Birds in your garden

18 hours ago, jack2964 said:

I heard screeching Indian mynas out my backyard and knew something was bothering them. Grabbed the camera and made it to the backyard just in time to see this being mobbed by a pair of mynas.

Sorry for the truly awful pic but could this be Shikra?

sparrowhawk.JPG

Shikra for me, tail bars, hint of a red eye(male), 5 fingers. That said, Accipiters are difficult, but I have taken a lot of shots these last few months of a bird that hangs around my patch(see previous posts with images) and this one looks the same!

• Like 2

Please if you are a photographer and use the forum to try to upload your images.

Would you please try to help us resolve some issues, which have been plaguing uploads lately... we hope it will help pin point some problems.

Please take a few minutes to help!

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/978331-survey-to-find-how-members-post-images-on-thaivisa-forums/#comment-11796726

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere close by in the trees there a bird that calls almost all day and into the early evening. The best description I can give for it's call is a loud shrill  tooWEEEoh. It is quite piercing at times.

Generally the couple of greater couls with their Woopwoopwoop set it off.

I cannot get any sight of at all.

Any ideas?

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Somewhere close by in the trees there a bird that calls almost all day and into the early evening. The best description I can give for it's call is a loud shrill  tooWEEEoh. It is quite piercing at times.

Generally the couple of greater couls with their Woopwoopwoop set it off.

I cannot get any sight of at all.

Any ideas?

Asian Koel probably. See and hear here: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Asian Koel probably. See and hear here: 

100% that's it. I can copy the whistle back and it gets faster and faster replying and sounds really irrate at the end.

Still haven't managed to get a look at it though.

Edited by overherebc

At times we get it, the plovers and the greater coul all going at the same time and it stops any conversation until they shut up.When the big tookay in the garage joins in you can probably imagine the combined noise.

??

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

At times we get it, the plovers and the greater coul all going at the same time and it stops any conversation until they shut up.When the big tookay in the garage joins in you can probably imagine the combined noise.

??

a rural Thailand lullaby....

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

a rural Thailand lullaby....

Sometimes the GSD joins in with a howl and looks really sad when I tell her to shut up or even sometimes I join in. Wife thinks I'm loopy but laughs with it. Depends on how many GT's.

??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

What is this ?. Looks like a Russet Sparrow but i can only see its distribution as a winter visitor to Northern Thailand, i live in Saiyok, Kanchanaburi which seems a bit out of the way or am i completely wrong.

DSC00280.JPG

While similar to Russet Sparrow, what you have here is a Plain-backed Sparrow (male). Russet does not have the grey collar shown in your pic, but otherwise the birds are quite similar...except that PB has a a grey forehead & crown, which can't be seen in this angle. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

This from years back when I lived in Surin, but somehow this Cinnamon Bittern ended up under a bed in one of my spare rooms with my dogs going nuts. The bird was unharmed and releases moments after this photo was taken. Keep your eye out for Black Bitterns now, as they are wet season visitors. 

Cinn Bittern.jpg

Nice click AjarnNorth!

Any other birds to look out for in rainy season. I ask because apart from my Cinnamon Bittern things are a bit quite here!

7 hours ago, thetefldon said:

Nice click AjarnNorth!

Any other birds to look out for in rainy season. I ask because apart from my Cinnamon Bittern things are a bit quite here!

The bigger question may be...any other birds to look out for UNDER OUR BEDS?!? :vampire:

• Like 2

What makes me laugh is one of the rudest things to say in Thai is kee Nok
Bird shxt ! I always try to tell them if a bird Shxts on you in England it is considered lucky ![emoji846]