Uninsured foreigners burdens Thai public hospitals

webfact

Uninsured Thais burden the NHS.

No mention here of all the Thais working (legally) and retired (legally) in UK who claim and receive free treatment from the NHS. No reciprocal arrangement? Silly question.

And i suppose you can provide a reputable news link detailing this ?...but take your point on the legally working Thais in the UK, who just happen to pay NI etc and would be entitled to NHS treatment, so yes a reciprocal agreement...how many years you worked in Thailand ?paid your income tax and contributed to the socical security fund ?

As if you did, you would be entitled to subsided medical treatment in Thailand...funny that innit ?

No Bobotie, I have never worked in Thailand so have never been able to contribute here. However, I would willingly do so if it were possible. Unlike many Thais, married to UK citizens who have never contributed in UK but are still entitled to benefits due to their marriage or long term partnership/residence. I see nothing funny about it at all. thankfully, I have insurance but I do have friends who stay here legally and who, for different reasons are unable to get insurance or complimentary treatment. In my home country, England, nobody in need of treatment is turned away.

You can contribute to the Private Social Security Plan ... about 650 baht/month. It has covered well over 1.0 Million baht in hospital visits, surgeries, and prescriptions, since my accident 4 years ago. Then, even if I need something else covered, such as PTSD or depression, you just ask you primary care physician you see monthly, and they will refer you, and again, as long as the meds are in the SS list, you are covered. I have even been covered for Oxycodone at times, although it technically costs ovr 300 baht per 40mg tablet here. The demand is low, and it is imported, so the price is sky high. But, if you go to a university hospital or one of the 3 or 4 hospitals that prescribe Oxy, the Pain Clinic doctor may write it is for data gathering as usage stats are low, and you get it covered by SS.

I don't see what anyone here has to complain about the Thai health care system. My parents in the U.S., pay well over $1,000/month, and their plan does not cover as much as I get covered here. And, when I opened SCB Bank accounts, they came with 15,000 baht yearly accident insurance ... I have used them every year.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happens if an uninsured Thai visits a European country and needs to go to hospital should be what happens to a European visitor here.

A extract from the UK regulations, which I imagine are similar to those of to other European countries (for the time being)

Some services are exempt from charge to all overseas visitors, including treatment provided inside an Accident & Emergency department, treatment for certain infectious and/or sexually transmitted diseases, family planning services and compulsory psychiatric treatment.

This would mean that a European visitor would, for these particular situations, get the same level of care that a Thai citizen would under the National basic healthcare scheme (30 baht scheme) without having to pay. Any improvement in the level of care, e.g. private room etc. would need to be paid for. The amounts mentioned are "imaginary" (they presumably include things like paying for consultations where the doctors salary is fixed and does not reflect the number of consultations he gives while on duty, and a charge for occupying a bed etc.) and represent an insignificant amount compared to the cost of operating the public health system as a whole. They are matched by the free care given to Thai citizens abroad. part of functioning of Nation states in a Global society.

Whatever happens if an uninsured Thai visits a European country and needs to go to hospital should be what happens to a European visitor here.

A extract from the UK regulations, which I imagine are similar to those of to other European countries (for the time being)

Some services are exempt from charge to all overseas visitors, including treatment provided inside an Accident & Emergency department, treatment for certain infectious and/or sexually transmitted diseases, family planning services and compulsory psychiatric treatment.

This would mean that a European visitor would, for these particular situations, get the same level of care that a Thai citizen would under the National basic healthcare scheme (30 baht scheme) without having to pay. Any improvement in the level of care, e.g. private room etc. would need to be paid for. The amounts mentioned are "imaginary" (they presumably include things like paying for consultations where the doctors salary is fixed and does not reflect the number of consultations he gives while on duty, and a charge for occupying a bed etc.) and represent an insignificant amount compared to the cost of operating the public health system as a whole. They are matched by the free care given to Thai citizens abroad. part of functioning of Nation states in a Global society.

A silly comparison, this isn't Europe it's Thailand and most of the hospitals that foreigners use here are for profit, the doctors are not on salary.

Archived