Birds in your garden

Apologise for the quality of this image, 50 metres away and all I had was my little pocket camera.

Don't know what they are called in Thailand, in Australia they are called a Willy Wagtail in W.A. at least.

( Couldn't bring it up any bigger )

DSC01271.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Apologise for the quality of this image, 50 metres away and all I had was my little pocket camera.

Don't know what they are called in Thailand, in Australia they are called a Willy Wagtail in W.A. at least.

( Couldn't bring it up any bigger )

DSC01271.JPG

Technically...Oriental Magpie Robin, but Magpie Robin works. They are not the same species however, despite similar appearance.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

Sunday 7th day after hatching

Sadly today there is only one chick - Siblicide? - it's a bit of mystery as the missing chick isn't to be seen. We spent the day wondering if a tokay took it or it fell to the ground and something took it. We don't know.

Here's the parents keeping watch

LINE_MOVIE_1497788544360.mp4

Sad to report that the chick didn’t make it. Not sure why.

Yesterday afternoon it seemed a bit unresponsive but early evening as seen in one of the videos I posted yesterday it was crying for food. The mum was in the nest last night. At 6am my wife sent me a message to say that the chick was dead in the nest. At 6.50am she sent another message to say the chick was gone but the mum was still around. Do parent birds remove chicks from the nest - it was a week old and a reasonable size?

Enjoyable 3 weeks watching the development but as we feared it/they didn’t make it. We now have a greater appreciation of how tough and dangerous it is for egg/chicks to develop.

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sad to report that the chick didn’t make it. Not sure why.

Yesterday afternoon it seemed a bit unresponsive but early evening as seen in one of the videos I posted yesterday it was crying for food. The mum was in the nest last night. At 6am my wife sent me a message to say that the chick was dead in the nest. At 6.50am she sent another message to say the chick was gone but the mum was still around. Do parent birds remove chicks from the nest - it was a week old and a reasonable size?

Enjoyable 3 weeks watching the development but as we feared it/they didn’t make it. We now have a greater appreciation of how tough and dangerous it is for egg/chicks to develop.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting story despite the sad ending for both nestlings. Hopefully get a better outcome next time. As I shared earlier, we had Scaly-breasted Munias nest in a cactus on our 5th floor Bangkok lanai and successfully fledged 2 young last month. GF was really missing "her" birds and a month later and they are back rebuilding a nest in the same cactus! 

18 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks for sharing. Interesting story despite the sad ending for both nestlings. Hopefully get a better outcome next time. As I shared earlier, we had Scaly-breasted Munias nest in a cactus on our 5th floor Bangkok lanai and successfully fledged 2 young last month. GF was really missing "her" birds and a month later and they are back rebuilding a nest in the same cactus! 

Actually it was your posts that made me 'chronicle' the 3 weeks.

• Like 1