 1,066 delegates to Sanders' 432, including pledged superdelegates, elected officials and party leaders who can support the candidate of their choice. It takes 2,383 delegates to win the Democratic nomination at the party's national convention. There are 109 at stake on Saturday.

Clinton hoped that strong support among African Americans in Louisiana would propel her to victory. Sanders, the Vermont senator, had higher hopes of making progress in Nebraska and Kansas, where the Democratic electorate is less diverse.

Seeking some traction, Rubio again denounced Trump as a fraud and a "con artist."

"It's not enough to say, 'Vote for me because I am angrier and over the top and am going to do and say things no one is going to do,'" he told conservatives at the conference outside Washington. At a later rally in Jacksonville, Florida, he pleaded for support from the same city "that believed in me" in his successful Senate bid six years ago.

Trump, intent on denying Rubio a crucial Florida win, had the thousands at his Orlando rally swear to give him their ballots.

With early voting already under way in the state, Trump told them: "Do it now. Do it today. Do it tomorrow. ... Remember, you all swore, you're voting for Trump, you can't change."

Ahead of a debate Sunday night in Flint, Michigan, Clinton met with about 20 African-American ministers in Detroit on Saturday and said "the future" of the Supreme Court was on the ballot in November's general election. The Michigan primary is on Tuesday.

Sanders had events in Ohio on Saturday as the Democrats kept close watch on those two big states and their upcoming delegate hauls.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-06

I could wish that Trump were acting as some kind of a pace setter, like they use in cycling.

He roars off at a terrific pace, and the others have to up their game to stay with him. Then, at a strategic moment, with the other competitors energised, he pulls out and lets the others race for the line, in better shape than they would otherwise be.

That would at least give the Republicans a chance; anything to stop That Woman.

I could wish that Trump were acting as some kind of a pace setter, like they use in cycling.

He roars off at a terrific pace, and the others have to up their game to stay with him. Then, at a strategic moment, with the other competitors energised, he pulls out and lets the others race for the line, in better shape than they would otherwise be.

IMO, Cruz has even less chance than Trump of winning the general election. To me, Kasich/Rubio looks like the best chance to beat That Woman - unless she is indicted.

Is Trump/Kasich any kind of a possibility? Kasich is a good guy who knows the system, has a good record and plenty of experience. Could choosing Kasich as VP give Trump enough credibility to beat Hillary?

Edited by Ulysses G.

IMO, Cruz has even less chance than Trump of winning the general election. To me, Kasich/Rubio looks like the best chance to beat That Woman - unless she is indicted.

Is Trump/Kasich any kind of a possibility? Kasich is a good guy who knows the system, has a good record and plenty of experience. Could choosing Kasich as VP give Trump enough credibility to beat Hillary?

Good points.

But, realistically, I can't see a Trump/Kasich ticket - they are poles apart.

I agree, though, that Kasich/Rubio might be a good combination to beat Clinton.

If Republicans believe that the best way to beat Clinton is to veer even further to the right and/or to polarise further behind the simplistic, knee-jerk, not to say naive, 'policy' utterances of the Chump then they will do so to their cost and guarantee Clinton's success.

I hope they do - I'm for the Democrats, although NOT Clinton!

BUT, I think there is a real possibility that Clinton will LOSE the election rather than the Republicans win it, if the strength of animosity towards her gains ground.

Edited by awayego

Darn, as much as I dislike the top 3 Rep contenders (it's hard to decide which one is least offensive), I'm hoping Trump will get the Rep nod. Trump will be easier to thwump, when facing off against Hillary or Bernie, than either Cruz or Rubio - tho none of the 3 can win, in my estimation. Romney agrees with me. Even better would be if Trump chooses Palin as his running mate - that would send the entertainment value up several notches.

In response to awayego's post above, Kasich won't be Republicans' choice for two reasons: #1: he's reasonable. #2: he doesn't have as much money to spend as the other 3.

Edited by boomerangutang

Darn, as much as I dislike the top 3 Rep contenders (it's hard to decide which one is least offensive), I'm hoping Trump will get the Rep nod. Trump will be easier to thwump, when facing off against Hillary or Bernie, than either Cruz or Rubio - tho none of the 3 can win, in my estimation. Romney agrees with me. Even better would be if Trump chooses Palin as his running mate - that would send the entertainment value up several notches.

In response to awayego's post above, Kasich won't be Republicans' choice for two reasons: #1: he's reasonable. #2: he doesn't have as much money to spend as the other 3.

Unfortunately, I think you're right!

But, like you, I would just love to see a Chump/Palin ticket - Tweedledum and Tweedledummer - how we would laugh!

Edited by awayego

Good points.

But, realistically, I can't see a Trump/Kasich ticket - they are poles apart.

I agree, though, that Kasich/Rubio might be a good combination to beat Clinton.

If Republicans believe that the best way to beat Clinton is to veer even further to the right and/or to polarise further behind the simplistic, knee-jerk, not to say naive, 'policy' utterances of the Chump then they will do so to their cost and guarantee Clinton's success.

I hope they do - I'm for the Democrats, although NOT Clinton!

BUT, I think there is a real possibility that Clinton will LOSE the election rather than the Republicans win it, if the strength of animosity towards her gains ground.

Who would Hillary least like to have to run against in November?

Or is she confident of defeating anyone put up against her?

I think she would have the closest race if it was against Kasich. He's the least radical of the bunch. And rednecks would vote for Kasich (or stay home) because they've convinced themselves that Hillary is the wicked witch. Watch for Kasich to win some 'rust belt' states. One reason Kasich hasn't wanted to enter the mosh pit with the other 3, is he's eyeing a VP spot. If Trump wins the nomination, he'd be smart to pick Kasich, as it might bring in some moderate Republicans that Trump has alienated by his immature bully tactics.

So at the convention, Cruz gets engineered as the candidate and Trump storms off in a huff and announces his own campaign?

Wouldn't that be funny.

Hillary could just do a Kasich and sit in the corner mocking them.

So at the convention, Cruz gets engineered as the candidate and Trump storms off in a huff and announces his own campaign?

Wouldn't that be funny.

.....or Hillary could do 'a Carson' and fall asleep. But you're right, the best thing the Dem contenders can do in response to the Rep contenders, is sit back and watch the Republicans tear themselves apart. It's good for the American people to see the ugly underbelly of the Republican Party. It thereby makes for clear choices. American voters can then choose, in November, whether they want inclusive fair-minded people in charge (p.s. the president appoints many people), or whether they want immature, mean-spirited, name-calling bullies who want to continue to coddle the very rich, while dissing the disadvantaged.

Wouldn't that be funny.

.....or Hillary could do 'a Carson' and fall asleep. But you're right, the best thing the Dem contenders can do in response to the Rep contenders, is sit back and watch the Republicans tear themselves apart. It's good for the American people to see the ugly underbelly of the Republican Party. It thereby makes for clear choices. American voters can then choose, in November, whether they want inclusive fair-minded people in charge (p.s. the president appoints many people), or whether they want immature, mean-spirited, name-calling bullies who want to continue to coddle the very rich, while dissing the disadvantaged.

You think there is no Democrat ugly underbelly? I suggest we have already seen it when Obama sides with Romney against Trump by announcing while still in office that Trump will not be President.Trump is an outsider and makes the political establishment uncomfortable not so much from what he says but more because he's independent and might upset the apple cart and trim their lifestyles.That is why they would rather hand victory to Hillary than support Trump.The same thinking applies to not one party but both..I see posters are mostly either on one side or the other and the bias shows so plainly.

Boomer, I know you are a decent guy from previous posts and regardless of whether one likes or hates Trump, I'm sure you can see that if the people want Trump and the political establishment take that choice away , then this is not democratic, it's Stalinist.

I have friends who say Hillary should be called a Republican because of her pro-Wall Street leanings. I don't agree, but it's an interesting concept.

The Dems have their faults, but at least they endeavor to write and pass legislation. Republicans are not able to do that. They're best at stalling and obstructing. As Trump said, "delay delay delay." If Republican voters are angry at Washington, then they should focus their angst at the people who are dragging their feet, while still getting their paychecks every month: Republican Congresspeople.

Obama can voice his opinions, even if they're politically tinged. You'll notice he hasn't campaigned for any candidate. That's very unusual for a lame-duck president to not openly endorse someone at this stage of the game. I don't think you can name one president who hasn't made political commentaries during a campaign season.

And who is taking Trump's candidacy away? Oh, maybe the Republican establishment? Well, that's an issue which Republicans need to resolve. Pass the popcorn.