Denied Non-Immigrant B at Vientiane

Just tried to apply for a Non-B for teaching and was denied. The reason:

1. Missing Original Letter from Educational Service Area Office to Royal Thai Embassy or Thai Consular section

2. Police Clearance Document not to exceed 1 year

I have had a Non B before, and also had a work permit. Three of us that I know of were denied because of this. Can anyone

tell me how and where to get these documents. Most likely the first one is from my school who have no idea what they are

doing. How about #2?

1. The school will need to get the letter from local office of the Education Ministry. The following from the MFA website may help.

"Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission."

2. Info for getting it is here: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

Both are listed here in this PDF they now have posted on Vientiane website. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B%20teacher.pdf

So Joe, if I go with the pcscenter, this will be enough to satisfy Immigration in Vientiane? I just don't want to have that, then I go back

and they tell me I need something from the US Embassy?

And, in the list of requirements for the criminal check it is all straight forward, except for this:

 Letter from the Embassy for Request check to objectives

Edited by jimcarr65

The police clearance certificate will be accepted by consular section.

From this file that lists the requirements, http://pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/filedownload/infomation-service-4.pdf

"For work -Hire Contract/Work permit/Job offer from the employer company -Letter guarantee from the employer company"

The letter from the embassy would be for a person applying for a visa to a country other than Thailand.

Ok last thing, under the requirements for police check. It says, you need police clearance from your "local" agency. If I live in Chonburi,

is this what that means? Or do they mean "local" as in back in the USA? Last question Joe. I consider myself a fairly smart man, but this

wording and process is driving me nuts.

I asked the guy at Immigration and he pretended not to hear me. Absolutely no help. Just circled the things I needed and sat back in his chair. I totally understand the reason for the checks and agree with them 100 percent as they need to protect the student's from the creeps, but this inconsistency of sometimes you need this, sometimes you don't is very discouraging and now after two years here I understand why some teachers just give up and move on.

Edited by jimcarr65

Ok last thing, under the requirements for police check. It says, you need police clearance from your "local" agency. If I live in Chonburi,

is this what that means? Or do they mean "local" as in back in the USA? Last question Joe. I consider myself a fairly smart man, but this

wording and process is driving me nuts.

I asked the guy at Immigration and he pretended not to hear me. Absolutely no help. Just circled the things I needed and sat back in his chair. I totally understand the reason for the checks and agree with them 100 percent as they need to protect the student's from the creeps, but this inconsistency of sometimes you need this, sometimes you don't is very discouraging and now after two years here I understand why some teachers just give up and move on.

If you have been here two years a Thai Police check should be enough. ( http://pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/filedownload/infomation-service-4.pdf )

The "wording" may be a problem for some but stop and think about how you would manage if the wording was in Thai and no effort was made to translate that to English

Joe, have another question for you.

When I get those two documents that the Thai Consulate are looking for to give me the Non-B, do I have to go

back to Vientiane, or can I change my tourist visa into a Non-B inside Thailand?

Joe, have another question for you.

When I get those two documents that the Thai Consulate are looking for to give me the Non-B, do I have to go

back to Vientiane, or can I change my tourist visa into a Non-B inside Thailand?

You can try but only in Bangkok and you will need at least 15 days of your current permission to stay remaining. Two visits to immigration will be needed.

Most people find it easier to secure "B" visas in Vientiane or Penang (Malaysia)

I will then go back to Vientiane. Update on my experience at the Police Clearance Center can be found under the 'Teaching in Thailand Forum'. I was successful in handing in the paperwork and now the wait is two weeks for the report.