Uninsured foreigners burdens Thai public hospitals

webfact

Well isnt it just Tit for Tat?....How many thais that travel overseas get all that free medical treatment from most countries...they certainly wouldnt be adding up all the bills and whinging about it would they?...They just get on with looking after the Patient, payment or not...

Nonsense. Don't spew rubbish. Which most other countries provide medical free for foreigner including Thai????

UK

dream on, they haven't done that for a long time unless you a legally resident in the UK or A and E treatment

Thai goes to England has accident and goes to hospital and is treated... you are suggesting they ask for ID? passport perhaps? then level charges for treatment???

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well isnt it just Tit for Tat?....How many thais that travel overseas get all that free medical treatment from most countries...they certainly wouldnt be adding up all the bills and whinging about it would they?...They just get on with looking after the Patient, payment or not...

Nonsense. Don't spew rubbish. Which most other countries provide medical free for foreigner including Thai????

UK

dream on, they haven't done that for a long time unless you a legally resident in the UK or A and E treatment

Thai goes to England has accident and goes to hospital and is treated... you are suggesting they ask for ID? passport perhaps? then level charges for treatment???

Yes, once emergency treatment has been administered, the patient thai in this case is liable for payment for any further treatment

but unlike many foreigners here, the Thai will most likely have insurance and if they travelled to/from a Schengen visa state they are required to have insurance to get the visa amounting to coverage of not less than $50K anyway

Bobotie: of course it is NOT a SCAM: included in that $800 price is:

Salary of Doctor who prescribed the normal saline, nurse that administered,

Needle, bandaged, use of ER, janitor, billing clerks, poor who don't pay,

Deadbeats who can pay and don't, electricity, water,cleaning supplies,

And the list goes on and on....you are not paying for the $1 normal

Saline alone....people never consider these expenses.

I am sure there are far more Thai people who can't pay their bills or, I suspect, they just don't get medical help because they can't afford it. I believe the average life expentancy in Thailand is somewhere in the 60's, partly due to the cost of medical treatment and the lack of good or any government plan. I am over 75 and in exceptionally good health but cannot get health insurance here unless I pay a very high rate, well in excess of $2000 per annum. I have an emergency fund in case I need any medical help like accidents. If I had any serious illness I would return to my own country where I would get almost free hospital treatment.

Bobotie: of course it is NOT a SCAM: included in that $800 price is:

Salary of Doctor who prescribed the normal saline, nurse that administered,

Needle, bandaged, use of ER, janitor, billing clerks, poor who don't pay,

Deadbeats who can pay and don't, electricity, water,cleaning supplies,

And the list goes on and on....you are not paying for the $1 normal

Saline alone....people never consider these expenses.

Er no...as stated line item cost was..$ 800...nursing fees, and doctors fees were separate line items, i am relating a story a friend of mine who was a doctor in the US for a while related to me, and his own words were rip off and scam

I am sure there are far more Thai people who can't pay their bills or, I suspect, they just don't get medical help because they can't afford it. I believe the average life expentancy in Thailand is somewhere in the 60's, partly due to the cost of medical treatment and the lack of good or any government plan. I am over 75 and in exceptionally good health but cannot get health insurance here unless I pay a very high rate, well in excess of $2000 per annum. I have an emergency fund in case I need any medical help like accidents. If I had any serious illness I would return to my own country where I would get almost free hospital treatment.

$ 2000 pa is not a high premium, my premium now is $2400 p.a and i am nearly a good 25 years younger than you and in excellent health

I can't speak for those foreigners who come here on a tourist visa and stay a year, but any foreigner who has had a work permit is eligible for the 30 baht health care system by applying for your social security card based upon the taxes taken out of your pay. And then as you transition to the Retirement visa, you can apply for the social security private fund for the same monthly fee of about 650 baht. I have had almost a dozen surgeries after my near fatal superbike crash by doctors at some of the best private and university hospitals. You just need your social security physician to recommend you to be transferred to the hospital that has the specialty you need. After the accident about 3.5 yrs ago, my monthly prescriptions which include morphine and narcotic painkillers, numerous antidepressants, anti anxiety meds, etc., social security pays 100% of those meds which run about 45,000 baht every month. I pay zero. Just my 650 baht per month premium.

somebody wrote what kind of idiot comes to Thailand without travel insurance. Well I did; why because if you read the fine print travel insurance won't pay for anything related to pre existing conditions. I have a cronic condition that in even the most absurd circumstances would be blamed on the sickness. Example hurt in a motorbike accident would be blamed on the pre existing condition whether it was something I did or whether a cement truck ran me down.

I learned last year that honesty never pays I was trying to get a accident insurance policy so if hurt on a motorbike or walking down the street and a brick were to hit me I would receive care a local hospital. I filled out the form and answered truthfully and was denied coverage. If you are unfortunate to have a pre existing forget about health insurance no one will touch you. I have since returned to the US. "Oh by the way I was quoted a price of 10,000.00 a month for and insurance policy here in the US in 2005 imagine what that policy today would be priced at!

Uninsured Thais burden the NHS.

No mention here of all the Thais working (legally) and retired (legally) in UK who claim and receive free treatment from the NHS. No reciprocal arrangement? Silly question.

Just a matter of time before the government runs off more retirees by requiring that they have insurance that would wipe out a third of some monthly incomes. Universal coverage is the answer but no one is asking the question.

That is a frightening prospect. I am sure there are many like me who, because of existing health problems or advanced age, are unable to buy insurance! Retruning to the UK, where I would be unable to get treatment because I am not resident, is also not an option.

Stand by for more farang suicides.

At some time or other you have reached the end of the pole, an old person,like myself, should consider suicide as a viable alternative to putting a financial burden on his family for a few more years of sickness and pain.

I have already lined up an exit route should I get to that point but the worst thought for me is that someone (probably my wife) will have to "find" me and do all the clearing up later. There are some relatively painless and non messy ways to go.

What moron goes to Thailand without travel insurance?

I used to pay about US$60 for a single trip

I think they should be locked up after their treatment till the family or someone else pays.

Thats what would happen if they didnt pay their hotel bill, whats the difference?

I would never travel without a travel insurance. My travel insurance saved my life 2 years ago.....!!! the money one saves on a travel insurance is not worth it !!!

Best regards.

No mention here of all the Thais working (legally) and retired (legally) in UK who claim and receive free treatment from the NHS. No reciprocal arrangement? Silly question.

And i suppose you can provide a reputable news link detailing this ?...but take your point on the legally working Thais in the UK, who just happen to pay NI etc and would be entitled to NHS treatment, so yes a reciprocal agreement...how many years you worked in Thailand ? paid your income tax and contributed to the socical security fund ?

As if you did, you would be entitled to subsided medical treatment in Thailand...funny that innit ?

And i suppose you can provide a reputable news link detailing this ?...but take your point on the legally working Thais in the UK, who just happen to pay NI etc and would be entitled to NHS treatment, so yes a reciprocal agreement...how many years you worked in Thailand ? paid your income tax and contributed to the socical security fund ?

As if you did, you would be entitled to subsided medical treatment in Thailand...funny that innit ?

No Bobotie, I have never worked in Thailand so have never been able to contribute here. However, I would willingly do so if it were possible. Unlike many Thais, married to UK citizens who have never contributed in UK but are still entitled to benefits due to their marriage or long term partnership/residence. I see nothing funny about it at all. thankfully, I have insurance but I do have friends who stay here legally and who, for different reasons are unable to get insurance or complimentary treatment. In my home country, England, nobody in need of treatment is turned away.

I agree all those Thais ( and other nationalities ) who are paying, or have payed NI in the Uk should be entitled to free treatment by the NHS, the same as all ex-pat Brits who payed into the system. Yet what about those Thais living or studying in the UK who have never payed one penny into the system. They get to use the NHS free of charge, I just wonder if that has ever been costed,could the figure dwarf the amount owed by Brits here in Thailand. Having said that I don't blame the Thais, it's the UK who do not look after their own tax paying citizens.

Edited by nontabury

I agree all those Thais ( and other nationalities ) who are paying, or have payed NI in the Uk should be entitled to free treatment by the NHS, the same as all ex-pat Brits who payed into the system. Yet what about those Thais living or studying in the UK who gave never payed one penny into the system. They get to use the NHS free of charge, I just wonder if that has ever been costed,could the figure dwarf the amount owed by Brits here in Thailand.

Best you check the link an find out about the NHS surcharge !

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/overview

Rants not based on fact are just rants !

No Bobotie, I have never worked in Thailand so have never been able to contribute here. However, I would willingly do so if it were possible. Unlike many Thais, married to UK citizens who have never contributed in UK but are still entitled to benefits due to their marriage or long term partnership/residence. I see nothing funny about it at all. thankfully, I have insurance but I do have friends who stay here legally and who, for different reasons are unable to get insurance or complimentary treatment. In my home country, England, nobody in need of treatment is turned away.

In England, my friend, even as a citizen you could still be required to pay for treatment, people die in your utopian England because they are on waiting lists and not receiving the treatment they need, stop misrepresnting what the NHS does and doesnt do...

I agree all those Thais ( and other nationalities ) who are paying, or have payed NI in the Uk should be entitled to free treatment by the NHS, the same as all ex-pat Brits who payed into the system. Yet what about those Thais living or studying in the UK who gave never payed one penny into the system. They get to use the NHS free of charge, I just wonder if that has ever been costed,could the figure dwarf the amount owed by Brits here in Thailand.

What amuses me the most as people still keep referring to the NHS as being free....no it isnt...

YOU check what the hospitals have

This is not a rant, it is a fact. Best YOU check what the doctors and hospitals have stated to the effect that they do not and will not police the social or immigration service. They abide by the Hippocratic oath to treat all.

In England, my friend, even as a citizen you could still be required to pay for treatment, people die in your utopian England because they are on waiting lists and not receiving the treatment they need, stop misrepresnting what the NHS does and doesnt do...

In England I receive treatment from my GP for no payment. As I am over 60, I receive a prescription for medicines which are supplied by a pharmacy for no payment. If I need hospital treatment, I do not pay. Yes, the NHS is under pressure as there are too many immigrants who have never paid into the system (but that is another story). As a result there are indeed waiting lists but emergencies go straight to the top of the list unless somebody in an office fouls up and doesn't do their job properly. The human factor. I am most definitely not required to pay for treatment in England. You appear to have been misinformed.

In England I receive treatment from my GP for no payment. As I am over 60, I receive a prescription for medicines which are supplied by a pharmacy for no payment. If I need hospital treatment, I do not pay. Yes, the NHS is under pressure as there are too many immigrants who have never paid into the system (but that is another story). As a result there are indeed waiting lists but emergencies go straight to the top of the list unless somebody in an office fouls up and doesn't do their job properly. The human factor. I am most definitely not required to pay for treatment in England. You appear to have been misinformed.

I suppose you maintain a UK address and get your pension increases as well ?...per the rules, if your no longer resident in the UK even as a citizen you could be required to pay for treatment...so it seems you are misinformed...dont believe me...go an look it up

When I stayed at the BKK HKT Hospital in Phuket a few years ago, they quoted a room price of some 5000 Baht/day. When I told them, that I have to pay from my own pocket not an insurance, the price went down to about 1900. So much about fair prices. Don't wonder why the cost of insurance goes up like crazy. mad.gif

It's similar to when you need to present proof of insurance in advance (before being treated/admitted) so that they can squeeze up to the limits with crazy fees and medicaton. Blood sucking robbers the whole lot.

The public hospitals are not blood sucking and most times it is the same doctor,public or private.

I suppose you maintain a UK address and get your pension increases as well ?...per the rules, if your no longer resident in the UK even as a citizen you could be required to pay for treatment...so it seems you are misinformed...dont believe me...go an look it up

So are you are telling us that foreigners who have never paid into the system, do not receive free NHS treatment in addition to A&E?

Edited by nontabury