Kaeng Krachan National Park - Access by ALL Motorcycles Prohibited?

SS1

Hi,

Just started planning a trip to the Kaeng Krachan National Park, which looks pretty amazing. However, in one guide it was mentioned that motorcycles are prohibited as the paths are steep and narrow, and only accessible by 4x4 vechiles. Now obviously an offroad bike can access anywhere a 4x4 can, so I am wondering whether they enforce this rule on ALL types of motorcycles?

I understood you are allowed to enter on your own as long as you have a sufficient 4x4 vehicle. I am not interested in hiring a guide or so, I would like to go on my own. If bikes are definitely a no-no, then might time this trip when some friends are coming over and rent a Toyota Fortuner instead to get there. Must say though, that I'd be much more comfortable on those kind of roads with a bike than a big-ass car!

Anyone with experiences?

I can never understand why people want to visit a National Park in a noisy 4 x 4, much less an even more noisy Motorcycle - or, indeed, why the authorities allow such abuse.

Surely the reason to visit such a place is to enjoy peace and quiet, watch the wildlife etc. - all of which is impossible when using such vehicles.

Patrick

I can never understand why people want to visit a National Park in a noisy 4 x 4, much less an even more noisy Motorcycle - or, indeed, why the authorities allow such abuse.

Surely the reason to visit such a place is to enjoy peace and quiet, watch the wildlife etc. - all of which is impossible when using such vehicles.

Patrick

If it were the normal small park with a short trek to the waterfall then I would agree but this park is huge, close to 3000 square km's and anyway vehicles are limited to only 2 main tracks I believe. The main one is close to 40 km's, from memory, to the main attraction, hardly a short stroll.

Patrick

If it were the normal small park with a short trek to the waterfall then I would agree but this park is huge, close to 3000 square km's and anyway vehicles are limited to only 2 main tracks I believe. The main one is close to 40 km's, from memory, to the main attraction, hardly a short stroll.

This is exactly why, my plan was by no means to go "offroading" into a national park - they have places more suitable for such. However, you do need some vehicle as a means of transport as the national park is very large, unless you are some HC hiker ;)

Unless you bring your own, guides and transport are available there but once you hire a guide, this is where the feeling of adventure is completely lost in my opinion.

They allow motorcycle until Sam Yod checkpoint. After this they strictly prohibited.

Useful info, thanks.

Is most of the stuff to see in the national park beyond this point? If so, might rent a 4x4 instead.

They allow motorcycle until Sam Yod checkpoint. After this they strictly prohibited.

Useful info, thanks.

Is most of the stuff to see in the national park beyond this point? If so, might rent a 4x4 instead.

Yes, after this checkpoint is Ban Krang Camp where you can do bird and butterfly watching and Panoen Thung area.

You can get an idea for tourist attractions from link below.

http://dnp.go.th/parkreserve/forprint.asp

http://travel.kapook.com/view104368.html

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Motorcycles have been prohibited after the checkpoint for as long as I can remember.

Be aware the park is closed to visitors during the wet season.

I have taken my own tent and camped there on a number of occasions. If you don't have a 4 wheel drive, you can hitch a lift from the checkpoint or the HQ which is by the reservoir.

Look at the date of the 1st post,  Mar 8. Things may have changed since then.

They are allowing motorcycles in parks as long as it has stock muffler on it.  Loud noises scare native animals. A scared elephant does not always runs away, they can charge. They are not human friendly in the wild. At 2-5 tons they run 35 mph. You don't want to piss one off and they are revered by most Thais. Several reasons why loud motorbikes can and are prohibited if needed.

Mrjlh

Are you quite sure "motorcycles with stock mufflers" are allowed into Kaeng Krajan National Park past the checkpoint? It would be a major policy change if they are.

Do you have first hand experience of taking your motorbike into Kaeng Krajan National Park past the checkpoint? I would be surprised if you had.

I look forward to reading your experiences.