Uninsured foreigners burdens Thai public hospitals

webfact

Easy - every inbound visitor must prove that he/she has valid medical insurance before being allowed entry.

Have you ever even BEEN through a Thai immigration station? I can just imagine the lines stretching back onto the airport tarmac: IOs spending extra minutes on each & every arriving passenger trying to sort their way thru an infinite number of insurance IDs & trying to determine whether they meet the requirements ... which will inevitably vary by location, day of the week, phase of the moon, and mood of the individual IO. Please, stop with the "it's-so-simple" rubbish. It's not.

'Wonder if non-payers could perhaps be blacklisted, arrested, & deported, and banned from ever returning, at least until bill is paid. 'Fingerprinting, photo, and passport record made a part of the hospital check-in process for all foreigners. (No, 'haven't figured out how true emergencies would work...) The foreigner gets treated, but knows going in what it will mean if he fails to pay.

Foreigners SHOULD be able to pay their own way, either through insurance or by self-insuring. Deadbeats should be shown the door. But this just isn't a determination IOs are going to be able to make ahead of time, not without a river of abuse. And some sort of mandatory Thai insurance or fee an even bigger door to abuse, not to mention an undeserved burden on those who ARE responsible enough to provide for themselves. Focus on punishing the guilty.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My travel insurance states you must use government hospitals. So its pretty clear private hospitals over charge. Some of fees i have seen charged at Thai hospitals is taking the mickey. Hospitals in tourist areas are bound to see alot of foreigners, and this is very much the minority. Visit a government hospital in a non tourist area and it would be an exception to see foreigners. Anyway if Thailand has 30M tourists a year, some of these are going to need medical help, so its hardly surprising? Just goes with the territory?

these farangs are leeches on the highest order!!!! they must be thrown into the gulag to pound rocks and build me a castle!!!!! these poor backpackers have to right to come here!!!! i want them never to return!!!

sent from my iphone in Mae Rim Hospital with no insurance after 125 broken bones via strawberry truck

.... i dont see why immigration or any other gov dept should have to facilitate anything, other than to require all foreigners have adequate medical insurance as part of their extension or visa being issued

The problem that will arise if they do not facilitate anything is that many resident expats already have pre-existing conditions which any private insurance policy would exclude. Meaning good chance they would face a medical emergency that their insurance would not cover.

In addition, there are some resident expats who truly can't afford private insurance premiums. I think this is far from all those who say they can't afford it, many of those simply do not want to cut down on other expenses or face the fact that they do need to spend money on health care. But there are those who are on very limited fixed incomes that really can't manage private insurance. These tend to be elderly people who settled here long ago when cost of living was lower, and some of them no longer have much in the way of ties to their home countries to fall back on either.

So a lot of problems if insurance is made mandatory but left entirely to the private market.

In addition, provided it is priced appropriately, there could be advantages for Thailand's health financing schemes to expand the pool of covered persons to include expats.

Some valid points, but the individuals concerned never did the responsible and adult thing by getting their insurances sorted out before it became a "problem" and now they expect someone to fix their problem ? Sounds all nanny state to me...suppose they will blame others for their lack of resonsibility in taking care of their own affairs

What about those who have had pre-existing conditions for years BEFORE they came to Thailand?

Alan

Most of these hospitals are grossly expensive as all of them love to overcharge.

Does that justify non payment of bills after taking treatment?

Edit

Are there any countries where there are cheap private hospitals?

Edited by ravip

.... i dont see why immigration or any other gov dept should have to facilitate anything, other than to require all foreigners have adequate medical insurance as part of their extension or visa being issued

The problem that will arise if they do not facilitate anything is that many resident expats already have pre-existing conditions which any private insurance policy would exclude. Meaning good chance they would face a medical emergency that their insurance would not cover.

In addition, there are some resident expats who truly can't afford private insurance premiums. I think this is far from all those who say they can't afford it, many of those simply do not want to cut down on other expenses or face the fact that they do need to spend money on health care. But there are those who are on very limited fixed incomes that really can't manage private insurance. These tend to be elderly people who settled here long ago when cost of living was lower, and some of them no longer have much in the way of ties to their home countries to fall back on either.

So a lot of problems if insurance is made mandatory but left entirely to the private market.

In addition, provided it is priced appropriately, there could be advantages for Thailand's health financing schemes to expand the pool of covered persons to include expats.

Some valid points, but the individuals concerned never did the responsible and adult thing by getting their insurances sorted out before it became a "problem" and now they expect someone to fix their problem ? Sounds all nanny state to me...suppose they will blame others for their lack of resonsibility in taking care of their own affairs

What about those who have had pre-existing conditions for years BEFORE they came to Thailand?

Alan

Then one should consider whether it is such a good idea to come to Thailand.

If you are really getting a pension of 65,000 THB per month or have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank then you should have no trouble paying for any hospital stay

If you don't have the correct amount to obtain a long stay type of visa, then you shouldn't be here in the first place

This whole idea of mandatory insurance is just like the new overstay rules, 99% of us follow the rules and don't overstay but we suffer the consequences of the new rules because of those that don't

I would only support mandatory trip insurance for tourist visa's if this is really that much of a problem

Instead of raising the departure tax or establishing a new "security" fee, implement a $5 mandatory trip insurance fee for tourists. I am sure that the Thai insurance companies would jump at the chance to issue these temporary short term policies

@sandyf

Nope don't think I'll do that either. Even if I'm in a hospital. Seems like a stupid thing to do. Probably painful too.

No hospital or business has the right to hold your passport and none are going to be holding mine.

I wouldn't want anyone to be in the situation where using your passport as surety is the lesser of 2 evils.

Circumstances vary so until a problem arises no one can be absolutely sure which choice would be made.

One has to assume that you would rather hand over your ATM card and Pin No than deposit your passport. Got to admire your conviction on that one.

@sandyf

Nope don't think I'll do that either. Even if I'm in a hospital. Seems like a stupid thing to do. Probably painful too.

No hospital or business has the right to hold your passport and none are going to be holding mine.

I wouldn't want anyone to be in the situation where using your passport as surety is the lesser of 2 evils.

Circumstances vary so until a problem arises no one can be absolutely sure which choice would be made.

One has to assume that you would rather hand over your ATM card and Pin No than deposit your passport. Got to admire your conviction on that one.

Handing over your passport is a very foolish thing to do. It can vanish or be held onto to screw you out of every penny you have if the holder is unscrupulous enough to do so.

No way am I going to let anyone hold it. Neither will I hand over my ATM or PIN number.

Edited by Bluespunk

If you are really getting a pension of 65,000 THB per month or have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank then you should have no trouble paying for any hospital stay

If you don't have the correct amount to obtain a long stay type of visa, then you shouldn't be here in the first place

This whole idea of mandatory insurance is just like the new overstay rules, 99% of us follow the rules and don't overstay but we suffer the consequences of the new rules because of those that don't

I would only support mandatory trip insurance for tourist visa's if this is really that much of a problem

Instead of raising the departure tax or establishing a new "security" fee, implement a $5 mandatory trip insurance fee for tourists. I am sure that the Thai insurance companies would jump at the chance to issue these temporary short term policies

There already is a medical/health/hospital levy on flight tickets which the airlines pass on to travellers -- as was pointed out by another poster a few days ago. That was started about 5 years ago I believe, but the money has obviously been syphoned off for more "interesting" use. wink.png

Edited by jpinx

My travel insurance states you must use government hospitals. So its pretty clear private hospitals over charge. Some of fees i have seen charged at Thai hospitals is taking the mickey. Hospitals in tourist areas are bound to see alot of foreigners, and this is very much the minority. Visit a government hospital in a non tourist area and it would be an exception to see foreigners. Anyway if Thailand has 30M tourists a year, some of these are going to need medical help, so its hardly surprising? Just goes with the territory?

I stand to be corrected, but dont you live here full time ?...so why are you using travel insurance ? Why not a proper policy ? Seems to me your taking the Micheal as well

Alan

They should have considered their situation before moving to a country where they have no access to free or subsidised treatment and then expect another country where they have paid no income tax to provide them with cut price treatment

There already is a medical/health/hospital levy on flight tickets which the airlines pass on to travellers -- as was pointed out by another poster a few days ago. That was started about 5 years ago I believe, but the money has obviously been syphoned off for more "interesting" use. wink.png

You mean the THB 500 surcharge which was proposed in 2013 but never approved by the cabinet and as far as i am aware never implemented ?...they save levy that was never implemented but somehow the none existant money has been syphoned off

@sandyf

Handing over your passport is a very foolish thing to do. It can vanish or be held onto to screw you out of every penny you have if the holder is unscrupulous enough to do so.

No way am I going to let anyone hold it. Neither will I hand over my ATM or PIN number.

The government hospital to which I was admitted asked for a deposit of 5,000bht before admitting me.

After two nights in hospital they let me go and returned the excess.

No need for passport or ATM card.

You mean the THB 500 surcharge which was proposed in 2013 but never approved by the cabinet and as far as i am aware never implemented ?...they save levy that was never implemented but somehow the none existant money has been syphoned off

I stand corrected - thank you :) Shame they did not implement that levy at that time. Even though many folks have some method at hand to cover their health requirements, I don't think anyone is going to not come for the sake of 500Baht, though it might actually make more sense to add it to the tourist visa fees collected by home-country Thai embassies, or make it payable for those arriving without a visa at a seperate desk just before immigration checks you in. Long-stayers can pay their fee every year when they get their extension renewed.

Alan

They should have considered their situation before moving to a country where they have no access to free or subsidised treatment and then expect another country where they have paid no income tax to provide them with cut price treatment

All UK expats saw their free access to the UK's National Health Service curtailed last year and that came as a surprise, many people had bare bones health insurance coverage in Thailand in the knowledge that the NHS was available to them back in the UK for the more serious, big ticket health problems where advance planning and lead times allowed them to get back. Once that sort of free and extensive coverage is removed, it's difficult for many expat pensioners who have lived here for ten, fifteen and twenty years to adjust their budgets/find the cash/get accepted at a late age for health insurance in Thailand. So yes, lots of people did make plans which were robustly considered but then the goal posts moved without any notice whatsoever.

And I think you over state the desire of expats to want free or subsidized health care, many if not most just want fairly priced health care and are willing to pay for it, it's not as though everyone is looking for free handouts.

Alan

All UK expats saw their free access to the UK's National Health Service curtailed last year and that came as a surprise, many people had bare bones health insurance coverage in Thailand in the knowledge that the NHS was available to them back in the UK for the more serious, big ticket health problems where advance planning and lead times allowed them to get back. Once that sort of free and extensive coverage is removed, it's difficult for many expat pensioners who have lived here for ten, fifteen and twenty years to adjust their budgets/find the cash/get accepted at a late age for health insurance in Thailand. So yes, lots of people did make plans which were robustly considered but then the goal posts moved without any notice whatsoever.

And I think you over state the desire of expats to want free or subsidized health care, many if not most just want fairly priced health care and are willing to pay for it, it's not as though everyone is looking for free handouts.

No they never made any plans, they assumed the nanny state would always would sort things out for them...what happens the day if the state pension fund falls apart as well ?....as regards free hand outs/subsidised, one only has to read this thread...it shows exactly this in many posts..."the Thai gov must/should....".....they should set up an insurance fund.....charge all toursits thb 500 etc

Alan

No they never made any plans, they assumed the nanny state would always would sort things out for them...what happens the day if the state pension fund falls apart as well ?....as regards free hand outs/subsidised, one only has to read this thread...it shows exactly this in many posts..."the Thai gov must/should....".....they should set up an insurance fund.....charge all toursits thb 500 etc

How old are you? You're clearly not 60 plus having been here ten fifteen or twenty years because if you were you'd know how stupid your statement is.

The concept of the NHS charging expats, the Pound falling apart, the sudden demise of the UK State Pension, those and other things are concepts that have come into the retirement planning list of assumptions within the last decade/decade and a half, hitherto they were risks that weren't on the radar of anyone apart from a select few.

So you say that there was no planning on their part, fact is there was substantial planning on the part of most, do you believe that, compared to yours, entire past generations were simply stupid and void of any common sense in that respect! The problem is that despite much planning, the risk parameters were totally different then from the ones that have been realized since - think about that.

It's all well and good to imagine the plight facing a UK retiree who has been here for fifteen years, through the eyes of a thirty/forty something year old, employed, inheritance awaiting, wannabe expat who still has financial options but it doesn't help their plight, nor does it help provide a viable solution

=================.......

How old are you? You're clearly not 60 plus having been here ten fifteen or twenty years because if you were you'd know how stupid your statement is.

The concept of the NHS charging expats, the Pound falling apart, the sudden demise of the UK State Pension, those and other things are concepts that have come into the retirement planning list of assumptions within the last decade/decade and a half, hitherto they were risks that weren't on the radar of anyone apart from a select few.

So you say that there was no planning on their part, fact is there was substantial planning on the part of most, do you believe that, compared to yours, entire past generations were simply stupid and void of any common sense in that respect! The problem is that despite much planning, the risk parameters were totally different then from the ones that have been realized since - think about that.

It's all well and good to imagine the plight facing a UK retiree who has been here for fifteen years, through the eyes of a thirty/forty something year old, employed, inheritance awaiting, wannabe expat who still has financial options but it doesn't help their plight, nor does it help provide a viable solution

Well -- I can remember my Dad struggling to cope with the changes during the Wilson years, and my grandmother telling us about the mess the war made of people's economies, so there's nothing new here. Anyone who expects things to stay the same is deluding themselves. The most dificult thing is to know which way the tree will fall when the politicians cut through it at random. People who think they are immune are arrogant to the point of stupidity. The thing I have always retained in my life is a philosophy of living within my means, but that is sooooooooo old-fashioned now with credit available so easily. I can only say that it has worked for me.......

Edited by jpinx

And it's worked out well for me also. But I can't abide however people with no experience of life, age or anything making gross generalizations that criticize older generations for not having done this that etc, just because it's in vogue to do so, whilst not really having the slightest clue what it's all about.

And it's worked out well for me also. But I can't abide however people with no experience of life, age or anything making gross generalizations that criticize older generations for not having done this that etc, just because it's in vogue to do so, whilst not really having the slightest clue what it's all about.

The problem is that those people have the same mentality as the ones making the decisions. Modern cultures have lost the ability to learn from their seniors -- it's all Me! Me! Me! and the devil take the hindmost,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I can't believe that health insurance in Scandinavian countries doesn't cover emergency medical coverage in Thailand. I have health insurance in the Netherlands that covers me worldwide. Not an extra, not travel insurance, standard coverage.

Wow, I'm also from the Netherlands.

Can you please give me some information about your health care company, because mine, and a few other Dutch people I know don't have this amazing coverage.

Thank you in advance!

I stand to be corrected, but dont you live here full time ?...so why are you using travel insurance ? Why not a proper policy ? Seems to me your taking the Micheal as well

Nope. Don't live in Thailand. Resident in the Uk. But we do visit for a couple of months every so often and stay at my wifes house, and we always have travel insurance. We visit to see family (my kids and my wifes family). Wife says we are on the gold card and can use that but if something serious happened we are covered by the travel insurance so can be repatriated to the UK, etc. Why pay nearly £1000 on airfares and skip £60 travel insurance?

I have Achmea Zilveren Kruis with a 4 star supplement. My basic coverage is 118 a month and the extra coverage for dental, supplemental dental and supplemental medical that covers a private hospital room, more physiotherapy and other services is an extra 96 a month.

I'm certain the basic coverage gives me worldwide urgent care coverage because a friend with the same company but no extra coverage had an operation in the US and never even saw the bill.

I was in the hospital in Bkk for a week due to food poisoning and the ฿120k bill was paid to the hospital through an intermediary company. I had a motorcycle accident and ran up a ฿130k bill and never saw the bill until ZK had already paid it.

I had friends get quotes from ZK which were higher, even though I'm older. I think I have a cio discount because I'm self employed. I'm not sure how much discount though.

I can't believe that health insurance in Scandinavian countries doesn't cover emergency medical coverage in Thailand. I have health insurance in the Netherlands that covers me worldwide. Not an extra, not travel insurance, standard coverage.

Can you please give me some information about your health care company, because mine, and a few other Dutch people I know don't have this amazing coverage.

Thank you in advance!

I have Achmea Zilveren Kruis with a 4 star supplement. My basic coverage is 118 a month and the extra coverage for dental, supplemental dental and supplemental medical that covers a private hospital room, more physiotherapy and other services is an extra 96 a month.

I'm certain the basic coverage gives me worldwide urgent care coverage because a friend with the same company but no extra coverage had an operation in the US and never even saw the bill.

I was in the hospital in Bkk for a week due to food poisoning and the ฿120k bill was paid to the hospital through an intermediary company. I had a motorcycle accident and ran up a ฿130k bill and never saw the bill until ZK had already paid it.

I had friends get quotes from ZK which were higher, even though I'm older. I think I have a cio discount because I'm self employed. I'm not sure how much discount though.

Thank you in advance!

Here is the link to Achmea Zilveren Kruis.

Members can read for themselves what is offered and who can apply ...........................

https://www.zilverenkruis.nl/English/Paginas/index.aspx

The website offers Dutch and English.

Anybody can secure travel insurance. It's just a matter of what level of cover you require, and if you're prepared to pay the asking price. If you're not, then don't travel, or if you do, don't expect the health system of another country to cover you.

Digging out the exclusions can be difficult. For example, I can remember being surprised that a major form of public transport - motorcycle taxis - was excluded.

Alan

What about them? That's not an excuse for leeching (yes, leeching!) off the Thai people, and all the MORE reason for having one's healthcare options in order before traveling since the needs are KNOWN ahead of time!

What in the world gets into the heads of people who come to Thailand thinking Thailand should take care of their medical issues FOR them?? I'm not for throwing them out into the street; provide necessary emergency or urgent care treatment, but afterwards, when they can't pay, deport & blacklist them, perhaps permanently. The word will get out.

The UK charges 10,000bht a year for all inclusive health care for those wanting citizenship.

Something not available here at any price. (Citizenship or health care)

There's something fishy about that price. It's a levy on recent immigrants - typically just for their first 5 years.

• Many of those paying are working and therefore paying taxes.
  • Most of these new immigrants are healthier than the average inhabitant of the UK.
  • On the other hand, a lot of them are starting their families - and a fair few with a British spouse.
  • The Home Office is trying to levy it on non-British babies born in Britain.
  • It's also levied on students, who generally are not immigrants.
  • Consideration was given to setting the fee at £500 a year rather than £200 a year.

It's not available for 'self-sufficient' or student EEA citizens who are recent immigrants - they're supposed to get commercial or home-country 'comprehensive sickness insurance', and if they don't, they could in theory be 'administratively removed' from the UK. Working EEA citizens and their families are covered by the NHS.

As for 'wanting citizenship', let me assure you that it also applies to Japanese immigrants.

@sandyf

The government hospital to which I was admitted asked for a deposit of 5,000bht before admitting me.

After two nights in hospital they let me go and returned the excess.

No need for passport or ATM card.

I have never been asked for any up front security, in any form, cash or passport, when being admitted to the Government hospital.