Birds in your garden

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe this might be Germain's Swiftlet- be interested in your thought's. It would be way out of area if I am correct(remember I live 350km north of Bangkok). The pics are not great and a bit overexposed.

My ID based on tail notch for Swiftlet sp. and wing shape plus erratic zig zag flight pattern for Germain's

Over to you!

unid-2.jpg

swiflet.jpg

swiflet-4.jpg

Apologise for the quality of this image, 50 metres away and all I had was my little pocket camera.

Don't know what they are called in Thailand, in Australia they are called a Willy Wagtail in W.A. at least.

( Couldn't bring it up any bigger )

DSC01271.JPG

2 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Apologise for the quality of this image, 50 metres away and all I had was my little pocket camera.

Don't know what they are called in Thailand, in Australia they are called a Willy Wagtail in W.A. at least.

( Couldn't bring it up any bigger )

DSC01271.JPG

Technically...Oriental Magpie Robin, but Magpie Robin works. They are not the same species however, despite similar appearance.

Little Green Bee-eater common enough bird although not so here. Just lately had  few hanging out round the house so a couple of images for you to cheer up a rainy season day(miserable here in Phetchabun).

Juvenile bird-multi coloured coat and no tail prong

green bee eater.jpg

greenbeeeater-2.jpg

Sunday 7th day after hatching

Sadly today there is only one chick - Siblicide? - it's a bit of mystery as the missing chick isn't to be seen. We spent the day wondering if a tokay took it or it fell to the ground and something took it. We don't know.

Here's the parents keeping watch

LINE_MOVIE_1497788544360.mp4

Sad to report that the chick didn’t make it. Not sure why.

Yesterday afternoon it seemed a bit unresponsive but early evening as seen in one of the videos I posted yesterday it was crying for food. The mum was in the nest last night. At 6am my wife sent me a message to say that the chick was dead in the nest. At 6.50am she sent another message to say the chick was gone but the mum was still around. Do parent birds remove chicks from the nest - it was a week old and a reasonable size?

Enjoyable 3 weeks watching the development but as we feared it/they didn’t make it. We now have a greater appreciation of how tough and dangerous it is for egg/chicks to develop.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Yesterday afternoon it seemed a bit unresponsive but early evening as seen in one of the videos I posted yesterday it was crying for food. The mum was in the nest last night. At 6am my wife sent me a message to say that the chick was dead in the nest. At 6.50am she sent another message to say the chick was gone but the mum was still around. Do parent birds remove chicks from the nest - it was a week old and a reasonable size?

Enjoyable 3 weeks watching the development but as we feared it/they didn’t make it. We now have a greater appreciation of how tough and dangerous it is for egg/chicks to develop.

Sorry to hear they did not make it.  Yes some species of birds will throw out dead chicks.

It's very likely they will try again pretty soon.. so get ready for round 2.

I had a similar situation last year... not sure species of bird... yellowy brown with long tail.. and lighter yellow/grey under body.  Bigger than red whiskered bulbul....almost like a mini nightingale...  anyway.. nested on our patio in a potted shrub.. right next to the window so we could watch everything. 

Parents very nervous and would fly off nest at slightest movement... often leaving the eggs for long time... I was surprised when both eggs hatched.  Watched the chicks grow... fast.

Then at fledging time I watched them leave the nest and flutter about on the patio.  Sadly at that moment my other half came home and opened the back door to let the dog out.. and the dog made a dash to the baby birds and beat me to it... swallowing down one chick in one go.

The other chick fluttered away into the undergrowth and escaped totally untouched... the dog spent the rest of the day in disgrace locked inside the house!!! 

This year they have come back and nested in exactly the same place!  Just saw the 2 eggs yesterday.  This time will be very wary of my dog at fledging time. 

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Thanks for sharing. Interesting story despite the sad ending for both nestlings. Hopefully get a better outcome next time. As I shared earlier, we had Scaly-breasted Munias nest in a cactus on our 5th floor Bangkok lanai and successfully fledged 2 young last month. GF was really missing "her" birds and a month later and they are back rebuilding a nest in the same cactus! 

18 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks for sharing. Interesting story despite the sad ending for both nestlings. Hopefully get a better outcome next time. As I shared earlier, we had Scaly-breasted Munias nest in a cactus on our 5th floor Bangkok lanai and successfully fledged 2 young last month. GF was really missing "her" birds and a month later and they are back rebuilding a nest in the same cactus! 

Actually it was your posts that made me 'chronicle' the 3 weeks.

As previously mentioned, we tore out the old Scaly-breasted Munia nest to prevent Tree Sparrows from using it. Now the Munias have returned. Presumably the same pair as they are busy building in the exact same cactus on our lanai and almost done, it appears. 

5427.jpg.99f6d1b7b2ef8e50072798fec4bd339d.jpg

5429.jpg.a504fc447dc01ba385026b818e6a002d.jpg

5938.jpg.519eb5dc1990a17b9988e0b3b76389fc.jpg

Nothing special. Taken from the Bangkok porch yesterday evening. Coppersmith Barbet. Common throughout Thailand so if you haven't seen one you haven't been looking but you've definitely heard it. Named after its call which is supposed to be similar to that of a coppersmith at work.

CSB.jpg

These nests not in my yard, but in a patch of fish ponds and inland mangroves about 1 mile from my place in Bangsaen, Chonburi. Both are Black-winged Stilt nests, clutch of four eggs in each. Last year and friend and I found two BWS nests in the same area and visited each for a number of consecutive days and were lucky enough to see the hatching of one nest. I will post those pics later if I can find them. 

Patch1.jpg

Patch2.jpg

Patch5.jpg

Above I posted pics of Black-winged Stilt nests. These pics are from 2015 of BWS hatching. It was also a clutch of four eggs, and it may be that when we came upon the final two the parent birds had already moved the two hatched fledgling away. 

BWS 0.jpg

BWS 1.jpg

BWS 2.jpg

BWS 3.jpg

Archived